What did you do WITH your FJ today, Take 2... - Page 320 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

7048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #3191 of 3274 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 10:08 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: What did you do WITH your FJ today, Take 2...

Quote:
JKFJ08 previously said: View Post
Sure beats an axe and wedge. when i lived in Michigan I wished i had one of those.
I've used a maul to spit wood all my life. But we had so many trees come down this year due to heavy snow and high winds that it would take me 5 years to split it all by hand. Fortunately, because one of those trees landed on the FJ, totaling it, the hefty insurance settlement allowed me to repair the superficial body damage and have enough money left over to buy a bunch of upgrades for the truck and this splitter. Funny how things work out.
amaclach, debFJVT and Prius2FJ like this.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has caused all the damage to my FJ.
~ Robert Frost

I have an FJ. It has stuff on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3192 of 3274 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 10:50 PM
4-Corners Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Garage

Well, I drove to Moab! I'm currently spending the next couple nights here. I'm here with my family to see some of the sights and national parks but I'm hoping to get the FJ out and wheel, even if it is on a simple trail!
Zed 71, CRFjockey, debFJVT and 2 others like this.
post #3193 of 3274 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 11:10 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
FJX2000 previously said: View Post
Well, I drove to Moab! I'm currently spending the next couple nights here. I'm here with my family to see some of the sights and national parks but I'm hoping to get the FJ out and wheel, even if it is on a simple trail!
There is a dirt road entrance into Arches from the north that is good for kids and one or two challenging spur trails where you need rock sliders.

There is also a relatively easy 4x4 only trail adjacent to The Great Arch parking lot that I let my son and daughter drive through. They loved it.

Moab Brewery downtown is family friendly and has pretty decent grub. They also brew their own draught rootbeer.

All these things are highly recomended if you have younger kids and can't make all the more famous named and challenging trails. Of course, if you can sneak away from the fam for a few hours and join up with some other drivers, I recommend that as well!
FJX2000, amaclach, FJFool and 1 others like this.

Last edited by i12c; 03-16-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3194 of 3274 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 03:30 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 1961 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
i12c previously said: View Post
There is a dirt road entrance into Arches from the north that is good for kids and one or two challenging spur trails where you need rock sliders.

There is also a relatively easy 4x4 only trail adjacent to The Great Arch parking lot that I let my son and daughter drive through. They loved it.

Moab Brewery downtown is family friendly and has pretty decent grub. They also brew their own draught rootbeer.

All these things are highly recomended if you have younger kids and can't make all the more famous named and challenging trails. Of course, if you can sneak away from the fam for a few hours and join up with some other drivers, I recommend that as well!
I have been on some of those 4x4 trails and there are a few steep rocky spots and lots of really deep sand, so had some fun there. And so beautiful! But after coming across and rescuing a stranded tourist near sunset I learned from the rangers that is not an uncommon occurance...people impulsively trying these trails who are totally unprepared for them and end up stuck and/or broken, maybe spending the night out on the trail. So if you go out there be ready bring someone back with you
ICChief, CRFjockey, FJFool and 2 others like this.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #3195 of 3274 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 05:33 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
debFJVT previously said: View Post
Quote:
i12c previously said: View Post

I have been on some of those 4x4 trails and there are a few steep rocky spots and lots of really deep sand, so had some fun there. And so beautiful! But after coming across and rescuing a stranded tourist near sunset I learned from the rangers that is not an uncommon occurance...people impulsively trying these trails who are totally unprepared for them and end up stuck and/or broken, maybe spending the night out on the trail. So if you go out there be ready bring someone back with you [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gif[/IMG]
Good point debFJVT! Fortunately the trails I took were close enough to the main drag that one could easily walk back for help. In fact, the dirt entrance to Arches parallells the paved highway and has occasional traffic. I never took a closed trail. Also, handheld radios, cell phones and water are a must.
ICChief, debFJVT and FJFool like this.
post #3196 of 3274 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:37 AM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2722 Post(s)
Garage

Left it at home and flew to Ireland for work.
I have some opel diesel monstrosity as a rental and I miss my FJ.
ZerosFJ, Lee44 and Prius2FJ like this.

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262
post #3197 of 3274 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:43 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
amaclach previously said: View Post
Left it at home and flew to Ireland for work.
I have some opel diesel monstrosity as a rental and I miss my FJ.
haha...welome to Europe...

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html
post #3198 of 3274 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:00 AM
Desert Moderator

Garage

Quote:
ZerosFJ previously said: View Post
haha...welome to Europe...
Its horrendous. I don't know what model it is and I don't care. It's uncomfortable, the mirrors suck, the clutch has zero feel and it loves to stall, and the A pillar is about 12 feet thick and right by my face.
It also has one of those ridiculous electric parking brakes...

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

post #3199 of 3274 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:05 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
amaclach previously said: View Post
Its horrendous. I don't know what model it is and I don't care. It's uncomfortable, the mirrors suck, the clutch has zero feel and it loves to stall, and the A pillar is about 12 feet thick and right by my face.
It also has one of those ridiculous electric parking brakes...
That's a pretty accurate description of most 'Euro Boxes'... though you left out the 'completely gutless' so the manufacturer can tell you its super efficient.
amaclach, FJFool and Iconic_ like this.

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html
post #3200 of 3274 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:10 AM
Desert Moderator

Garage

Quote:
ZerosFJ previously said: View Post
That's a pretty accurate description of most 'Euro Boxes'... though you left out the 'completely gutless' so the manufacturer can tell you its super efficient.
Well yeah obviously.
TBH I just drove it with the traffic, but I did note the remarkable lack of low down torque and its tendency to stall at the drop of a hat...

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Tags
fj cruiser , modifications , off road , today

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in