What did you do WITH your FJ today, Take 2... - Page 143 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

8279Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1421 of 3545 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 11:46 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2123 Post(s)
Garage
Re: What did you do WITH your FJ today, Take 2...

Quote:
Sp3cialk previously said: View Post

Did an over-nighter with some local cruisers. Jon is a great guide. Took us on a 200 mile off-road expedition. Fun time.

Oh, look a new rubicruiser! And a land tundra cruiser!
What a cool group.

Lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2010 Iceberg AT
Custom Tube Bumper
315/75r16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1422 of 3545 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:03 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)

Quote:
bazross previously said: View Post
G'day,
its deceptive isn't it..... slippery too ..... and soft....
FJ wins tho' !!!!
so how did you get out ?
you haven't said ... haha
Built tuff our FJs ....

cheers
Baz

going to be kinda long winded but here ya go

soft and slippery were my enemies to be sure! I was running the high tops of the ridges and it side slipped down into the rut/ditch

so, the escape...

the setup: front and rear passenger side tires stuck in the rut/ditch

after a bunch of attempts of backing up into the reeds (00:20 in the video) to get some running distance/speed, I would get moving and then try to steer to driver and pop back up onto the road (I was also trying to drive up over the reeds when in the reverse run but all I accomplished was making more rut, couldn't get on top)

on the forward run the front end would pop out but not the back, and when I'd try to stop, the front would just side slip back into the rut

maybe half an hour of this not working, I reached out on Facebook to our local club (keep in mind its about 4am lol --- I did get a reply in about 5-10 mins tho! thx Dave!)

the pause that refreshes...

after taking the 5mins break to send the FB message, I thought of something else to try

STEER PASSENGER!

took a couple of tries, but the front tires were able to bite into the vegetation on passenger (as opposed to the mud on driver) and I was able to climb the fronts as the mud let the rear slip around until I was pretty much perpendicular to the ditch but now my front and rear were straddling the ditch

a whole lot of skinny pedal in reverse and I was free! even with full throttle it barely pulled backward thru the muck to climb out when the fronts dropped back in and climbed back out as I crossed the dip ... wasn't pretty, wasn't graceful, but I was out and assessing damage and on my way home to lick my wounds

it wasn't just mud I was in...there were all kinds of tree limbs poking at tires and underbelly ... nothing helpful ... all small but big enough to hurt ... found this guy wedged in the axel end of my rear lca's btwn the mount bracket and the lca ... it did NOT take out my zerk!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5844.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	494450  
bazross likes this.

Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.

A Roaring Lion Kills No Game
post #1423 of 3545 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:08 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Quote:
F Joy previously said: View Post

soft and slippery were my enemies to be sure! I was running the high tops of the ridges and it side slipped down into the rut/ditch

so, the escape...

after a bunch of attempts of backing up into the reeds (00:20 in the video) to get some running distance/speed, I would get moving and then try to steer to driver and pop back up onto the road (I was also trying to drive up over the reeds when in the reverse run but all I accomplished was making more rut, couldn't get on top)

on the forward run the front end would pop out but not the back, and when I'd try to stop, the front would just side slip back into the rut

maybe half an hour of this not working, I reached out on Facebook to our local club (keep in mind its about 4am lol --- I did get a reply in about 5-10 mins tho! thx Dave!)

after taking the 5mins break to send the FB message, I thought of something else to try

STEER PASSENGER!

took a couple of tries, but the front tires were able to bite into the vegetation on passenger (as opposed to the mud on driver) and I was able to climb the fronts as the mud let the rear slip around until I was pretty much perpendicular to the ditch but now my front and rear were straddling the ditch

a whole lot of skinny pedal in reverse and I was free! even with full throttle it barely pulled backward thru the muck to climb out when the fronts dropped back in and climbed back out as I crossed the dip ... wasn't pretty, wasn't graceful, but I was out and assessing damage and on my way home to lick my wounds

it wasn't just mud I was in...there were all kinds of tree limbs poking at tires and underbelly ... nothing helpful ... all small but big enough to hurt ... found this guy wedged in the axel end of my rear lca's btwn the mount bracket and the lca ... it did NOT take out my zerk!
I think you've convinced me to never go out on a trail alone.. glad to hear you got out on your own mate!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1424 of 3545 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:14 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:

so, the escape...

STEER PASSENGER!

G'day mate,
Great story... And a great result....
Some times you just gotta give it a tickle, and have faith...and luck....
Cheers
Baz
post #1425 of 3545 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:26 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
LEVz_ previously said: View Post
I think you've convinced me to never go out on a trail alone.. glad to hear you got out on your own mate!
G'day mate,
Be prepared, be cautious ..and use your brain.... No reason not to go out alone....
Have a go....
cheers
Baz
GammaBruiser likes this.
post #1426 of 3545 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:34 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
G'day mate,
Be prepared, be cautious ..and use your brain.... No reason not to go out alone....
Have a go....
cheers
Baz
Cheers Baz,
With some more experience i'm sure i'll be more up to the idea of going solo, i think a set of maxtrax and i'll be pretty prepared, just need the confidence. See you out there one day anyway!
post #1427 of 3545 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:46 AM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
LEVz_ previously said: View Post
Cheers Baz,
With some more experience i'm sure i'll be more up to the idea of going solo, i think a set of maxtrax and i'll be pretty prepared, just need the confidence. See you out there one day anyway!
and be diligent about paying attention ... I was on my own cuz I was just out for a sunday drive in the rain ... never intended for anything adventurous ... a moments carelessness and I was up to my elbows
bazross likes this.

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.

post #1428 of 3545 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:48 AM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
G'day mate,
Great story... And a great result....
Some times you just gotta give it a tickle, and have faith...and luck....
Cheers
Baz

you know it!

love that I was able to self rescue ... no love for the accidental of the situation
bazross likes this.

post #1429 of 3545 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 07:03 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
and be diligent about paying attention ... I was on my own cuz I was just out for a sunday drive in the rain ... never intended for anything adventurous ... a moments carelessness and I was up to my elbows
Ah and here i was thinking you went on a trail and happened to get stuck! Well good job getting out on your own in that case. I'm guessing you weren't prepared for what happened at all.
post #1430 of 3545 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 09:05 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage

Went wheeling to a trail full of mud, when we arrived it was all dry, so no mud, but 6 river crossings.

We stopped by this river to have lunch and some drinks

There might be more pictures in other cameras from the other rigs, i'll try to get them.

2008 / Titanium Metallic FJ cruiser / TRD wheels / Fab fours front bumper / 9.5 warn xp thermometric winch / 315/75/R16 BF Goodrich KO2 / Pro Comp 3 inch susp lift / Light Racing UCA / 1.25 spidertrax wheel spacers / 40 inch Offroad Led Bars / Offroad Gears Rear Light Mount / Offroad Led Bars Cube leds / Otrattw Switches / Currently Half Dipped StormCloud Grey Metallic

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Tags
fj cruiser , modifications , off road , today

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in