For the past few days the drawers and tool kit have been sliding about in the back. Yesterday I was supposed to do something about that but I had a case of the sleepies after work. So why not do today what I was supposed to have done yesterday?
First I pulled the box out of the way and unbolted the tie downs. Then I looked in the box of misfit bolts and found nothing that would be a direct replacement. The original bolts are a bit too short.
Wow, sorry. That’s a bad pic! Wuf.
I found two bolts and some nut-serts that would do nicely.
That meant I got to ream out the threaded holes so the new threads would fit. My advice: use a sharp bit.
With the holes the right size the inserts will fit very snug. That’s what you want - a snug fit.
Datsa sharp bit!
Then load up the nut setting tool and set away! My complaint about this tool is that it doesn’t make a satisfying clunk and ping like a pop riveter.
The nut is set.
I might go back sometime and countersink the heads. There are other things that are more glaring about this box than the heads being proud....
Wait! I was wrong. The FIRST thing I did was draw on a nut and place it on the top of the bolts for the original tie downs. That transferred the ink onto the box so I would know where to drill for the mounting hardware. Well, technically the first thing I did was open a Dallas Blonde ale.
Now it’s all fairly secure back there. I’m running down some Velcro sheets big enough to cover the top. Plus, I remembered to take out the factory jack stuff before I bolted the drawers down. Now the gf is muttering something about making her one for her Chrysler Heep.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk