What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY? - Page 4042 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

49332Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #40411 of 44878 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 06:00 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Garage
Re: What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY?

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post
I'm not savvy about car detailing and most off the shelf stuff didn't work. My experience restoring the headlight with the ChrisFix method. Finished two weeks ago but finally had time to compile. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ta7jHzSwiA

Thatís a great vid..Iím amazed at how well that worked! They look brand new now.

Question for you..what made you choose HID bumper lights over the LED. I was thinking of going that route, but not sure. Do you like the light output better?

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40412 of 44878 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 07:32 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Garage

@FatJohnson Thanks for watching! These short videos are an addicting hobby as I'm always documenting. I was prepared to shell out some monies for some new housings if this didn't work out but phew! It came out better than I ever imagined.

Regarding my choice LEDs vs HIDs, the HIDs are a bit outdated and were a value buy for me. I needed increased lighting that was also lightweight and didn't burn a hole in my wallet, ie. 4 used lightforce 170 lamps costed less than one new BD squadron pro and only weighed .4oz more each. For the LED, there's not really many options when trying to satisfy light weight to power output. Baja Designs is the best in the business but costs a premium. When I strike the lottery jackpot, bd squadrons for everyone
bazross and FatJohnson like this.
post #40413 of 44878 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 07:40 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Garage
Added an Expedition One Kodiak & winch over the weekend. But they were attached to a 2nd FJ...an '08 TT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20180220_094138.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	1000354   Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20180220_094229.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	1000362  
Corey, Grillfish, bazross and 6 others like this.

Last edited by hupptoy; 02-20-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40414 of 44878 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 07:50 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said: View Post
For situations like this I'm fond of the tried and true pull test. If you pull on it now and it falls off you can blame it on the wind and get a replacement. If its going to happen might as well happen by your hands. And if it stays put you'll never worry if it will fly off driving down the highway.
I couldn't figure out how to multi-quote, but you've gotta be kidding me! I'll try the pull test. Thanks for the heads-up.
FatJohnson likes this.

2007 Sun Fusion 4WD Auto | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 w/ Cooper Discover STT Pro 33" | SPC/Light Racing UCAs | Shrockworks bumper, skid plates, sliders | 2" lift on Bilstein 6100s | Sonoran Steel rear lower links & panhard rod | RESZ Fab Link Mounts | Skyjacker rear upper links | Sony XAV-X100 head unit w/ backup camera | JBL sub and speakers
post #40415 of 44878 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 04:06 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Modding a previous mod. The door lamp is always live on this when tapped into the center dome (switched off or not). I've had the dome light added since last year lol and never added a $2 switch. The bugs love me no more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180221_142213-01.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	1000714  
ZerosFJ, debFJVT, FJFool and 2 others like this.
post #40416 of 44878 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 04:33 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Modding a previous mod. The door lamp is always live on this when tapped into the center dome (switched off or not). I've had the dome light added since last year lol and never added a $2 switch. The bugs love me no more.
G'Day JP,
How did you tap the dome light ?
Mine don't stay on....
Guess its too late now....but there is a method, when tapping the circuit in the A pillar, it is negative switched and operates only with doors open....
sorry..re reading your post, sounds like the whole dome light was an add on mod....
still the A pillar tap woulda worked....

Cheers
Baz
post #40417 of 44878 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 05:25 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

@bazross Yes exactly. This was an add-on overhead map light from a Suburban/Yukon. SwissArmySUV did the write up on the install. So I followed his directions and I tapped the door switch at the OEM center dome light (not the most ideal place but I assume it's the same negative switch as the circuit in the A-pillar). My added overhead center map light will always turn on when door open since there's no factory on/off. Possibly the Suburban/Yukon it came from has a factory dash switch. Thanks for the reference. It'll be good to know if I add any other door lights.
bazross likes this.
post #40418 of 44878 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 05:40 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
@bazross Yes exactly. This was an add-on overhead map light from a Suburban/Yukon. SwissArmySUV did the write up on the install. So I followed his directions and I tapped the door switch at the OEM center dome light (not the most ideal place but I assume it's the same negative switch as the circuit in the A-pillar). My added overhead center map light will always turn on when door open since there's no factory on/off. Possibly the Suburban/Yukon it came from has a factory dash switch. Thanks for the reference. It'll be good to know if I add any other door lights.
G'Day JP.
just for future reference
In the A pillar is a bundle of cables, one is a 3 wire flat white cable....
the middle wire is negative and the bottom wire is positive ( from memory ) tap those and the door lights ..and the Yukon light should come on with door open / off - with door closed.
Its not a huge powered circuit, so watch how much power you pull off it.... or run it to a relay in the kick panel and power heaps.
hahahahaha

cheers
Baz

ps, before tapping it.... disconnect the negative of the battery.... as quite a few have shorted circuits when you dont...doors not locking and other issues ..... all for a little extra light...hahahaha
jamesepoop likes this.
post #40419 of 44878 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 06:07 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Quote:
bazross previously said: View Post
In the A pillar is a bundle of cables, one is a 3 wire flat white cable....
the middle wire is negative and the bottom wire is positive ( from memory ) tap those and the door lights ..and the Yukon light should come on with door open / off - with door closed.
Its not a huge powered circuit, so watch how much power you pull off it.... or run it to a relay in the kick panel and power heaps.
hahahahaha
ps, before tapping it.... disconnect the negative of the battery.... as quite a few have shorted circuits when you dont...doors not locking and other issues ..... all for a little extra light...hahahaha
Absolutely disconnected the battery. I soldered the connections when running the taps. LOL doors not locking would not be a fun problem to chase. I won't be tapping anymore. Next is building a fuse panel and relays for all the fun circus lights.
bazross likes this.
post #40420 of 44878 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 10:33 AM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3384 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
That looks circa '99-'07. Can you confirm? Wait....I've got an '02, I guess I can go look at it.

R.I.P.- Echo

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

It Is Easier To Walk On Hot Coals Then It Is To Walk On Egg Shells...-CC

Member of the month-October 2017

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Tags
modifications , mods , today , updated

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in