Terrible in ice and snow. - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

331Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 253 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Terrible in ice and snow.

Hi All,

I picked up another FJ in October, 2013 TT. Super excited to be back in an FJ and have been looking at getting a 2013 TT for awhile now. It been great except one kinda major thing. Its terrible in ice and snow. Like terrible terrible. I forgot until driving this new one how and my last FJ was in the snow too. Im coming from an ALL wheel drive MINI Countryman which was almost impossible to lose traction in that car, and that was on decent all season tires. Before that I had a BMW 128i, rear wheel drive with dedicated snow tires...that was also fantastic in the snow and ice...

That leads me to my FJ. Its awful. I even have brand new BFGoodrich KO2s on it and it might as well have summer tires. Maybe its the high center of gravity, maybe its that all the weight is up front. I actually stopped in a parking lot this morning on a slight incline and the FJ started sliding down it with the brakes on and stopped.

I've read extensively about this and I don't want the typical responses, "learn how to drive", or "this isn't an all wheel car", or "the FJ is flawless and I hate you"

...at the end of the day, when you get into your car and have the proper tires, it should perform safely in all the elements.

Its impossible that I am the only person experiencing this with the FJ and I would like to hear from other honest people that have similar issues and what they did to work around them.
toyotacolin and Cayenne like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 253 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Terrible in ice and snow.

Slow down...?
Cholerabob, Devin66 and Moab Junky like this.

2012 Army Geen Off road/Convenience
afe stage 2 CIA, Unichip, Doug Thorley LTH, URD offroad y, O2 Simulator, Borla Dual Exhaust, Cooper STT Pro 295/70/17, leveling kit, BMC, Spidertrax 1.25"
+more and lots of stickers...
post #3 of 253 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 08:06 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)

I wouldn't know as I am driving my front wheel drive winter beater now. FJ parked in garage for duration of winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 253 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 08:17 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage

I think my FJ is a beast in the snow and ice. I have never had an issue and can't wait for it to snow so I can go play.

I am guessing the issue is tire selection. I run Duratracs.
Sporin, fastrob691, thane and 6 others like this.
post #5 of 253 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage

I'm curious about this too. I'm a bit over a month into my first FJ. While I'm not in a huge snow-area, we do see snow here from time to time. How the FJ operates in the snow is something that will be important to me.

Sean
EDFONG likes this.

K0MSM
2007 FJ Cruiser - Sun Fusion - "Helios"
Mods: Warn winch & front bumper / Westin tube-style steps / TRD exhaust / RevTek Spacer Lift / Yaesu FT-8800 dual-band radio / Vi-Store over-visor storage / Johnson 5317 VHF radio (CAP) / Blue Sea Systems auxiliary fuse block

Many more to come...
post #6 of 253 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 08:28 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Quote:
EffJ previously said: View Post
Hi All,

I picked up another FJ in October, 2013 TT. Super excited to be back in an FJ and have been looking at getting a 2013 TT for awhile now. It been great except one kinda major thing. Its terrible in ice and snow. Like terrible terrible. I forgot until driving this new one how and my last FJ was in the snow too. Im coming from an ALL wheel drive MINI Countryman which was almost impossible to lose traction in that car, and that was on decent all season tires. Before that I had a BMW 128i, rear wheel drive with dedicated snow tires...that was also fantastic in the snow and ice...

That leads me to my FJ. Its awful. I even have brand new BFGoodrich KO2s on it and it might as well have summer tires. Maybe its the high center of gravity, maybe its that all the weight is up front. I actually stopped in a parking lot this morning on a slight incline and the FJ started sliding down it with the brakes on and stopped.

I've read extensively about this and I don't want the typical responses, "learn how to drive", or "this isn't an all wheel car", or "the FJ is flawless and I hate you"

...at the end of the day, when you get into your car and have the proper tires, it should perform safely in all the elements.

Its impossible that I am the only person experiencing this with the FJ and I would like to hear from other honest people that have similar issues and what they did to work around them.
I use my FJ as a commuting vehicle, specially in the snow and ice, in upstate NY. This truck is simply awesome for winter weather. I am running BFGoodrich tires too, and have no problems with traction. What tire pressures are you running and how old are the tires?

Last edited by vcheng; 01-04-2016 at 08:47 AM.
post #7 of 253 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 08:29 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

The FJ is a heavy pig. I would chalk this up to the tires. I've had several sets of BFGs over the years and in my experience, they are not a good snow tire at all. I bought my FJ used and there was an almost brand knew set of BFGs on it. I pulled those off after the first snow (after sledding down our driveway) and put better ones on. Made a huge difference.

IMO get better suited tires and your FJ will serve you well.
smartdog, RomaBoy and BIOHZRD like this.
post #8 of 253 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 08:31 AM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2882 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Super excited to be back in an FJ
Welcome back!

Quote:
I even have brand new BFGoodrich KO2s on it
I've never used them myself, but I've heard bad things about them in all conditions. They look BA though.

Quote:
I actually stopped in a parking lot this morning on a slight incline and the FJ started sliding down it with the brakes on and stopped.
Sounds like it's not the car unless the brakes / park wasn't working. Probably tires.

Quote:
The FJ is flawless...

Quote:
Indeed. I don't have any snow or ice but I love my Cooper AT3s. @FJMatt swore by AT3s until he bought studded tires.

Quote:
Speak to the Canadians & Coloradans.
gaylonw, BlindWilly and Iconic_ like this.

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262
post #9 of 253 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 08:40 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2652 Post(s)
Supporting Member

I have an 07 fj 4wd. I have never had any issues in snow or ice with it. It's been great in the mountains under crappy weather conditions.
post #10 of 253 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
"the FJ is flawless and I hate you"
HA! That made me choke on my coffee.

Regarding snow and ice - i have noticed varying behavior. i can be driving 30+ mph in deep snow in 4H and it handles like a boss. Then sometimes in an icy parking lot in 2H at 5 mph the slip indicator comes on and all hell breaks loose. (that is probably supposed to happen if it is indeed slippery but it scares the crap out of me)

i am still running the destination a/t's that were on when i bought the fj. i have been doing donuts on my neighbors' lawns trying to wear them out as fast as possible so i can upgrade. i do imagine that better tires will significantly improve both low and high speed snow and ice performance. (i have been eyeballing the Nitto Exo Grapplers)
rongoms and Tarver King like this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in