Louisiana to Alaska Overlanding Rig Suggestions - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Expedition Specific Equipment If it is unique or integral to Expeditions, it should be discussed here.

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Anh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Louisiana to Alaska Overlanding Rig Suggestions

I have an ambitious goal for my FJ. I want to meet up with a friend (next year at the earliest) who moved up to Alaska a couple years ago and go camping with him up in his new bayou (we're from Louisiana).

I want to piece my FJ to accommodate this trip from Louisiana > Alaska (some nights camping, some nights visiting family and street parking my rig a night or two), pretty much an overlanding rig set for weather that will progressively get colder (not freezing as I plan to go in the Alaskan summer). That's the ultimate goal for this rig, but I will also be using this rig to head to events and further south to do beach camping as well.

I'm starting with a bone stock 2008 TT with 163,xxx miles. So far I'm planning -

General fluid maintenance -
  • Brake fluid
  • Power steering fluid
  • Radiator fluid
  • Transmission fluid
  • Differential Fluid

General wear and tear items -
  • Brake pads
  • Brake rotors
  • Belts
  • Battery (having trouble cranking in the morning in this 80 degree weather) OEM Toyota again or Odyssey?
  • Tires (waiting on the DTD eBay $100 off $400 deal to come back) 285/75/16 General Grabber ATX or Cooper ST Maxx
  • Spark plugs

Upgrades -
  • Suspension - 2.5 Toytec front, Toytec rear struts with 650 springs, SPC UCA's
  • Headlights - Either just HID bulbs or projectors
  • Roof rack - Waiting for the Expedition One roof rack pre sale
  • Front bumper - Waiting for the Expedition One President's Day sale
  • Winch
  • Roof top tent - ARB for the cost most likely
  • Hi-lift jack
  • Drawer setup in the rear of the FJ cargo area
  • On board air compressor (either under the hood or where the OEM jack is)
  • Snorkel

What I'm mainly looking for are suggestions as to what else should be maintained/prepped/upgraded before driving from Louisiana to Alaska with the end goal of camping? I'm trying to stay in a budget of $10,000 total for everything. I'll be doing all of the labor myself, as I have access to an in ground rack on weeknights and weekends. I don't have the budget for fancy stuff but certain things I'm willing to put more of the budget towards if it's important (like suspension). I also usually buy things on sale so suggestions as to what other sales to hold out for would be great as well.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 08:57 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Louisiana to Alaska Overlanding Rig Suggestions

When i bought my FJ . the reason behind it was to make the Alaska drive . And i am doing that . But i also am doing a Bunch of other things as well with it . I went to Cruise Moab , Going to the Rubithon (most likely Not going to run the Rubicon just yet ) maybe just poke my toe in a little LOL . Then Its Back to Moab to wheel with the Big Dogs before making my way to the FJ Summit . From there its The Sierra Trek . Then the Rubicon for MCR .. I try and take it out at least 1 day a week just running logging roads or what ever i can find . My Fj is set up with alot of the same parts that you are looking to get . It is very capable . one thing i would suggest is Rear Lower Links and lower link skids . I also run FJtoyman shock skids . the 2.5 rear shocks are not cheap . . Rock Sliders are a Must . with Tires and suspension you are going to be real close to the half way mark of your budget . i have a ARB under my hood i just installed and i am happy with it so far . Not alot of real estate in the rear of the FJ .
debFJVT and Anh like this.

09 AT Toytec Boss performance 3inch lift, Demello sliders , TRD brakes , MT offset Lower links . Rad Rubber splash guards ,Cobra CB,
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 09:24 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2552 Post(s)
Garage

I think your list looks great. I'd skip the snorkel personally but don't let me stop you. You'll also want recovery gear for sure, spare belt and other spare parts you can think of. Set of tools, bug spray, knowledge of the workings on your vehicle which you'll gain in the garage weeks before hand hopefully.

Rock sliders and lower links are in case you plan to do some rock crawling but if your sticking to the roads I'd go without.

I would not go OEM Toyota battery BTW. None will last like the original as dealer replacements are generally cheap junk. Do yourself a favor and get a real upgrade via a deep cycle AGM marine battery and voltage booster.

Also you can add USB outlets if needed, fridge would be very handy. Awning? Tire plug kit? Portable battery jump starter? Medical kit? Bungees and straps for the roof rack (who knows if you might have to put things up there midway thru). You'll end up using all those little pieces of gear stuffed away in your storage drawers often.

Most of all just have fun! Most of us would love to do something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 09:50 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)

And to add . Some sort of Fuel tank . the range of the FJ is not the best .
Anh likes this.

09 AT Toytec Boss performance 3inch lift, Demello sliders , TRD brakes , MT offset Lower links . Rad Rubber splash guards ,Cobra CB,
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 05:53 AM
Forum Beer Miester

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 2046 Post(s)
Garage

I agree you need a plan for extra fuel, loaded down the FJ will be at best lackluster on mileage.
Anh likes this.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 06:43 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Garage

If you plan on crossing the border with firearms ( handguns ) know that they are prohibited in Canada, they won't get in , and you either if caught( you know you need to cross into Canada to go there, right ? ) . You can cross with hunting riffles and ammo , if you declare them at border. You need a Passeport and no criminal records... DUh, i know, but i have US friends that still don't know this...

I would bring spare parts like spare belt, tie rods, ball joints ( not that those parts are not available everywhere, but it will be faster if you break down and get to a mechanic, to have them in hand )

Which way are planning to come up ? Through the prairies, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan , or through British Columbia ? Also know that the gas up here is expensive... Right now it's around 1.30 to 1.45$/L that's about 5.30$/g for regular...Get some Canadian money if you don't want to get screwed on the exchange rate, or a good no exchange fee card.
Anh and DBCooper like this.

Bilsteins 5100, Metal Tech Rear Long Travel, Camburgs Balljoint UCAs, Full Ricochet Skid Plates, All Pro Sliders, RESZ Fab rear LCAs , Luna Dual Battery, Cooper STT PRo 35s on 16' Mickey Thompson Classic Baja Locks, FJToyman Shock Skids, Total Chaos lower link Skids, Boztec Dif Skid, Exp1 front Diamond Bumper, Exp1 Rear Bumper with Carrier, Viper winch, Ricochet Lighted Air Dam

Last edited by Cholerabob; 05-31-2018 at 11:13 AM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 07:02 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 2110 Post(s)
Garage

Agree with all above answers, and would add: swap transfer case fluid and do a brake fluid and coolant flush. How are your pulleys and serpentine? Water crossings (would guess thereís lots of that in AK) tend to upset OE open pulleys. I have Gates pulleys and no issues. Also one of my favorite mods for my annual cross country drives is replacement side mirrors - TrailToys super wide angle...zero blind spot and huge sarety advantage IMO
Thorn661, Anh, DBCooper and 1 others like this.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 08:29 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1462 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey

I would step back and reevaluate the list and separate what you truly need vs want for this trip.

One thing to consider is - gravel. You will see a lot of gravel, gravel is a *****. Gravel = dust.
Coilover covers on the front
Shock boots
Rad Rubber engine bay rubber
Snorkel would be good to elevate the intake out of the dust.
debFJVT, Anh and DBCooper like this.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 10:32 AM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 2610 Post(s)

Read Tcao's AK Road trip thread. https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...adventure.html

No DUI convictions or you won't get across the northern border. Handguns have to be shipped to & from an FFL up there.

Love my Exp-1 Kodiak bumper and matching step/sliders!!!
Anh likes this.

End Defense Free Zones. 89% of Mass Shootings occur in "Gun Free Zones"

oderint dum metuant

トヨタ
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Anh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

All really great information! I actually did not know about the no DUI's to get into Canada, never even been out of the country. I have time to mull this over and piece it together as I go, but everything here is laying a great baseline to work off of. Also lots of stuff I didn't even think of, dust covers, pulleys, Canadian money, etc.

Thank you all for the help! I'm mostly a lurker, but if I can get things moving into motion, I'll update this thread. Time to start a spreadsheet with estimated costs and allocating my budget around.
Hannibal and DBCooper like this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Expeditions > Expedition Specific Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in