Louisiana to Alaska Overlanding Rig Suggestions - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Expedition Specific Equipment If it is unique or integral to Expeditions, it should be discussed here.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 03:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Louisiana to Alaska Overlanding Rig Suggestions

Quote:
Anh previously said: View Post
I have an ambitious goal for my FJ. I want to meet up with a friend (next year at the earliest) who moved up to Alaska a couple years ago and go camping with him up in his new bayou (we're from Louisiana).

I want to piece my FJ to accommodate this trip from Louisiana > Alaska (some nights camping, some nights visiting family and street parking my rig a night or two), pretty much an overlanding rig set for weather that will progressively get colder (not freezing as I plan to go in the Alaskan summer). That's the ultimate goal for this rig, but I will also be using this rig to head to events and further south to do beach camping as well.

I'm starting with a bone stock 2008 TT with 163,xxx miles. So far I'm planning -

General fluid maintenance -
  • Brake fluid
  • Power steering fluid
  • Radiator fluid
  • Transmission fluid
  • Differential Fluid

General wear and tear items -
  • Brake pads
  • Brake rotors
  • Belts
  • Battery (having trouble cranking in the morning in this 80 degree weather) OEM Toyota again or Odyssey?
  • Tires (waiting on the DTD eBay $100 off $400 deal to come back) 285/75/16 General Grabber ATX or Cooper ST Maxx
  • Spark plugs

Upgrades -
  • Suspension - 2.5 Toytec front, Toytec rear struts with 650 springs, SPC UCA's
  • Headlights - Either just HID bulbs or projectors
  • Roof rack - Waiting for the Expedition One roof rack pre sale
  • Front bumper - Waiting for the Expedition One President's Day sale
  • Winch
  • Roof top tent - ARB for the cost most likely
  • Hi-lift jack
  • Drawer setup in the rear of the FJ cargo area
  • On board air compressor (either under the hood or where the OEM jack is)
  • Snorkel

What I'm mainly looking for are suggestions as to what else should be maintained/prepped/upgraded before driving from Louisiana to Alaska with the end goal of camping? I'm trying to stay in a budget of $10,000 total for everything. I'll be doing all of the labor myself, as I have access to an in ground rack on weeknights and weekends. I don't have the budget for fancy stuff but certain things I'm willing to put more of the budget towards if it's important (like suspension). I also usually buy things on sale so suggestions as to what other sales to hold out for would be great as well.

Thanks!
My Vote is with the suspension lift kit upgrade plus with spares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 06:12 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Anh previously said: View Post
All really great information! I actually did not know about the no DUI's to get into Canada, never even been out of the country. I have time to mull this over and piece it together as I go, but everything here is laying a great baseline to work off of. Also lots of stuff I didn't even think of, dust covers, pulleys, Canadian money, etc.

Thank you all for the help! I'm mostly a lurker, but if I can get things moving into motion, I'll update this thread. Time to start a spreadsheet with estimated costs and allocating my budget around.
Just to be clear, your American money will be accepted, just that either you'll get screwed on the exchange rate or won't get any... And at 0.75 cdn/1us like it is right now, it starts to show.

Bilsteins 5100, Metal Tech Rear Long Travel, Camburgs Balljoint UCAs, Full Ricochet Skid Plates, All Pro Sliders, RESZ Fab rear LCAs , Luna Dual Battery, Cooper STT PRo 35s on 16' Mickey Thompson Classic Baja Locks, FJToyman Shock Skids, Total Chaos lower link Skids, Boztec Dif Skid, Exp1 front Diamond Bumper, Exp1 Rear Bumper with Carrier, Viper winch, Ricochet Lighted Air Dam
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 09:49 AM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 2592 Post(s)

There's a Passport Card, kind of like a drivers license if you don't need a full stamp Passport book, that they issue for a little less money.

The passport card is a limited travel document, valid only for land and sea travel within North America (Canada, the United States, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda). It cannot be used for international air travel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United..._Passport_Card
Thorn661 and DBCooper like this.

トヨタ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 06:38 AM
Forum Beer Miester

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Garage

Any updates?
Hannibal and Iconic_ like this.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 09:48 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage

I actually have the same trip planned, as a matter of fact, I was supposed to go last year. Elderly parent stuff ...... I am just throwing my thoughts out there as there is no right or wrong ......... generally speaking.

I would stick to stock size tires for this trip. With the 285's you will take what I believe is the biggest hit on gas mileage next to the roof top tent. You will be driving a LOT of miles.

With that said, a "hard shell" RTT will also cut down on the gas mileage loss over a "conventional canvas type", as it is much more streamline.

The gas savings alone over a 10000 (possibly more) mile trip will somewhat offset the higher cost of a hard shell RTT. The "bad" tradeoff with a hard shell tent is the smaller size when it is set up.
Ease of setup and takedown should be considered as, at least for me, it is going to be a daily event. The hard shell tent wins here.

For what it's worth, a friend of mine did this trip 3 years ago. When he got back he made it very clear that he hauled "way to much stuff" and that his next trip up to Alaska would be with a rig "similar" to mine/yours.

As always, Your Mileage Will Vary (pun intended)

BrewsterII

Achilles ......
Unequivocally, the most radical, baddest, highly modified 4X4 in my driveway.

"It's not just a truck, it's a 4 wheel drive man cave."

Last edited by BrewsterII; 06-03-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Expeditions > Expedition Specific Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in