What does everybody think of this FJ? - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 05:01 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Garage
Re: What does everybody think of this FJ?

Quote:
Darth Chuckles previously said: View Post
^Good advice

I went in on the last day of the month just to browse for my wife and the dealer went into a panic when we started to walk out. Actually pulled our keys off the table where I had set them and "misplaced" them until I told them just to call me a cab.

When I negotiated my FJ recently I went over the vehicle with a note pad, wrote down everything that wasnt OEM and asked to see the service records for the installation of everything else. If I found anything wonky (and I did, deck screws through the seat backs to hold an amp) I used that to call everything about the vehicle into question. Dealer dropped thousands off the asking price before we started "haggling".

Go into it like you're doing them a favor, because you are.
You are doing them a favor, but keep in mind, this FJ will sell no matter what.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 07:21 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)

Quote:
mackb previously said: View Post
but keep in mind, this FJ will sell no matter what.
Maybe, don't be so sure. The majority of buyers out there want something in production. The mental trip is out lasting the dealer. Everything is in your favor so be calm, they say people are going to fight over it, but really pretty much everyone that wanted an FJ has or had one. So a vehicle on a dealer lot is dead meat if it is out of production.
81N4RY likes this.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.

George S. Patton

βŁύẾֱֳֳֶָָmŢ6ֳֶֻ׃
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 07:25 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Garage

I see what you are saying @abophx :-) But why do they hold their resale value so well?

The last day of the month is for sure the best time to but though!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 07:36 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)

Their resale value holds high because it's a Toyota and that is long term not short term. Look for what other Toyotas are going for, it doesn't always apply to your region or demographics. The higher resale value is based on VEHICLES in production. The buying market has a thing for the newest and bestest, so watch carefully. You could get this FJ for alot cheaper or not, but remember there are others out there and you will learn from this and that will carry you thru life. Trust me on this I know.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.

George S. Patton

βŁύẾֱֳֳֶָָmŢ6ֳֶֻ׃
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 07:38 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Mars Soup previously said: View Post
I paid $2400 less than the dealer did for the car.

Just ask them to show you how much they paid for it. Paying anywhere near that is a good price.

People like having all these little tricks for car shopping about when to go in and what to say and do...

Just ask them how much they paid and then expect to pay a little more than that. Problem solved.
So, you really think the dealer lost money on you? I highly doubt it, and I doubt you were really shown what they actually paid for the vehicle. If you are buying a new vehicle, the dealer has several avenues of making money, besides just the margin on the price, but again, I just don't see a dealer taking a loss on a vehicle.

2007 Titanium FJ Cruiser
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 09:22 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
WebSnyper previously said: View Post
So, you really think the dealer lost money on you? I highly doubt it, and I doubt you were really shown what they actually paid for the vehicle. If you are buying a new vehicle, the dealer has several avenues of making money, besides just the margin on the price, but again, I just don't see a dealer taking a loss on a vehicle.
The previous owner said he got a check from the dealer for $2400 more than what I paid for it.

I'm no mathematician, but if the dealer paid more money for the FJ than I paid the dealer for the FJ...

2011 FJ Cruiser, 5 wheels + steering wheel, lights, drive shaft, internal combustion engine, windows on all sides, doors, oil in engine, gas powered, Icon stage 2 suspension, nitto terra grapplers on the 5 wheels, no tires on steering wheel
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 09:24 PM
Forum Regular

Garage

I've also sold cars before and have a good friend that works at the dealer that I got the car from.

2011 FJ Cruiser, 5 wheels + steering wheel, lights, drive shaft, internal combustion engine, windows on all sides, doors, oil in engine, gas powered, Icon stage 2 suspension, nitto terra grapplers on the 5 wheels, no tires on steering wheel
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage

Hello everyone. Picked up my first FJ this year and am totally in love with it. Also love this forum. This thread got me thinking a little though and I would be interested to hear everyone's thoughts...

It seems like chrome is a negative to most folks in here, and functionality seems to rule over aesthetics when it comes to mods. The FJ i bought has a chrome grille guard and i am on the fence with it. it appears to serve a purpose - protecting the lights and a bit underneath the bumper. it is bolted to the frame so it *should* provide some protection if it is pushed in for any reason. i have no prior experience with these so i simply don't know.

i do like it (and get lots of compliments, actually) but would have picked a black one (integrated with bumper) and perhaps one with a slightly lower profile. in your experiences would this be something to hang on to? Also those side steps are the next thing to go!

(p.s. does anyone else's wife think they are insane for putting so much thought into these things)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-08-29 12.11.02.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	549529  

Last edited by Sooth Sayuh; 08-30-2015 at 08:41 AM.
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 11:03 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Sooth Sayuh previously said: View Post
Hello everyone. Picked up my first FJ this year and am totally in love with it. Also love this forum. This thread got me thinking a little though and I would be interested to hear everyone's thoughts...

It seems like chrome is a negative to most folks in here, and functionality seems to rule over aesthetics when it comes to mods. The FJ i bought has a chrome bullguard and i am on the fence with it. it appears to serve a purpose - protecting the lights and a bit underneath the bumper. it is bolted to the frame so it *should* provide some protection if it is pushed in for any reason. i have no prior experience with these so i simply don't know.

i do like it (and get lots of compliments, actually) but would have picked a black one and perhaps one with a slightly lower profile. in your experiences would this be something to hang on to? Also those side steps are the next thing to go!

(p.s. does anyone else's wife think they are insane for putting so much thought into these things)
The bullguard is ok if you are not going to do any serious off-roading. It's great for trails to protect a little against small brush. It appears that if you were going to do any serious off-roading it will detract from the factory approach angle.

If those are predator steps then they will cause you to get hung up on rocks depending on where you go.

Great looking truck and if the modification bug hits the truck will take on a new look anyway.
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 12:57 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
What does everybody think of this FJ?

Quote:
Sooth Sayuh previously said: View Post

It seems like chrome is a negative to most folks in here, and functionality seems to rule over aesthetics when it comes to mods. The FJ i bought has a chrome bullguard and i am on the fence with it. it appears to serve a purpose - protecting the lights and a bit underneath the bumper. it is bolted to the frame so it *should* provide some protection if it is pushed in for any reason. i have no prior experience with these so i simply don't know.

i do like it (and get lots of compliments, actually) but would have picked a black one and perhaps one with a slightly lower profile. in your experiences would this be something to hang on to? Also those side steps are the next thing to go!

It would serve little to no function for me, so I would ditch it. Like said above, it would reduce the approach angle and I've already bent the under side of the bumper from going up rocks that were slightly too aggressive.

If I did keep it, I would paint the chrome tubes flat black to match the tubes of the roof rack.

My theory in almost all car mods I've done is that function follows form.

ETA- sell it and use money towards other mods.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in