Need help finding a used or reman engine - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Engine Performance This forum is for discussion on gas, oil, exhaust and all things engine related.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Need help finding a used or reman engine

For the last 6 months or so I have been looking for either a reman or used engine for a 2011 FJ. Both me and a shop who has agreed to do the work have found it most difficult to locate an engine. We've had a few decent leads but they have all fallen through for one reason or another. Do you guys know of any good resources that I can use to find me an engine? I have been perusing car-part.com with no success and even a few reman companies I have reached out to said they do not offer the 1GR-FE. I would love to hear your opinions on how I should go about this search. Thank you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 11:17 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Quoted: 1395 Post(s)
Re: Need help finding used or reman engine

Quote:
cajnman previously said: View Post
For the last 6 months or so I have been looking for either a reman or used engine for a 2011 FJ. Both me and a shop who has agreed to do the work have found it most difficult to locate an engine. We've had a few decent leads but they have all fallen through for one reason or another. Do you guys know of any good resources that I can use to find me an engine? I have been perusing car-part.com with no success and even a few reman companies I have reached out to said they do not offer the 1GR-FE. I would love to hear your opinions on how I should go about this search. Thank you all!
What happened to the original engine, and why is it not repairable/rebuildable?
debFJVT likes this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:25 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Garage

https://www.jasperengines.com/blog/j...40l-v6-engines

https://www.powertrainproducts.net/T...GINE-p/191.htm

https://www.jegs.com/p/ATK-Engines/A...&Tab=SKU&No=60

Remanufactured Toyota Engines

https://carpartplanet.com/engines/?M...430&PartType=2

hope this helps. you might also want to consider this if you find an engine and get a local guy to do the rebuild:

BrianCrower.com | RunBC.com // Hyundai // 1GRFE V6

the only way to grab big hp out of this engine is either a supercharger or a long stroke crank kit...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

The engine got sludged out in 2013 with 33000 miles. It's been sitting ever since and I'd like to get it running again. Especially when my current vehicle is giving me problems. I was told rebuilding it would be risky and the best option would be to find a used or reman engine.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thank you for the links longtooth. I know Jasper doesn't reman the 1GR-FE. Jegs and Powertrain don't offer the dual VVT for the 2010-2014 model years. Neither does carpart planet and engine world. Also, there is a bit of a pucker factor when attempting to buy these engines sight unseen from across the country. It's hard to know who you can trust, ya know?
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:48 AM
Forum Regular

Garage

Your best bet, IMHO, is to find a local shop that rebuilds or hotrods engines.

Are you a cajun? If so, where? I got a LOT of oilfield friends and family in BR...might can help you out finding.

If you get a local, and tell him you have 3-4 grand to work with to get a good rebuild, then you can likely take your engine out and get it reworked by someone who will try to help you and not just sell you a long block he got from elsewhere.

You might also just keep an eye out here on the forum. I've seen 2-3 being parted out due to collisions in the last few months.

I have 328K miles on mine, so I am also keeping an eye out for a used engine at a reasonable price. I know my Hell***** has been great, but she is getting long in the tooth as well. And with the engines, you can go for the upgraded VVT-i that came out in '09 maybe? And remember that the Tacoma has the same powerplant...
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:57 AM
Forum Regular

Garage

Another question, as I just reread your original post:

Is there a reason you must have the VVT-1? Or can you just go with the standard 1-grfe pre-'09?

I am thinking and trying for 500,000 miles on this engine when running full synthetic in them. I got 500,000 out of my old 22R 4 cylinder, so am hoping for similar and then drop in rebuilt or low mileage long block.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 09:23 AM
Forum Regular

Garage

OK - I just located these guys - I talked to a young man I know that is working for a dealership here in Houston and got this referral:

https://gearheadengines.com/contact-us/

They do rebuilds for Gulf States Toyota dealerships and offer 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. Their long block goes for about $4300 and is all new bearings, seals, timing chain, etc along with a rebore and honing to the next size pistons Toyo offers rebuilders. I spoke to them on the phone, and they have your engine. I am likely to use them myself when the time comes, because the guy I spoke to knew what he was talking about WRT Toyo engines and interchangeability across models.

They are located in Grand Prairie, TX, and they ship the long block to you and you can ship your engine core back to them on the same truck. Strongly suggest you call them and have a chat.

Please let me know if you go with them and how it works out - my Hell***** needs to keep on going and going and then let my grandson go yet more...
Hannibal and Uncharted like this.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

longtooth, I really appreciate the replies here. I am a cajun and reside in Lafayette. I am only considering the 2010-2014 out of consideration for my local shop who has agreed to install the motor. I appreciate the info on gearhead engines, as well. Because I'm at work I'm unable to speak on the phone but I did get in touch with a rep over email and that person told me that unfortunately that product is not currently available. Maybe I would have more luck speaking to someone or maybe the employees aren't all up to date on their current inventory. I'll try to call them when I get off to see if they have a different answer for me. Their website and the email communication I have had lends me to believe they are a professional operation, so thank you for the tip. Good luck getting to 500k! My '99 tacoma is at 350K but I don't know if she has another 150 in her
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 01:00 PM
Forum Regular

Garage

I did talk to a guy there and he said there was no issue with the 1-grfe rebuilds. It may be they just don't have any right now, and since yours is sitting - you can send it in and the core won't be an issue. I would definitely keep trying to get someone who knows - wish I had got the guys name for you, but was just trying to help.

And btw mon petite chou - I lived in Lafayette for many years. I remember taking my old international down the Atchafalaya levee during a Cat2 storm to deliver a drill bit!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Engine Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in