What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY? - Page 4410 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

50040Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #44091 of 45086 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:32 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Re: What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY?

Installed the front skid plate. I had it down while changing front shocks and serpentine belt. While it was off I treated some minor rust here and there and painted.

I used Back to Black a while back and it worked well. I switched to that Protectant 303 or something like that for the better UV protection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44092 of 45086 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:34 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)

Moved my winch solenoid control box hanging off the top of the rad support. Now I can access the connection port much easier and the controller can reach inside the cabin so that I can steer the rig while Iím winching in case Iím alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #44093 of 45086 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:28 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
srhamlin previously said: View Post
There's also the larger all-aluminum CSF radiator, (which I run in mine now).
Quote:
amaclach previously said: View Post
There is also the option of the big radiator used in the GCC (and I assume Australian/African) FJs.
There's part numbers and pics on here somewhere in a thread about electric fans by a member in Saudi.
There's also an option from Ron Davis Radiators. You can get it for an auto or manual transmission, and there's the option of adding dual spal fans. Like it was mentioned earlier in the thread, if you want to run cooler, you'll need a cooler thermostat. You should get the Motor Rad thermostat from Amazon and the URD thermostat spacer (I have the URD 160 degree thermostat, but it only maintains 190's). You'll have to modify the thermostat housing to accommodate as well. But you can get operating temperatures in the 170's, although keep in mind that aftermarket thermostats are rated for what temperature they START to open. Not the actual operating temperature. If you need additional cooling capacity, the RD radiator is the premium option......Not cheap though, I'll warn you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4758.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1080996   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4763.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1080998   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5683.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1081000  
bazross, ZerosFJ, amaclach and 9 others like this.

2007 Black Diamond 4x4 Upgrade Package #2

Last edited by DocME; 05-29-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44094 of 45086 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:40 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Garage

@DocME is that your rad setup or from RD? If it's yours, how do you like the switch from clutch to electric? While I had considered this, one of my friends in the race industry had always recommended to keep it simple and the clutch fan was more than efficient. Did you change to a distill/glycol fill as well? Wondering how well it works on our vehicles since I'm still on antifreeze (even though we don't get freezing temps here, some evenings are cold enough)
isancho likes this.
post #44095 of 45086 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:53 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post
@DocME is that your rad setup or from RD? If it's yours, how do you like the switch from clutch to electric? While I had considered this, one of my friends in the race industry had always recommended to keep it simple and the clutch fan was more than efficient. Did you change to a distill/glycol fill as well? Wondering how well it works on our vehicles since I'm still on antifreeze (even though we don't get freezing temps here, some evenings are cold enough)

Also interested in this info @DocME . Any experience with the E fans in mud? Iíve had a buddyís spal go out after mud was caked on for a bit.

jamesepoop likes this.
post #44096 of 45086 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Working on custom front grill , temp mock up in place , stil be using the black mesh grillcraft to match lower and retrofitting to aftermarket rover style grill , just weather or not to use TOYOTA , raptor style lettering or Big "T "EMBLEM that's on mock up , I've been collecting badges, emblems ,etc with intentions of creating when inspired . As we all know it's always more.
Also leaning towards anodized orange Accents already found burgundy with orange seat covers that will tie it all together
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190529_201422_1559178296891.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	581.7 KB
ID:	1081014  
rotorhed1, Bad Wolf, Lee44 and 1 others like this.
post #44097 of 45086 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:31 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post
Quote:
isancho previously said: View Post
Also interested in this info @DocME . Any experience with the E fans in mud? Iíve had a buddyís spal go out after mud was caked on for a bit.

Yep, that's mine. I really like the electric fans over the clutch fan. No doubt there's a lot of reliability in the clutch fan, but desert racers and rock crawlers use spal fans all the time. There's reasons for it. You'll get superior air movement no matter what rpm your engine is turning. Like cold a/c in 110 degrees, right when you start your truck? electric fans make it happen. I have two fans, so there's some comfort in redundancy. Not concerned in the least bit about reliability of this setup. I also installed a pulse width modulator, so the fans only run as hard as needed. This means they are almost silent during most operations. I LOVE not having to hear the truck sound like a prop plane at startup. I also have a timing relay from the a/c clutch that triggers an a/c circuit on the controller. This allows the fans to kick up to a predetermined speed when I turn the a/c on no matter the engine temperature. The timer relay also keeps the fans running with the a/c even if the compressor clutch cycles off. Two more cool features are the timer relay that keeps the fans running for thirty seconds after you shut the truck off, and the ability to add a fail safe switch that turn the fans on full bore if you had a failure of the controller.....This one allows you to wire an interrupt switch in the ignition 12V trigger, that means you can also wire a switch to turn them OFF if you're going into a mud crossing. I will admit that I did also swap out the stock Spal fan connectors for my preferred Metri-pack connectors that are more water tight.

The only real issue that I'm having is that the spal fans don't like the frequency of the PWM that my controller sends them. They actually throw some pretty serious vibrations that I can feel in the floor boards at some fan RPM's. I hate this part of it. I've done everything on my end that I can to deaden the vibrations and have played around with the temperature settings to reduce the feel of them. I'm awaiting a "high frequency" PWM from my contact that should help to cope with this issue. My other option is to change out the fans, but I don't want to leave the spal line up.....

2007 Black Diamond 4x4 Upgrade Package #2
post #44098 of 45086 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:32 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)

^^^^ Nice work.
post #44099 of 45086 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:54 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
DocME previously said: View Post
Yep, that's mine. I really like the electric fans over the clutch fan. No doubt there's a lot of reliability in the clutch fan, but desert racers and rock crawlers use spal fans all the time. There's reasons for it. You'll get superior air movement no matter what rpm your engine is turning. Like cold a/c in 110 degrees, right when you start your truck? electric fans make it happen. I have two fans, so there's some comfort in redundancy. Not concerned in the least bit about reliability of this setup. I also installed a pulse width modulator, so the fans only run as hard as needed. This means they are almost silent during most operations. I LOVE not having to hear the truck sound like a prop plane at startup. I also have a timing relay from the a/c clutch that triggers an a/c circuit on the controller. This allows the fans to kick up to a predetermined speed when I turn the a/c on no matter the engine temperature. The timer relay also keeps the fans running with the a/c even if the compressor clutch cycles off. Two more cool features are the timer relay that keeps the fans running for thirty seconds after you shut the truck off, and the ability to add a fail safe switch that turn the fans on full bore if you had a failure of the controller.....This one allows you to wire an interrupt switch in the ignition 12V trigger, that means you can also wire a switch to turn them OFF if you're going into a mud crossing. I will admit that I did also swap out the stock Spal fan connectors for my preferred Metri-pack connectors that are more water tight.

The only real issue that I'm having is that the spal fans don't like the frequency of the PWM that my controller sends them. They actually throw some pretty serious vibrations that I can feel in the floor boards at some fan RPM's. I hate this part of it. I've done everything on my end that I can to deaden the vibrations and have played around with the temperature settings to reduce the feel of them. I'm awaiting a "high frequency" PWM from my contact that should help to cope with this issue. My other option is to change out the fans, but I don't want to leave the spal line up.....

Definitely appreciate you taking the time to explain! All that wiring sounds too complicated for my skill level when it comes to electrical work though . If for any reason my radiator goes out, I might dip my toes back into this pool. Do you have a write up for the install?

jamesepoop likes this.
post #44100 of 45086 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:42 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
DocME previously said: View Post
Yep, that's mine.
This is really neat! I've been wanting to clean up the engine bay. I used a dual Fan controller before but along the lines that it only turned on 100% based on the desired temp, so I would have one wired to come on at 170 and one at 190+. Usually if I'm not in a rush, there's no issues with spikes but if I was running hot and stalled, the fans would be on while trying to crank. I like what you're telling me though. I just realized several other companies have a PWM similar to what you were mentioning. Are you using a particular brand that you can recommend? It's been a long time since I've looked up e-fan technology and a lot has changed in controllers.

This will definitely be added to the list..
@isancho if and when you do, several companies make the controller. You would install the fans and tap radiator hose for coolant/engine temp. Then wire the control box for fans and one for A/C relay(? I haven't done this but assuming from DocME's post). I think it's more difficult than it sounds.. but getting a proper shrouded fan to the radiator like Doc's setup is the most important in how it'll pull the air.
isancho likes this.

Last edited by jamesepoop; 05-29-2019 at 08:51 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Tags
modifications , mods , today , updated

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in