What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY? - Page 4340 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

 48082Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #43391 of 44473 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:23 AM
Forum Superstar
 
jamesepoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 2,460
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Loganbeere previously said: View Post
[

How are you going to pump gas, my friend? Can't wait to see it in person.
Quote:
2010armygreen previously said: View Post
Gotta bring your own funnel.

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said:
LEDLIYFJL: Live Every Day Like Its Your FJ's Last
Mad Maxxine Build - 2007 Fresco Silver Metallic
My Travels: http://www.downtownfotos.com
jamesepoop is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #43392 of 44473 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:28 AM
Forum Veteran
 
fairbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Burlingame, CA
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Supporting Member
Re: What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY?

Installed a dual port USB charger/audio socket that connects to my Kenwood head unit, so then I could update the head unit software. I thought I could update the Garmin maps as well, but have not been able to find map updates beyond the 2012 maps that are already installed .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4164.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	582.3 KB
ID:	1073374   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4166.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	1073376  


2010 AT 4x4 Silver Fresco Metallic

Adventure Trailers:Alpine:ARB:Bandi:BAMufflers:Blue Sea Systems:Bluetorch Fabworks:BudBuilt:Bushwacker:Bussmann:Clarion: Clazzio:Cobra: DB Customz: DeMello: Department of the Interior: Dirty Parts: DreamConceptz:Ellis Precision:Expedition One:Firestik:Garvin Industries:Hayden Automotive:Hella:Hopkins:Husky:ICON:Kenwood:Kicker :Lifetime LED:Man-A-Fre:Metal Tech:Nitro:Nitto:PIAA:Polk Audio:ProComp:Raingler:RAM:Richochet:Rigid Industries:RCI Metalworks:ScanGauge:Springtail Solutions:Superwinch:Tekonsha:Trailworx:Tuffy:Unic hip:VDO:Vision X:WeatherTech ... it never ends.
fairbro is offline  
post #43393 of 44473 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:51 PM
Forum Veteran
 
shrdnar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: UT
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Garage
Re: What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY?

Quote:
debFJVT previously said: View Post
Those clamps look great! Would have done that if Iíd known about them years ago when I mounted my Rotopax. I did actually use the 2-crossmember technique you mentioned, and itís been working perfectly for a long time, and on rough trails. Just sandwiched them between two steel plates with the Rotopax mount bolted to the top plate. Hope you have a fabulous time in Moab and please let me know if the Lockhart Basin Trail is, in fact, so eroded that all vehicles will encounter damage (as one member recently stated). Iíd really like to make sure as I would like to see a run happen there this July (Moab B4 Summit - you coming?).
Yeah, 2 cross bars would be ideal, but my solution is just temporary until I have the funds for a rear bumper where the rotopax will end up living. I'm sure I'll find a use for the clamps for something else after that.

Moab / Lockhart was absolutely amazing. This was a pre-run for Cruise Moab with Wasatch Cruisers; it'll be the first time the event is running Lockhart and will be an overnighter. We lucked out with nice weather; hit or miss showers Fri, sunny and 60 on Sat, then only rained a little bit Sat night into Sun morning but cleared up before dawn. The scenery was phenomenal.

As for the main obstacle in the wash at the very beginning of Lockhart, yeah I wouldn't attempt to run it unless you're on 35s with at least 1 locker. It definitely doesn't look difficult at first glance, but the rocks are super loose with a big round boulder top and center to get hung up on. We had 8 in our group (3 100 series, 2 80 series, 1 GX470, 1 4Runner, 1 FJ), two of the 100 series broke front diffs on that obstacle, 4 out of the 8 had to winch up. The 4 that made it up with out assistance were all on 35s with lockers. Because of that, the official Cruise Moab run will do it in reverse, south to north. A lot easier to roll/slide down that obstacle than crawl up it!

I still plan on meeting up with everyone in Moab before summit. I'd love to run Lockhart, but I need to replace my Demello front bumper before I hit any other trails (the aluminum is cracking pretty bad around the frame mount points.) It's going to boil down to budget and timing if I can get a new front bumper for the FJ, or a rear bumper and sliders for the 80 in time. Either way, I should be able to run a couple of the more mellow trails.
debFJVT, Lee44 and Firemedic831 like this.
shrdnar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #43394 of 44473 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:51 PM
Forum Superstar
 
Iconic_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Middle of Kansas
Posts: 6,713
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2513 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY?

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post
"Black holes are the seductive dragons of the universe, outwardly quiescent yet violent at the heart, uncanny, hostile, primeval, emitting a negative radiance that draws all toward them, gobbling up all who come too close. " - Robert Coover
In for a penny, in for a pound.

Atta boy!
jamesepoop likes this.
Iconic_ is online now  
post #43395 of 44473 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:29 PM
MOAB SUPERSTAR
 
debFJVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The Green Mountains
Posts: 5,213
Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2085 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY?

@shrdnar thanks for the info - I ran it south to north in 2016 and the only major obstacle I remember going down was about midway...donít recall anything very difficult close to the north end. Hereís a pic - if this is the obstacle, and a lot more dirt were removed from between the boulders, I can see how it would require winching to get up. Curious where people plan to camp? Sounds wonderful and hope you can come do it with us in July! Good luck with your bumpers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29915D0D-E2EE-4A2A-92EE-BE14BBDFAE35.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	792.3 KB
ID:	1073452  
HERSOG, AMMO461 and FJFool like this.



Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
debFJVT is offline  
post #43396 of 44473 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:51 PM
Forum Superstar
 
Sanderhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: So Cal Mtns
Posts: 3,729
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Garage
Re: What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY?

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post
See I knew there would be a flux capacitor going in either yours or Debs FJ

Steve.... 07 FJ with almost enough mods.... August 2017 Member of the month
Sanderhawk is online now  
post #43397 of 44473 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:59 PM
Forum Master
 
Firemedic831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,298
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY?

Quote:
shrdnar previously said: View Post
Yeah, 2 cross bars would be ideal, but my solution is just temporary until I have the funds for a rear bumper where the rotopax will end up living. I'm sure I'll find a use for the clamps for something else after that.

Moab / Lockhart was absolutely amazing. This was a pre-run for Cruise Moab with Wasatch Cruisers; it'll be the first time the event is running Lockhart and will be an overnighter. We lucked out with nice weather; hit or miss showers Fri, sunny and 60 on Sat, then only rained a little bit Sat night into Sun morning but cleared up before dawn. The scenery was phenomenal.

As for the main obstacle in the wash at the very beginning of Lockhart, yeah I wouldn't attempt to run it unless you're on 35s with at least 1 locker. It definitely doesn't look difficult at first glance, but the rocks are super loose with a big round boulder top and center to get hung up on. We had 8 in our group (3 100 series, 2 80 series, 1 GX470, 1 4Runner, 1 FJ), two of the 100 series broke front diffs on that obstacle, 4 out of the 8 had to winch up. The 4 that made it up with out assistance were all on 35s with lockers. Because of that, the official Cruise Moab run will do it in reverse, south to north. A lot easier to roll/slide down that obstacle than crawl up it!

I still plan on meeting up with everyone in Moab before summit. I'd love to run Lockhart, but I need to replace my Demello front bumper before I hit any other trails (the aluminum is cracking pretty bad around the frame mount points.) It's going to boil down to budget and timing if I can get a new front bumper for the FJ, or a rear bumper and sliders for the 80 in time. Either way, I should be able to run a couple of the more mellow trails.
What Bumper are you looking to get ?

09 AT Toytec Boss performance 3inch lift, Demello sliders , TRD brakes , MT offset Lower links . Rad Rubber splash guards ,Cobra CB,
Firemedic831 is offline  
post #43398 of 44473 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:30 AM
Forum Veteran
 
shrdnar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: UT
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Garage
Re: What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY?

Quote:
debFJVT previously said: View Post
@shrdnar thanks for the info - I ran it south to north in 2016 and the only major obstacle I remember going down was about midway...donít recall anything very difficult close to the north end. Hereís a pic - if this is the obstacle, and a lot more dirt were removed from between the boulders, I can see how it would require winching to get up. Curious where people plan to camp? Sounds wonderful and hope you can come do it with us in July! Good luck with your bumpers
That's the spot all right. Now imagine what it might look like after a few years of side-by-side/ATV/UTV/4x4 abuse and a winter of nearly record-breaking rainfall. Bigger boulders, much less dirt. I'll post some photos later today. Biggest issue most had was clearance, especially for the longer wheelbase 100 series. This was the only spot that gave anyone trouble all weekend, and I have to say, it was really quite impressive to watch two trucks finish the rest of the trail in RWD only.

The Cruise Moab group will be camping in an open wash down near the end of Lockhart canyon close to the Colorado River, same spot we spent our second night. The fun part of joining a pre-run is getting to see all the spurs and nooks and crannies that the official run probably won't get to see. Lockhart by the book is around 70 miles on dirt, I think we covered closer to or over 100 miles.

Thanks Deb! I'm definitely hoping everything pans out by then!
shrdnar is offline  
post #43399 of 44473 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:41 AM
Forum Veteran
 
shrdnar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: UT
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Garage
Re: What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY?

Quote:
Firemedic831 previously said: View Post
What Bumper are you looking to get ?
I thought about trying to find a specialty welder that can just reinforce my current one, but the type of wheeling I'm doing with the FJ these days, replacing it with a steel bumper is a safer bet. I've been eyeing the expedition one diamond trail series. Plus it's nice to support local companies.
FJFool and Firemedic831 like this.
shrdnar is offline  
post #43400 of 44473 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:42 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR
 
debFJVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The Green Mountains
Posts: 5,213
Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2085 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY?

Quote:
shrdnar previously said: View Post
That's the spot all right. Now imagine what it might look like after a few years of side-by-side/ATV/UTV/4x4 abuse and a winter of nearly record-breaking rainfall. Bigger boulders, much less dirt. I'll post some photos later today. Biggest issue most had was clearance, especially for the longer wheelbase 100 series. This was the only spot that gave anyone trouble all weekend, and I have to say, it was really quite impressive to watch two trucks finish the rest of the trail in RWD only.

The Cruise Moab group will be camping in an open wash down near the end of Lockhart canyon close to the Colorado River, same spot we spent our second night. The fun part of joining a pre-run is getting to see all the spurs and nooks and crannies that the official run probably won't get to see. Lockhart by the book is around 70 miles on dirt, I think we covered closer to or over 100 miles.

Thanks Deb! I'm definitely hoping everything pans out by then!
Yup I get it - have seen that same progressive erosion on many trails every year since my first time on them in 2015. Think itís happening faster now...more side-by-sides out there. Itís easy to imagine that particular wash being a real pain, but also gets me interested in crawling UP IT just for fun...gotta check out my new front flux capacitor So glad youíll be joining us!!



Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
debFJVT is offline  
Reply

  Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Tags
modifications , mods , today , updated

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (0 members and 7 guests)
 
User Tag List
WarriorProducts

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome