Possibly Putting FJ in Short Term Storage - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Possibly Putting FJ in Short Term Storage

OFFICIALLY Will be putting it in Short Term Storage
Assignment paperwork is in progress
SWITZERLAND, here I come (after the 1st of the year)

I know about long term storage, but a work situation has come up that might require me to leave my FJ behind for about 9 months (with trips home about once every three months)
NO - I can't take it with me.......
Besides the following, can you all think of anything else I need to consider/do?
1. Clean/Wash/Wax
2. Change Oil
3. Top off all Fluids
4. Fill gas tank
5. Have someone start and let run for a while every week
6. Drive it around the block once every two weeks to prevent flat spots

and no, I'm not gonna let anyone borrow it...............lol

Last edited by FJ BRUZER; 11-17-2016 at 05:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 01:08 PM
4-Corners Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Possibly Putting FJ in Short Term Storage

Sounds like you have it pretty well figured out. Will you be putting a cover on it as well? Or will it be stored in an enclosed place?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 02:12 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)

1. You didn't state what year your FJ was, or how many miles it has on it, but change the coolant to ensure that the corrosion inhibitors are still providing protection against internal engine corrosion.

2. Flush the brake system with new brake fluid to expel all the old moisture-contaminated fluid.

3. Don't just have someone start the engine and let it idle, or "drive it around the block". Start it, and drive it at least 20 minutes every two weeks (preferably on a highway) to:
a) Bring everything up to operating temperature and drive all the condensed water out of the oil and out of the exhaust system.
b) Splash-lubricate all the internal parts in the transmission, transfer case, and differentials.
c) Keep all the seals in the brake system and struts/shock absorbers sliding properly.
d) Keep the battery charged.

If you have any accessories that have a parasitic current draw that would result in a partially or fully-discharged battery, either disconnect them (pull the appropriate fuse), or leave a battery tender (trickle charger) connected any time the vehicle isn't being driven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
FJX2000 previously said: View Post
Sounds like you have it pretty well figured out. Will you be putting a cover on it as well? Or will it be stored in an enclosed place?
YUP - will be in an enclosed/insulated garage - no cover, wife is to short to remove.......

Quote:
FJtest previously said: View Post
1. You didn't state what year your FJ was, or how many miles it has on it, but change the coolant to ensure that the corrosion inhibitors are still providing protection against internal engine corrosion.

2. Flush the brake system with new brake fluid to expel all the old moisture-contaminated fluid.

3. Don't just have someone start the engine and let it idle, or "drive it around the block". Start it, and drive it at least 20 minutes every two weeks (preferably on a highway) to:
a) Bring everything up to operating temperature and drive all the condensed water out of the oil and out of the exhaust system.
b) Splash-lubricate all the internal parts in the transmission, transfer case, and differentials.
c) Keep all the seals in the brake system and struts/shock absorbers sliding properly.
d) Keep the battery charged.

If you have any accessories that have a parasitic current draw that would result in a partially or fully-discharged battery, either disconnect them (pull the appropriate fuse), or leave a battery tender (trickle charger) connected any time the vehicle isn't being driven.
2013 - about 57,000 today, but it won't be going into storage until Jan, so figure 60K
Thanks for the Brake system and Coolant ideas -

Thanks guys, keep the ideas coming
WebSnyper likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 04:57 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)

x2 battery tender to keep that healthy

x2 do NOT start the engine unless you are going to drive it at least 20 minutes. An hour is better. Otherwise it would be far better to not start it at all. The moisture that is condensed during the first minute or so of running is very acidic and takes full heat + time to expel each time.

If you don't use a battery tender then do NOT try to start without first charging the battery. Nothing causes more harm to a battery than trying to turn over an engine when it is low on charge.

Add a fuel stabilizer to that last full tank of gas.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)

The only thing I can think of adding to all of these great suggestions is.... Surround your vehicle with mouse traps and sticky pads.... You don't want those vermin moving into your FJ....

Have a safe trip!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 10:21 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)

Excellent point about mice:

Dryer fabric softener sheets and moth balls are also supposed to work well to keeping mice and varmints away, supposedly that stuff smells kind of like predator urine to their noses.

Close the HVAC recirc to keep mice from getting in through the duct and tape or plug the exhaust pipe. Besides putting dryer sheets in the engine compartment and each of the footwell areas, apply mouse bait in the 4 corners of the garage to kill any who come inside before they can even notice your car is sitting there like a huge pile of piss filled upholstery and wire insulation "food". They can cause untold damage in just a month or two once they move in.

Remember that a mouse only needs a hole about the size of a dime, and they are adept at making dime sized holes in rubber grommets (which also taste like food) and chewing through wires (ditto).

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

You should drive in 4 low and 4 high to keep things lubricated.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 09:24 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

If you keep it up to date on service - wash and wax it, throw some stabilizer in the fuel and put it on a battery tender. Your talking 9 months, not 9 years.

All the mods and vehicles I have ever owned.

Anything less than absolute overkill is a half assed waste of time.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
UTEFJ previously said: View Post
If you keep it up to date on service - wash and wax it, throw some stabilizer in the fuel and put it on a battery tender. Your talking 9 months, not 9 years.
Thanks for the reminder, even @ 9 months there are some things that will need to be done, but NOTHING like super long term storage.
I do have someone who is going to be starting it and driving it every week to every two weeks. - So hopefully that'll be enough with the other suggestions made - my main worry was flat spots on my brand new shoes

this is getting closer to reality unless another company comes thru with an offer I can't refuse.............I'm torn either way

thx again folks

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in