Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

People, Your FJ mpg goes here

391K views 2K replies 1K participants last post by  MikeS11222 
#1 ·
I drove to the bay area and back, and really wasnt impressed. I got 248 miles on a full tank when I went to SF yesterday. Plz somebody tell me this is only because its breaking in lol.

#3 ·
CACressida said:
I drove to the bay area and back, and really wasnt impressed. I got 248 miles on a full tank when I went to SF yesterday. Plz somebody tell me this is only because its breaking in lol.
Ahh..sorry to say nope...calll it real world..lets see 248 mi with 18 gals + 13.7 mpg :eek: do you have a MT or AT ? How many gals to fill up ? How are you driving it? May get a couple more MPG but not much

#4 ·
The tank is a 19 gallon tank. was it hwy driving?? Or a mix of Freeway and city????

#5 ·
oldawg said:
Ahh..sorry to say nope...calll it real world..lets see 248 mi with 18 gals + 13.7 mpg :eek: do you have a MT or AT ? How many gals to fill up ? How are you driving it? May get a couple more MPG but not much
Well, i was a bit heavy on the throttle when powering into the freeway 3 times, smoked a few hondas on the street after revving at me, wat else... oh, i out ran some rubber necks that followed me every lane i took, some would even keep pace with me side by side. 15.714 to fill up full. But im really hoping its just a break in thing. Cuz man, my 4runner has some meaty tires, a brushgaurd and a thirsty 3.4l, with a 16' long trailer strapped to its ass yet it takes 3/4 tanks of gas a trip from Modesto to: Hayward, San Leandro, Walnut Creek, Concord, Richmond back to San Leandro, drop a 481lb engine in the trailer and back to Modesto. Fillup 3/4 tank was 12.something gallons.:confused:

#1,134 ·
Hey man, you drive like that your gunna get **** gas mileage!

I drive my FJ like you do.. and get about 10mpg so I wouldn't complain.
No .. not illegally.. I accelerate to 20 quickly and lay off in school zones i swear!!!

Actually, anyone that drives like that is gunna get **** for gas mileage. Hell, I drove my wifes Toyota Prius (rated 45 MPG) and watched that display.. I got 13 mpg in it.. So don't think punching it is going to get you decent mileage.. its going to get you **** no matter what car, 4 cylinder hybrid or v8

#6 ·
To use 19 gallons, the truck would have run out of gas. How many gallons did it take to refill the tank and that it really was topped out when you started out. Assuming you refilled when the light came on and there were 3 gallons left the mileage (248/16) would be 15.5. Be sure it is topped off and drive around again. Do you have a roof rack?

#8 ·
You can probably expect 15-16 mpg once you get used to it and don't power it around or speed as much. I would think that the typical 75 mph+ freway ride should get you about 18 mpg.

this is what the nissan VQ-40 gets. I did get 20.5 mpg once and I will stress that that was on out of state gasoline.

we definitely get the short end of the stick, btu wise, in CA. reformulated gas sucks.

#9 ·
FJconvert? said:
Did you have a moose in your FJ?
Does my mother in-law count? Muhahahhha

Well, forgot to mention, it has the scary from the inside roofrack that makes TONS of wind noise, and my FJ shine its refill light right when i drove up my driveway. Topped it off, even squeezed some in there and ended up getting like 6ounces on the paint, but caught it b4 it hit the black cladding....Heres another thing to think about, gas + cladding?!

#587 ·
be careful about topping these off.... There is some sort of vapor resevoir, something or other... they said its meant for vapors but topping off fills it and can cost big bucks to fix and reset... dealer told me 300 bucks.... just passing it on... anyone true of false?

#11 ·
With both the Honda Element and Acura MDX we have, the engine computers did not let you have full power and the gas milage was lower until there was 10K-12k on the odometer. I read that this was common these days to help with break-in and figured it would be the same on the FJ.

#788 · (Edited)
With roof rack, manual xmission. Without some extras (budbuilt skids, which weigh a ton), but with Warn front bumber & 9.5ti winch): almost exactly 111 miles, about 10.987 gallons.

About 1/3 city, 2/3 70mph highway.

#13 ·
I suspect this is the first of many many many complaints we will see on this board about "Real World" MPG on the FJC. In fact, it will predict here and now, Soothsayer Spikey says it will be the #1 issue with these vehicles! Now maybe it's not possible to make a good offroad truck, gasoline engine, that get reasonalble mileage, but that's why some of us have been so shrill in our quest for a DIESEL !!!

#15 ·
CACressida said:
Well, i was a bit heavy on the throttle when powering into the freeway 3 times, smoked a few hondas on the street after revving at me, wat else... oh, i out ran some rubber necks that followed me every lane i took, some would even keep pace with me side by side. 15.714 to fill up full. But im really hoping its just a break in thing. Cuz man, my 4runner has some meaty tires, a brushgaurd and a thirsty 3.4l, with a 16' long trailer strapped to its ass yet it takes 3/4 tanks of gas a trip from Modesto to: Hayward, San Leandro, Walnut Creek, Concord, Richmond back to San Leandro, drop a 481lb engine in the trailer and back to Modesto. Fillup 3/4 tank was 12.something gallons.:confused:
Don't worry about mpg right now. You're smokin' people and having fun. Just focus on that...

#18 ·
CACressida said:
That puts you right at 15.75mpg I wouldn't expect to see much over 17mpg best case...Then adding a ARB bumper,33" tires ..whew...defiantly not well suited for a Calif daley driver :eek: again is this a auto or manual transmission ?

#20 ·
Aris said:
if anything, the mpg may be the deal breaker for me, since i would have to use it as a daily driver. :\
If you drive 15,000 miles a year at 15 mpg that is 1000 gallons of gas=$3,500
if you drive 15,000 miles a year at 20 mpg that is 750 gallons of gas= $2,625
This is based on gas at $3.50 a gallon

so it cost you about $875.00 more in gas than the average mpg in america.

that is $2.39 a day. Just give up starbucks and you there.

#21 · (Edited)
MauiJim1 said:
If you drive 15,000 miles a year at 15 mpg that is 1000 gallons of gas=$3,500
if you drive 15,000 miles a year at 20 mpg that is 750 gallons of gas= $2,625
This is based on gas at $3.50 a gallon

so it cost you about $875.00 more in gas than the average mpg in america.

that is $2.39 a day. Just give up starbucks and you there.
He said daily driver! who drives daily at 15,000 miles a year ? Cant be done in Calif where everything is a 30-60 mile comute..Also that comes out to 300.00 a month on top of a 5-600.00 payment,insurance,maintaince!! Im telling ya this will easily be a $1000.00 a month ride as a daily driver at least in Calif

#22 ·
oldawg said:
He said daily driver! who drives daily at 15,000 miles a year ? Cant be done in Calif where everything is a 30-60 mile comute..Also that comes out to 300.00 a month on top of a 5-600.00 payment,insurance,maintaince!! Im telling ya this will easily be a $1000.00 a month ride as a daily driver at least in Calif
yup. i take ferry/bus to work, no problem for me. dudes,....you didnt get a prius. you got something that eats old dinosaur bones n ****. im pretty much planning on somewhere between 10-15 depending on lift/tires/crap in the truck etc etc. gotsta get real here. it's not a commuter car, it's a big beefy panzer tank!!

#24 ·
caliFJ said:
yup. i take ferry/bus to work, no problem for me. dudes,....you didnt get a prius. you got something that eats old dinosaur bones n ****. im pretty much planning on somewhere between 10-15 depending on lift/tires/crap in the truck etc etc. gotsta get real here. it's not a commuter car, it's a big beefy panzer tank!!
x Eleventybillion

HEAR HEAR!!!

- LC

#25 ·
Sure the sticker says 17 - 21, BUT under highway driving there's a little asterisk noting "data not available at time of production". So basically Toyota probably doesn't know actuals yet. Toyotas generally take a couple thousand miles to officially break in and give you the optimum mpgs, since they're built with higher tolerances than most brands. My Tundra was at 12 mpg for a couple months then slowly went up to 17 right now.

#26 ·
oldawg said:
That is the price you pay for living in CA! As many tree-huggers there are in CA you would think they would build mass transit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.