Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

What did you do TO your FJ Cruiser TODAY?

9M views 52K replies 3K participants last post by  FatJohnson 
#1 · (Edited)
This may sound weird but we are always doing something like 4x4, washing , a good coat of wax picture, a new sticker, wheels, lift, super charger or just an oil change the point is what you did today to or with the FJ cruiser.
This is my favorite thread on the jeep forum and probably the most popular in their entire forum with over two million posts, So why not here? I'll start it off and its up to all of us to keep it going. :cheers:

1. Today I added a headliner supercharger sticker to my windshield after giving her a bath.

See less See more
#37,761 ·
My dogs just trained their people to lift them into vehicles. The corgi has figured out window switches though.
On the flip side, after 4.5 years my dog still stuffs his face into the rear submarine portal window expecting it to do down...as if I've just forgotten to roll his window down all these years. :jester:

#37,763 ·
Dont you think he's earned his freedom (windows) by now?? :thinkerg:
I'm not interested in taking those off and putting them back on every time I go somewhere with the dog. I'll just let him drive.

Attachments

#37,765 ·
Lower arm or the UCA I guess. Maybe the sway bar as well.
My coil over was my droop limiter, which survived until I removed my sway bar, great for independent left and right suspension, tough on coil over. The swaybar distributed some of the velocity to both sides, once gone each coil over was solo and a top hat broke soon after. I now have fitted limit straps reducing the travel from 10.5" to 10", my hats don't take the hits on either end and my CV angles are kinder. Wheelers bumpstops with spacers on compression, straps on extension.

Bind could be many things you would rather not load; balljoint, UCA uni ball, shock, CVs... Or run it and see if something breaks, like many have.

Limit straps are a conventional and adjustable way to stop an LCA's down travel. Waiting for CabinCruiser and specifics with what is limiting his down travel on the "dialed in" set up, if it's better I will ditch my straps. :smile

#37,766 ·
My coil over was my droop limiter, which survived until I removed my sway bar, great for independent left and right suspension, tough on coil over. The swaybar distributed some of the velocity to both sides, once gone each coil over was solo and a top hat broke soon after. I now have fitted limit straps reducing the travel from 10.5" to 10", my hats don't take the hits on either end and my CV angles are kinder. Wheelers bumpstops with spacers on compression, straps on extension.

Bind could be many things you would rather not load; balljoint, UCA uni ball, shock, CVs... Or run it and see if something breaks, like many have.

Limit straps are a conventional and adjustable way to stop an LCA's down travel. Waiting for CabinCruiser and specifics with what is limiting his down travel on the "dialed in" set up, if it's better I will ditch my straps. :smile

You did it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#37,767 ·

I've been wheeling with disconnects on the front swaybar and now with the additional weight of 35" tires - I see no way around limit straps! Still need to measure regarding bump stops. This has been a good discussion, perfectly timed for learning about this important mod :smile

#37,772 ·
Who do you think you are, @debFJVT? Ditch that red and get a blue strap. duh...
The only problem I foresaw with a blue strap was that I would never want to take it off! It must be fixed eventually...

:blueblob:

#37,773 · (Edited)
Had an ome 2.5 heavy lift put on front and rear, but seems to me like it maxed out my suspension. I looked at it yesterday at the local toyota dealership, and now they say it needs a diff drop. To me it's wrong. Had the lift sent straight to the dealership, and told them to put it on when I was out of town. Doesn't seem right for a 2.5 inch lift to do this. Any ideas on why this happened or is it right? I'm kind of sideways about this. Haven't driven it yet, but looks totally wrong to me.

My avatar is the original height before the lift.
Am I just panicking for no reason?

Attachments

#37,774 ·
Had an ome 2.5 heavy lift put on front and rear, but seems to me like it maxed out my suspension. I looked at it yesterday at the local toyota dealership, and now they say it needs a diff drop. To me it's wrong. Had the lift sent straight to the dealership, and told them to put it on when I was out of town. Doesn't seem right for a 2.5 inch lift to do this. Any ideas on why this happened or is it right? I'm kind of sideways about this. Haven't driven it yet, but looks totally wrong to me.

What do you think look off? If you have stock sized tires it will look like you skipped leg day. Mine looked funny until I got taller tires.

#37,775 ·
What do you think look off? If you have stock sized tires it will look like you skipped leg day. Mine looked funny until I got taller tires.
We'll, supposed to only be a 2.5 inch lift, but now seems to max it out. Didn't want it huge as the wife (bad knee) and I are mild offroaders. I do have 285/70/17s on there, but in my opinion they looked great before this lift. They do look off now.

#37,776 ·

Could be they took it directly off the lift and drove it to the parking lot and the suspension never settled. I'd drive it a bit before making any decisions.

I take it you didn't measure the height before? I'm sure you could cross reference some stock height numbers on here.

#37,777 · (Edited)
Could be they took it directly off the lift and drove it to the parking lot and the suspension never settled. I'd drive it a bit before making any decisions.

I take it you didn't measure the height before? I'm sure you could cross reference some stock height numbers on here.
No I didn't measure the height prior. I was out off town when it was delivered then installed. Almost seems like an expedition lift, but yea I haven't driven it yet. The cv axles are really cranked as for my reasoning that the lift maxes out my suspension. They're putting a diff drop kit on as we speak.

#37,778 ·

Did you take any before measurements? And do you have a front bumper and carry lots of weight? The heavies are designed for a bumper at the least and an extra 300lbs in the back. If you do not have that kind of weight, it may sit a littler higher. It will also settle in after a few hundred miles. Not much but it will droop some.
Not much they could mess up IMO, just remove existing suspension and bolt up new.

#37,779 ·
I think you went overkill on the lift. Heavies are too heavy duty. That said, I don't think its necessarily too high, but youll know the second you drive it if you don't have enough weight. You need a full bumper/winch/steel line (maybe), and a rear with swingout or crap in the back to take advantage of a full-heavy lift.

It could settle a bit too like was mentioned

I think it looks good.

#37,780 ·
I think you went overkill on the lift. Heavies are too heavy duty. That said, I don't think its necessarily too high, but youll know the second you drive it if you don't have enough weight. You need a full bumper/winch/steel line (maybe), and a rear with swingout or crap in the back to take advantage of a full-heavy lift.

It could settle a bit too like was mentioned

I think it looks good.
You are most likely right. I do have a steel bumper front and rear with winch up front. I took a recommendation from Ome and got bit in the ass it seems. I'll drive it a but to see how it goes, but as it sits it seems that bigger tires are in order at some point.