Is this for real? 2017 FJ Cruiser. - Page 5 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 05:19 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Is this for real? 2017 FJ Cruiser.

Quote:
amaclach previously said: View Post
I believe that right from the start it was envisioned as a one generation model. That one generation just happened to run for 10 years.
A,
Perhaps so, but the first 2 years they sold 50K per year, then sales went to 12K-13K per year.
I believe Fiat sells 200K Jeeps per year.
I read where the Prada LC Platform, which is the line that the FJ's were built on, was coming up due for a major redesign and if the FJ was to stay, Toyota would have to spend design dollars on it to continue to use the platform.
A low selling unit needs to be very profitable, like the LC and the LX. They sell about 20K per year across the 2 marques.
Selling for $88K to $100K, they can do a redesign very 10 years or so and Capitalize the design costs across the next 10 years of sales.
At the FJ price point, the math is just not there.
Perhaps some Forum member is connected to Toyota and could weigh in.
Anyway, I love these trucks and I am pleased that I was able to own 3 from new.
They were each very different, but very much the same as well- a dichotomy, for sure!
gm
amaclach and FatJohnson like this.

TLCA # 20795
2018 Lexus LX570
2018 Jeep JK Rubicon Recon
2014 FJ TTUE- 1 of 2500
1994 Mustang Cobra Indy Pace Car Convertible 5.0 (Stock)
1986 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab Longbed 5.0 (Stock)
1982 Jeep CJ7 Limited Edition (Stock)
1966 Corvair Corsa Turbo Convertible (Stock)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 07:34 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Garage

Thank you for the great explanation..now it makes more sense to me. What really blows my mind is how the FJ costs less than a tin can Jeep. Hopefully Toyota doesn't wait very long for the Gen2 FJC to be released( if that's their plan ).

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk
post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:28 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)

IMO Toyota had no real long term plan for the FJC. They didn't attempt to market it as such. These vehicles flew under the radar for 7+ years with most of Joe public having no idea of their capabilities. They could have really gone after the "Jeep" market and almost had the momentum to do so but it appears to that they weren't really interested. Ford may finally have the bronco, Chevy is trying their hardest with the Colorado/ Canyon to compete with the TACO but none are giving Jeep an honest run.
I was just at my in-laws garage yesterday talking about this very thing. He's a respected mechanic in the area and admitted to having no idea what the FJC really was until he had one in his shop. He the had a eureka moment and thought, this is a real machine...
He compared it to the poor attempt that Ford made when they reintroduced the Thunderbird. It did nothing but carry the name. So he just assumed the FJC was nothing more than a namesake in a RAV4 body. His thinking was that Toyota failed in that aspect because what he discovered was that it was great body-on-frame that was capable!

My point is that Toyota did nothing to put the FJC in the spotlight throughout the years. Soccer moms bought it 'cause it looked cool and IMHO traded them back fairly quickly. Gas mileage poor, drives like a brick, not practical in most senses. I can image most thinking what the he!! did I buy, this thing is horrible. I doesn't compare to my Hilander or RAV4. They didn't appeal to the Jeep crowd because I think if they would have and really got after it, we'd talking about what the 2nd gen FJC did to up the game. Instead we are looking at the 4Runner, Tundra and Taco line of TRD PROS. That was Toyotas answer and it was almost as if they used the FJC as the guinea pig in the experiment. The TRD PRO series are reaping the benefits and $$$ of the groundwork the FJC community put in IMHO.
BIGGUY, heavydutyfj and FatJohnson like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 09:22 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Garage

Your second paragraph pretty much describes my own personal eureka..when the FJ was released, my wife and I should have went and looked at one up close. We always thought they looked neat when one would drive by, but for some reason, we didn't realize that they were a serious machine. We honestly thought they'd be some 4 cylinder wannabe tough looking truck. Had we known what they really were, we would have made a drive to the Toyota dealer to look at one up close, and likely wouldn't have bought our FX45..and I would have met you all much sooner than I did. Better late than never.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk
amaclach, Joabmc and cliffy like this.
post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:08 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
NVDojo previously said: View Post
Here's a Youtube video showing a couple lifted Trollers in the Brazilian jungle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv-DCCOM0cE
Looks like a remodeled Jeep, even the front end has the same issues, no skids, everything under the bumpers exposed. Never could understand why a lot of Jeeps don't have Bash plates/shielding.

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him for ever.
爸爸龙
post #46 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 02:17 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Garage

Looks like typical Ford reliability with shorting out headlight.
Papa Dragon likes this.
post #47 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 06:35 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)

Somebody, please stop all this fake news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ďThere is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.Ē
2010 TT 6MT. 4.56+ARB locker, Icon Coil Over Shocks+FOX 2.5 Rear+Icon UCA. All pro HD steering Kit. Metal Tech tube bumper with Caterpillar GTB 9000 Winch. Light Force Striker 170 HID. K&N cooled Air Intake. Ricochet Skid Plate. All-Pro Rear LCA. ARB Half Rack. Boztech Diff skid 285/75/16 Goodyear MTR, Edelbrock Exhaust. URD Short Shifter. Total Chaos LCA Skids.
And Death Valley Is The Place To Be
post #48 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I was just reading that the FJ wasn't released in Australia until 2011, and that their total sales were just over 11k total models sold over the entire run of the vehicle for an average of 180/month.
Somehow I thought that they sold far more than that in Australia.
I did see a website for Toyota in UAE where you can get a 2017 FJC for AED 140,000. The Arab Emerites dollar trades at .27 USD so that works out to $37,800. Sounds like a good deal to me considering prices of used ones here.
post #49 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 05:47 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

hey, guys I thought you might find this interesting.

Seems in Chile they are still selling at least a 2016, but it looks like a 2017 is also being sold. Not sure what they are, the differences, and so on, but they are being advertised. The 2017 description sounds mostly like a 2014-16 model, without any great changes.

Looks like base model is $42,461 U.S., but Chile has high taxes on new vehicles now for pollution control.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Limited 4x4 (2017)

FJ Cruiser

Toyota FJ Cruiser 2017

If I get time, perhaps I will stop by a dealership and kick the tires to see what they really are. Chilean web sites are notorious for not being updated with current information.
post #50 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 03:45 AM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2885 Post(s)
Garage

Possibly run-out models from 2016 with a few dealer installed mods.
Have a look at the build date inside the door. I might swing by a local dealer to have a look at that myself...

I just looked on the dealer website (toyota.ae) that they have a LC200 Xtreme model...

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in