What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY? - Page 4411 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

50112Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #44101 of 45105 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:00 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1828 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY?

Quote:
DocME previously said: View Post
There's also an option from Ron Davis Radiators. You can get it for an auto or manual transmission, and there's the option of adding dual spal fans. Like it was mentioned earlier in the thread, if you want to run cooler, you'll need a cooler thermostat. You should get the Motor Rad thermostat from Amazon and the URD thermostat spacer (I have the URD 160 degree thermostat, but it only maintains 190's). You'll have to modify the thermostat housing to accommodate as well. But you can get operating temperatures in the 170's, although keep in mind that aftermarket thermostats are rated for what temperature they START to open. Not the actual operating temperature. If you need additional cooling capacity, the RD radiator is the premium option......Not cheap though, I'll warn you in advance.
G'Day Doc,
That is a sweet set up ...very sexy...well done.

A few years back I spoke to Dirty Deeds about an dual E fan set up, but on their advise didn't pursue it.
But I did end up doing a simple setup - putting a push fan in front of the Rad, that I manually control / cabin switch. Only need it when slow crawling to force more air thru.
No where near as uber cool or effective as a dual E fan set up like yours, still it works, coupled with hood louvers, helps move air past the engine.

cheers
Baz
fairbro, amaclach, debFJVT and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44102 of 45105 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:10 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post
This is really neat! I've been wanting to clean up the engine bay. I used a dual Fan controller before but along the lines that it only turned on 100% based on the desired temp, so I would have one wired to come on at 170 and one at 190+. Usually if I'm not in a rush, there's no issues with spikes but if I was running hot and stalled, the fans would be on while trying to crank. I like what you're telling me though. I just realized several other companies have a PWM similar to what you were mentioning. Are you using a particular brand that you can recommend? It's been a long time since I've looked up e-fan technology and a lot has changed in controllers.

This will definitely be added to the list..
@isancho if and when you do, several companies make the controller. You would install the fans and tap radiator hose for coolant/engine temp. Then wire the control box for fans and one for A/C relay(? I haven't done this but assuming from DocME's post). I think it's more difficult than it sounds.. but getting a proper shrouded fan to the radiator like Doc's setup is the most important in how it'll pull the air.

I really like the idea and should free up a little noticeable power once the clutch fan is off. Iíll start reading up on this (again) just to see how technology has changed over the years. Really diggin Docís setup and maybe the metra connectors will be enough to ease my worries. Thanks to the both of you for the replies. Iíll look into it after I address my rear bumper needs (reallyó rear bumper wants)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
debFJVT and Thorn661 like this.
post #44103 of 45105 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:54 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
isancho previously said: View Post
Definitely appreciate you taking the time to explain! All that wiring sounds too complicated for my skill level when it comes to electrical work though . If for any reason my radiator goes out, I might dip my toes back into this pool. Do you have a write up for the install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sancho, I didn't document a ton of the install because it was part of a much larger under taking. I replaced the engine (longer story), added the UCON, 7th injector, larger injectors, headers, supercharger pulley upgrades, s/c idler pulley replacements, cam gears, intercooler reservoir upgrade, and upgraded charging system and wiring upgrade....all at the same time. I was ready to just have the FJ back on the road... I do have a few pictures and rudimentary wiring diagram that I can post up. That should be enough to give a really clear picture of the scope of work. For the wiring portion of the project... I was inspired by Bodenzord's blog on his wiring projects. Really got educated and I must say, while a bit complex, this makes complicated projects soooooo easy to pull together. I simply laid out a schematic, determined which wires were in the same run, trimmed them to length, terminated one end, and secured with techflex until the other end was ready for termination.

Here's a couple of links to his work....its really amazing: DIY Bussmann RTMR Fuse Block, Part 1 ? Introduction | Bodenzord
2015 Toyota Tacoma Build ? Big-3 Upgrade | Bodenzord

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post
This is really neat! I've been wanting to clean up the engine bay. I used a dual Fan controller before but along the lines that it only turned on 100% based on the desired temp, so I would have one wired to come on at 170 and one at 190+. Usually if I'm not in a rush, there's no issues with spikes but if I was running hot and stalled, the fans would be on while trying to crank. I like what you're telling me though. I just realized several other companies have a PWM similar to what you were mentioning. Are you using a particular brand that you can recommend? It's been a long time since I've looked up e-fan technology and a lot has changed in controllers.

This will definitely be added to the list..
@isancho if and when you do, several companies make the controller. You would install the fans and tap radiator hose for coolant/engine temp. Then wire the control box for fans and one for A/C relay(? I haven't done this but assuming from DocME's post). I think it's more difficult than it sounds.. but getting a proper shrouded fan to the radiator like Doc's setup is the most important in how it'll pull the air.
For the PWM controllers, my favorite is Autocoolguy. https://www.autocoolguy.com/ That's what I went with. I have a no buzz 100, but honestly I would have been good with the 50 as my fans only pull 20 amps at full tilt and the pwm is essentially a soft start that does limit the end rush current on startup. I would NOT buy one of the Derale or Spal PWM controllers at this point in time. Some thought that should be looked into is some fans that spal introduced recently. They released a BRUSHLESS PWM fan that has the controller integrated into the fan. The install is super easy and straight forward provided that you have a shroud. The fans are hard to find, as I believe that they are intended for OEMs in the recreational industry. https://www.spalautomotive.it/brushless

Also, one guy on the TW forum adapted an FJ shroud to a mark 4 electric fan and used an Autocool guy controller. Looked like it fit up pretty well.

Quote:
bazross previously said: View Post
G'Day Doc,
That is a sweet set up ...very sexy...well done.

A few years back I spoke to Dirty Deeds about an dual E fan set up, but on their advise didn't pursue it.
But I did end up doing a simple setup - putting a push fan in front of the Rad, that I manually control / cabin switch. Only need it when slow crawling to force more air thru.
No where near as uber cool or effective as a dual E fan set up like yours, still it works, coupled with hood louvers, helps move air past the engine.

cheers
Baz
Thanks Baz. There's a lot of different ways to get up the mountain, that's for sure. I think the auxiliary fan is good fix for the short comings of the clutch fan and manual control is pretty convenient. For the supercharged guys, the space in front of the radiator and condenser is really cluttered with the auxiliary low temperature radiator for the intercooler system and a pusher fan is going to be hard to fit in there. Actually that was another pro to the electric radiator fans, they actually pull more air through the radiator AND the intercooler, which is great for those hot days and heat soak.
bazross, amaclach, debFJVT and 2 others like this.

2007 Black Diamond 4x4 Upgrade Package #2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44104 of 45105 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:40 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey

I think I maybe going to far, 1 done and 2 more to go. Power steering is next.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190530_064520.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	1081052   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190530_064546.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	1081054  
Bad Wolf, FJFool, Iconic_ and 2 others like this.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #44105 of 45105 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:52 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Garage
Thumbs up Re: What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY?

Quote:
mikey previously said: View Post
I think I maybe going to far, 1 done and 2 more to go. Power steering is next.
I agree

But now I'm clearing space on my calendar for Saturday
post #44106 of 45105 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Been too busy having fun with Pablo, the FJ, as my buddies call it. Name came from after the air dam install... said to look like a mustache. Anyway:

1. Finally got around to installing the diff drop kit, I think the CV angle is much improved.
2. Mounted Maxsa recovery tracks with some custom fab'ed mounts.
3. Mounted the RhinoRack Batwing Awning, then re-did the mounting set up... then re-did it again.
4. Finished the tool boxes, just need paint. Made them with very tight tolerances to I didn't use rails.
5. Sourced out hardware (flanged class 10.9 bolts and extra large grade 8 washers) and installed use OEM sliders.
6. Replaced passenger front ABS cable and cleared code... (lift install complication, oops! ).
6. Figured out how to post pictures not upside down, I think.

Next up is UCAs. Took a 1500 mile road trip and was a tad bit squirrelly on the highway... I'm blaming the little bit of caster alignment issues post-lift and not the insane amount of wind. At least that's my excuse for buying more things!

What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY?-jviqxisvq1ajjqydyhvu-g.jpg
What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY?-akgctjs7rf6oolgf-yjzvq.jpg
What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY?-ftdzx4xrsu-btpbbf3utpw.jpg
What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY?-rdsa5s9tq2cluymcd-0ww.jpg
What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY?-70cku-o1tzcsqi64tzbllw.jpg
What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY?-0jdp-j1pqpsedtdyd8ssbq.jpg
What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY?-448wmbkvqhgqartsrc0mxa.jpg
DocME, Zed 71, CRFjockey and 10 others like this.

| Warrior Products platform rack | Bigfoot rooftop tent | OME 885/898 coils | OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks | ProComp front UCAs | CaliFab rear LCAs | Cooper S/T MAXX 285/70/17 | Rhino-Rack Batwing awning | Smittybilt M1 rear bumper | Expedition One WyoOtto front bumper | SmittyBilt X2O 10K Synthetic rope winch | Odyssey 34R PC1500 Battery | ARB CKMA12 on-board air |
post #44107 of 45105 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:14 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Garage

@cmg1012 very nice set up!
cmg1012 likes this.

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html
post #44108 of 45105 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:20 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
cmg1012 previously said: View Post
2. Mounted Maxsa recovery tracks with some custom fab'ed mounts.
That's a Warrior Products Platform rack, yeah? It won't be long before I'll be wanting to mount some traction boards to mine. It's good to see a simple u-bolt+bracket+long-bolt set-up will get the job done.

óMIKE

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has caused all the damage to my FJ.
~ Robert Frost

42" Light Bar | Warrior Products Roof Rack | N-Fab RSP Bumper | ARB Skids | 4.0L V6 AT | ToyTec BOSS 2.0 Coilovers | Sway Bar Relocate | Toytec Superflex Heavy Duty Rear Coils | Toytec BOSS Rear Shocks | SPC Adjustable UCAs | Toytec Rear Aluminum 2" Bump Stop Kit | 265/70R/17 Toyo ATs x5 | 2" Wheel Spacers | Rad Rubber Designs Engine Splash Guards | Hi-Lift Extreme Jack
post #44109 of 45105 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Quote:
FJFool previously said: View Post
That's a Warrior Products Platform rack, yeah? It won't be long before I'll be wanting to mount some traction boards to mine. It's good to see a simple u-bolt+bracket+long-bolt set-up will get the job done.
Yes, love the WP rack! Depending on which boards you get (how well they stack and final thickness) you can use a long bolt. Longest I found was 5" but this was not long enough for me... (insert joke here). The Maxsa boards don't stack up as well as something like the Maxtrax.

I ended up buying 3' of 5/16" threaded rod and cut each piece to size. Ended up with 7 1/4" per "bolt".
The U-Bolts are 5/16" x 1 3/8" x 2 1/4".
The steel bracket is cut from 1/8" x 1 1/2" weld steel.
The knob nuts are from Lowe's, obviously in 5/16".

Eventually I will take down the bolts and drill them out for cotter pins as the knobs don't really "tighten down" on the tracks, they snug up to them but the more you twist them on the more the boards flex down (as they should). I didn't lose the knobs on the road after 1500 miles but I think for safety I'll add pins later on or think of a way to secure the knobs.
CRFjockey, FJFool and Lee44 like this.

| Warrior Products platform rack | Bigfoot rooftop tent | OME 885/898 coils | OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks | ProComp front UCAs | CaliFab rear LCAs | Cooper S/T MAXX 285/70/17 | Rhino-Rack Batwing awning | Smittybilt M1 rear bumper | Expedition One WyoOtto front bumper | SmittyBilt X2O 10K Synthetic rope winch | Odyssey 34R PC1500 Battery | ARB CKMA12 on-board air |

Last edited by cmg1012; 05-30-2019 at 12:01 PM.
post #44110 of 45105 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 12:41 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
cmg1012 previously said: View Post
Eventually I will take down the bolts and drill them out for cotter pins as the knobs don't really "tighten down" on the tracks, they snug up to them but the more you twist them on the more the boards flex down (as they should). I didn't lose the knobs on the road after 1500 miles but I think for safety I'll add pins later on or think of a way to secure the knobs.
I've constructed mounts for my hi-lift, axe, and shovel using odds and ends from Lowe's, but I'm also concerned about the wingnuts backing off by themselves with a little help from road vibration. The hi-lift is mounted with 5/16 bolts, so I could drill out holes for cotter pins on those. But the axe and shovel are mounted on 1/4 bolts. I'm not sure I could drill holes in those without a press. I've been thinking about using rubber grommets/gaskets (or something similar) after the wingnuts.
Lee44 likes this.

óMIKE

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has caused all the damage to my FJ.
~ Robert Frost

42" Light Bar | Warrior Products Roof Rack | N-Fab RSP Bumper | ARB Skids | 4.0L V6 AT | ToyTec BOSS 2.0 Coilovers | Sway Bar Relocate | Toytec Superflex Heavy Duty Rear Coils | Toytec BOSS Rear Shocks | SPC Adjustable UCAs | Toytec Rear Aluminum 2" Bump Stop Kit | 265/70R/17 Toyo ATs x5 | 2" Wheel Spacers | Rad Rubber Designs Engine Splash Guards | Hi-Lift Extreme Jack

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Tags
modifications , mods , today , updated

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in