What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY? - Page 4172 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

48049Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41711 of 44472 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Re: What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY?

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post
Yes! People are so surprised when they see it. Where do they keep theirs?! Next addition, quilted roll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yQNwI0tTDM
Here is the install video. Hope it helps you finish soon! Btw you may want to use thicker spacers behind the rack than I did (1/2") but no problems fitting the Velcro through the vents.

As for the extinguisher, it was an Amerex Purple K class B C that came with a latch mount so I drilled 1/8" thick x 1.5" wide bar (recommend 3/16" now that I added more accessories) and used longer ~60mm bolts for the grocery hooks. Not all extinguishers come with the latch mount so you might have to resort to a quick fist clamp.
Thanks James that was a really helpful video! Got the rack installed easily and I am looking into adding more racks on hinges so it can fold out into a small shelf similar to the Orangeboxx.

I also got the fire extinguisher installed up the wall from yours. I bought a Drake Offroad quick release mount and realized I could mount it in the same place you did with a proper length bolt. I really wanted to mount a large extinguisher but I was struggling to find places to put it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	storage rack.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	1045178   Click image for larger version

Name:	fire extinguisher.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1045180  
Lee44 and jamesepoop like this.

2007 Silver AT 4x4 / Bilstein 6112s/5160s / Eibach Front Springs / Shrockworks Skids / Shrockworks Sliders / Shrockworks Front Bumper / Tacoma 17" Rims / Midland 75-822 CB / 4' Firestik / Bandi Mount / Injen CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41712 of 44472 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 08:01 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Finally got my roof rack setup completed. Had previously bought an OEM rack from EJ'sFJ (edit, given just had to pay shipping). That was freshened up with some rustoleum bedliner. Also had purchased a BajaRack drop in basket from Joabmc. Thank you Guys!

Wanted to freshen up the deflector. I threw caution into the wind and used up my remaining Black Cherry Pearl from painting door handles, bumper valances, and lower portion of the mirrors. My wife has a vinyl cutting machine so had her make me a new BajaRack logo (passed on the BajaRack) and a FJ cruiser to personalize it.

Was torn on a color. Black wouldn't really show, white I wasnt feeling, so went silver. Had previously painted the Toyota a metallic silver after disliking my color matched letters. Think I will have her make inlays so the silvers matchup better.

Also, last week I finally installed my backup camera in the bumper and got my A-trac button installed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180705_202301_1530842464070.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	1045188   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180705_202408_1530842478155.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	460.2 KB
ID:	1045190  

Last edited by Duke Broadway; 07-05-2018 at 09:20 PM.
post #41713 of 44472 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 08:13 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)

Quote:
pierceg previously said: View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

Only took 3 months to fab and install the mount.
Should have bought the @bandi mount!
bandi likes this.

>>>>>>>>>>2010armygreens slow build<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>ArmyGreens M416 Build<<<<<<<<

Garage
2010 FJ Army Green
2014 FJ Iceberg
M416 Trailer
Maggiolina Grand Tour Roof Top Tent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41714 of 44472 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 08:40 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Garage

Bolted up my Ricochet skids in prep for Summit
What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY?-20180704_151308.jpgAttachment 1045196
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180704_151326.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	801.7 KB
ID:	1045200  
bazross, Thorn661, Lee44 and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Inglorious; 07-05-2018 at 08:45 PM.
post #41715 of 44472 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 09:40 PM
Forum Beer Miester

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Inglorious previously said: View Post
Bolted up my Ricochet skids in prep for Summit
Attachment 1045194Attachment 1045196
Canít wait dude, packing like a madman tomorrow in preparation for departure Saturday. Be in Moab by Tuesday or Wednesday depends on how many sites we stop and take in.
Winterpeg likes this.

post #41716 of 44472 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 09:43 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

Washed and oiled the K&N air filter... oh and installed the Diode Dynamics HID bulbs. Love the rectangular beam projection.
Lee44 likes this.

2014 TTUE 1of2500
Heritage Blue
CBI/Prinsu roof rack
Expedition One Kodiak front bumper and rear with tire carrier bumper
Baja Design lights front/back bumpers, & cowl
Adjustable King Coilover2.5", Adjustable King 2.5" rear shocks, Toytec Superflex HD springs
Rockmen UCA, trailing arms and panhard
RCI METALWORKS 1/4" aluminum Armor, FJ Toyman Off-road Shock Guards

post #41717 of 44472 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 11:38 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Garage

First, a shoutout to 4wheelparts for having my wheels shipped from Denver in less than 2 days from when I placed the order, picked them up during my lunch break today.
Second, a huge shoutout to @Discount Tire , they got me in last minute this afternoon, a week ahead of schedule, to re-mount my tires on the new wheels and remove the wheel spacers. The major body mount rubbing is now resolved!
I ended up using one of the spacers on my spare mount, but only after cutting a 1/2" off the tire rest. It took my last remaining dremel cutting disk, but it sure beats cutting it manually with a hacksaw, especially in the heat!

It might just be my eyes playing tricks, but I'm pretty sure upgrading to the ToyTec HD coils gave it more than an extra 1/2" lift in the back - at least when it's fully unloaded. It should sit dead level all loaded up for Ouray.

Really digging the new look, Summit can't come soon enough!
post #41718 of 44472 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 03:19 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
shrdnar previously said: View Post

It might just be my eyes playing tricks, but I'm pretty sure upgrading to the ToyTec HD coils gave it more than an extra 1/2" lift in the back - at least when it's fully unloaded. It should sit dead level all loaded up for Ouray.

Really digging the new look, Summit can't come soon enough!
Looks good where it's at so far. I always refer to frame/rock slider. If that sits fairly level, you're good. Once you aim at leveling fenders you'll have rear end rake IMO.

Today:
-I switched to Supertech/Wal-Mart full synthetic 10w-30. The Supertech oils are produced by Shell Oil company. Not sure how their formulation is but it meets the FJ standards.
-Swapped in a Wix 46888 engine air filter. But have a Toyota 17801-0P010 filter on order. Filters are NOT created equal. Hate to see what Wix oil filters look like if their air filter quality is that inferior. The pleats were thin and wouldn't seem to the task. No way I'd take that thru the trails
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180705_224527-01.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	455.9 KB
ID:	1045248   Click image for larger version

Name:	inCollage_20180706_021702721.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	1045252  
Lee44 likes this.

Last edited by jamesepoop; 07-06-2018 at 03:22 AM.
post #41719 of 44472 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 07:56 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Duke Broadway previously said: View Post
Finally got my roof rack setup completed. Had previously bought an OEM rack from EJ'sFJ (edit, given just had to pay shipping). That was freshened up with some rustoleum bedliner. Also had purchased a BajaRack drop in basket from Joabmc. Thank you Guys!

Wanted to freshen up the deflector. I threw caution into the wind and used up my remaining Black Cherry Pearl from painting door handles, bumper valances, and lower portion of the mirrors. My wife has a vinyl cutting machine so had her make me a new BajaRack logo (passed on the BajaRack) and a FJ cruiser to personalize it.

Was torn on a color. Black wouldn't really show, white I wasnt feeling, so went silver. Had previously painted the Toyota a metallic silver after disliking my color matched letters. Think I will have her make inlays so the silvers matchup better.

Also, last week I finally installed my backup camera in the bumper and got my A-trac button installed.

Looks awesome!! So glad to see the basket back in service again. Never would have had the vision to try that color combo, looks really good. Nice work!
Duke Broadway likes this.
post #41720 of 44472 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 08:34 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Garage

What I didnít do to my FJ today was replace the front brake pads..but I tried. Iíve never worked on the front brakes of my FJ and my pads are wearing thin so I decided to change them and rotate my tires.

I worked on the driverís side first and my project came to quick ending. The two inside pistons are seized and wonít budge when I try to spread them. The outer pistons work fine. Also the top retaining pin wonít budge. The bottom pin came out after some coaxing.
I bought the pads, spacers and spring clips about a month ago and was waiting for enough free time to swap them. So off to Rockauto I went and bought 2 front callipers at 1 am. I wasnít sure what brand to go with, and was too tired to research our forum to get an answer. I picked the red Power Stop callipers. I hope they were a good choice. I will likely replace the rears as well after doing the front because they are likely due for a replacement and I want them to match aesthetically.

Has anybody used Power Stop callipers? Are they a good choice? I hope so. Iím still learning how to wrench on my FJ but getting more confidence with every small job. I tend to make mistakes and discovered that I need to remount the upper mounts on my rear shocks( I make most of my mistakes when itís past my bedtime )because I mounted the alignment retainer wrong and will likely have to make the mount hole in the frame bigger( another member did this and thatís what clues me in to my mistake )for the alignment pin to seat properly. Live and learn.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk
ZerosFJ, Lee44 and jamesepoop like this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Tags
modifications , mods , today , updated

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in