FJ design analysis in March Automobile mag - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
air
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FJ design analysis in March Automobile mag

the march issue has a two page analysis of every aspect of the FJ's design. Tis mighty interesting.

"FJ's designers are really proud of mirrors with incorporated indicator lamps, which they expected would be left out of production; the project leader saw to it they stayed."

really? what are they for?

"... toyota builds the highest-quality and most reliable vehicles on the road..."

here here

"What I like about the FJ is that it evokes several past Land Cruisers without actually copying them. It is a proper great-grandchild, not a clone of the matriarch, so if there are sufficient physical traits to tell you the family to which it belongs, the new FJ itself is not a retro design, as least not as I see it."

"I admire the roof profile with the dropping kink at the back."

"One detail I despise is the exterior spare wheel unprotected by the rear bumper, a nasty feature that has resulted in countless dented hoods on ordinary cars when careless SUV owners back in to parking spots."

"... The FJ has a good stance and an ineffable charm that seems to elude American SUVs. Detroit could do it, but in-house procedures that have brought Detroit to the brink of ruin won't allow it. Pity."

ON THE REAR LIGHTS: "Completely modern lamps on all four corners define vehicle perimieter from all approach angles."

C-PILLAR: "Poor rear visibility engendered by massive C-pillar seems unnecessary, more a matter of styling than of any real need. This is a car, not a delivery truck."

FRONT FENDERS: "Nice little undercut in painted metal emphasizes horizontal fender tops. For a square-cut form, there is a great deal of subtle shaping going on in the FJ's surface."

ROOF RACK: "Car looks much better without a roof rack, but at least the approved accessory is genuinely robust and offers plenty of tie-down possibilities."

i will have to disagree and say it looks bald without the roof rack.

SPARE TIRE: "Too-high spare tire is an SUV tradition to expunge. Bad design lets the tire be FJ's rear bumper. INevitably there will be damage to cars parked behind it, not to mention to the FJ's rear door."

ROOF PROFILE: "Roof profile dropping off sharply at the back improves stance of entire vehicle, giving it a thrust-forward look."

FUEL DOOR: "Flush gas cap door is a false note for a vehicle meant to be rugged, tool-like, and practical. It is the sort of thing expected on a sedan, accepted on a luxury station wagon, and rejected on an off-roader."

i don't really understand this. for one thing, the FJ IS rugged and practical, not merely 'meant to be.'

ON THE THREE THINGS SITTING ATOP THE DASH (incline, something, something): "Sticking these gauges on top of the panel is meant to seem direct and old-fashioned-engineering oriented, but streamlined housing confirms that it is yet another styling trick to influence preception."

What?! this is bogus. The HOUSING is that directs that?! No, no, no, this is some art-school bs. The housing merely indicates that toyota didn't want to waste money on three seperate housing things.

REAR SEATS: "With the rear half-doors folded back at 90 degrees, entrance to the fold-down rear seats is exceptionally easy."

Really? confirms what i've always thought: designers are short.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 06:18 PM
Forum Master

Re: FJ design analysis in March Automobile mag

I agree the back bumper/ both bumpers are a weakness. It is a small thing but I also agree that with the fuel cap thing.

It should be more like this

"Correct spelling, indeed, is one of the arts that are far more esteemed by schoolma'ams than by practical men, neck-deep in the heat and agony of the world." - Henry Louis Mencken, The American Language

http://newwestrecords.com/dbt - Music that Matters

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 06:31 PM

Quote:
air previously said:
"FJ's designers are really proud of mirrors with incorporated indicator lamps, which they expected would be left out of production; the project leader saw to it they stayed."

really? what are they for?
I guess the mirror lights will define the outer limits of the vehicle in darkness. Since the headlamps are closer to center, the FJ might seem like a much smaller vehicle in the dark. With the mirror lights, oncoming traffic might be more inclined to stay in their lane since it appears a larger vehicle is approaching. That, or the mirror lights will draw attention to the oncoming driver's eyes, causing the driver to move in the direction he is looking (which is natural), and thus causing him to crash into my Cruiser. Where is that ARB bumper? We need it now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
air previously said:
Useless. And plastic. Big win, guys.

Quote:
air previously said:
"What I like about the FJ is that it evokes several past Land Cruisers without actually copying them. It is a proper great-grandchild, not a clone of the matriarch, so if there are sufficient physical traits to tell you the family to which it belongs, the new FJ itself is not a retro design, as least not as I see it."
The original FJ was right. Departure from it is departure from the ideal. The modern world has been made hideous by designers fears of not being original.

Quote:
air previously said:

"I admire the roof profile with the dropping kink at the back."

Quote:
air previously said:
"One detail I despise is the exterior spare wheel unprotected by the rear bumper, a nasty feature that has resulted in countless dented hoods on ordinary cars when careless SUV owners back in to parking spots."
_rolls eyes_

Quote:
air previously said:
"... The FJ has a good stance and an ineffable charm that seems to elude American SUVs. Detroit could do it, but in-house procedures that have brought Detroit to the brink of ruin won't allow it. Pity."
Quite right. If ford put out an exact copy of a 1970's bronco today they would sell a ton. Just like if they put out an exact copy of a 1970's mustang... Hey, wait a minute!

Quote:
air previously said:
ON THE REAR LIGHTS: "Completely modern lamps on all four corners define vehicle perimieter from all approach angles."
And are totally irrelevant. The rear lights should be retangular, vertically oriented, flat and small.

The front turn signal lights should sit above the front wheel wells.

The current front turn signals spreads the already overly wide face of the vehicle.

Quote:
air previously said:
C-PILLAR: "Poor rear visibility engendered by massive C-pillar seems unnecessary, more a matter of styling than of any real need. This is a car, not a delivery truck."
And consider the poor saps who have to sit in back during a 5 hour trip to the mountains.

Quote:
air previously said:
FRONT FENDERS: "Nice little undercut in painted metal emphasizes horizontal fender tops. For a square-cut form, there is a great deal of subtle shaping going on in the FJ's surface."
Erm. Hmmm.

Quote:
air previously said:
ROOF PROFILE: "Roof profile dropping off sharply at the back improves stance of entire vehicle, giving it a thrust-forward look."
Which would be great. IF IT WERE A SPORTS CAR.

Quote:
air previously said:
ON THE THREE THINGS SITTING ATOP THE DASH (incline, something, something): "Sticking these gauges on top of the panel is meant to seem direct and old-fashioned-engineering oriented, but streamlined housing confirms that it is yet another styling trick to influence preception."

What?! this is bogus. The HOUSING is that directs that?! No, no, no, this is some art-school bs. The housing merely indicates that toyota didn't want to waste money on three seperate housing things.
Agree with air. Would have liked less plastic.

Cheers,
prat
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Herky previously said:
I guess the mirror lights will define the outer limits of the vehicle in darkness. Since the headlamps are closer to center, the FJ might seem like a much smaller vehicle in the dark. With the mirror lights, oncoming traffic might be more inclined to stay in their lane since it appears a larger vehicle is approaching.
interesting, I thought they are completely useless, but now...hmm...interesting point.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Forum Master

Quote:
praetorian previously said:
Useless. And plastic. Big win, guys.

The original FJ was right. Departure from it is departure from the ideal. The modern world has been made hideous by designers fears of not being original.

_rolls eyes_

Quite right. If ford put out an exact copy of a 1970's bronco today they would sell a ton. Just like if they put out an exact copy of a 1970's mustang... Hey, wait a minute!

And are totally irrelevant. The rear lights should be retangular, vertically oriented, flat and small.

The front turn signal lights should sit above the front wheel wells.

The current front turn signals spreads the already overly wide face of the vehicle.

And consider the poor saps who have to sit in back during a 5 hour trip to the mountains.

Erm. Hmmm.

Which would be great. IF IT WERE A SPORTS CAR.

Agree with air. Would have liked less plastic.

Cheers,
prat
Your quite pratish about the vehicle prat. I beg to ask are you intersted in it?

"Correct spelling, indeed, is one of the arts that are far more esteemed by schoolma'ams than by practical men, neck-deep in the heat and agony of the world." - Henry Louis Mencken, The American Language

http://newwestrecords.com/dbt - Music that Matters

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in