Just drove the 6-Speed - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Just drove the 6-Speed

Man it's been a long time since I drove a NEW vehicle with a manual transmission. I like the FJ Cruiser I drove today. Nice ride and good pickup – I missed 3rd and hit 5th about three times. Lot’s of shifting but that’s Ok. It was a $30K plus Yellow 6-speed. There are a couple things I didn't like too. Passengers in back will be claustrophobic with no windows that open. The visibility is really rather poor. The space in back is limited as is the storage.

The salesman backed this 6-speed up against an 7” curb and was attempting to back it up onto the platform from which it came. Smoke rolled out from under the thing as the clutch began to burn up. Not buying that one! I want to see how I like it in Black!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 03:16 PM

Re: Just drove the 6-Speed

Anyone driven the AT and MT. Just curious in the differences in performance. Anxiously awaiting my M/T.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 03:24 PM

I have driven both and I will say that I like the responsiveness of the MT. It did take a while to stop from putting it in Reverse when I wanted to get back into first. It is set up different from my manual...

What I did notice is that with the auto when you do punch it does move nicely but you have a hard time building RPMs to give you a jump... I liked the way the manual responded downshifting for traffic better than the auto.

The clutch is not too tight and the fact that it has a kill clutch start switch on it makes it nice. I have ordered a manual and after driving both I am staying with my choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

driven the AT only - as cant find a MT round here. i havent driven MT for years - will probably look like a fool pullin out the lot - but f'it - nothing like a MT.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 04:29 PM

mt for me...at not a great match for this engine...i feel wasted power as you run through the curve
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 04:46 PM
Forum Regular

Wish I could get MT with part-time 4WD.

any of you guys hear anything about different axle ratios for the two tranny options? 3.73 AT vs 3.91 MT?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Forum Superstar

Drove both. MT 4 days ago. AT today.
MT: 1st time in ages, was fun but too much work for me. Shifting is very smooth. You Do get that rpm buildup and jump. Also noiser interior cabin because of it. 4wd all the time
AT: very smooth. Much quieter in the cabin than I remembered in the MT.
faster through the corners. too. 2wd. 4wd on the fly (must shift)
both have great pick up power. Just what your use to and what you'll be using it for. I hate it when people tell me to use the search function, but I know this topic has come up before. hope that helps

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in