FJ losing power while in 4WD with rear diff locked... - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: FJ losing power while in 4WD with rear diff locked...

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post
Sounds like you're losing traction, not power. Are you sure 4wd is engaged? Your transfer case selector might be in 4hi or 4lo but the 4wd didn't kick in yet. Sorry if that's a silly question

Yeah...no, the 4WD was definitely locked in. There was snow flying from all 4 tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
amaclach previously said: View Post
Chains is the correct answer. Gravel may help too, but spinning the tires is seldom the right thing regardless of the terrain.

Yeah...I know...and yes, it did turn it to a sheet of ice. That's one of the things I HATE about automatics...you can't really feel when they break traction, nor can you control it very well. That said, there are times when keeping the tires spinning WILL get you from point A to point B when nothing else will.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
All 4WD FJs have a locking center. Actually the AT models don't have a center diff, just a part time transfer case, which is by definition locked when in 4WD. The MT, which is FT4WD has a T3 Torsen LSD in the center, which can also be locked in high range (the locked position is 4HL) Low range is always locked.

OP - Which tires are on the vehicle? Are they MTs, HT, AT or snow/winter tires? Do they have sipes?

Also - unless you've done the "rear locker on demand" hack, the rear locker only engages in 4L. @CabinCruiser reports the locker hack is pretty useful in snow.

These are 34" Toyo MT's and they are siped. There are less than 10,000 miles on them.

I appreciate the tip on the rear locker tip. Do you have any information on this hack??? Will it void the remainder of my factory warranty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 12:47 PM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
If feeling power loss, especially in the high ranges, check that your VSC & TRC are disabled (orange lights on the dash) . A single short push on the VSC/TRC button will disable TRC until you reach an indicated 30mph. Hold the button down for 3 secs when stationary and it will disable both at any speed until you restart the engine or cancel with a single push.
60mph indicated in low would not be possible due to hearing. I don't think I've ever done more than 30 in 6th..
Just for the record, mine is automatic trans and does not have this button. I had to hack the system to turn it off.

R.I.P.- Echo

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

It Is Easier To Walk On Hot Coals Then It Is To Walk On Egg Shells...-CC

Member of the month-October 2017
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 01:59 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
AAAC previously said: View Post
Yeah...no, the 4WD was definitely locked in. There was snow flying from all 4 tires.
Questionable method of checking 4wd though. My MT tires kick up mud/snow/rain from the front in 2wd or 4wd. Just something to note. But the 4wd/drivetrain light was on?

@amaclach doesn't VSC shut off once 4wd is engaged? Which leads me to believe if he's slipping because of VSC or whatever, his 4wd wasn't exactly engaged.

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said:
LEDLIYFJL: Live Every Day Like Its Your FJ's Last
Mad Maxxine Build - 2007 Fresco Silver Metallic
IG: madxmaxxine
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
CabinCruiser previously said: View Post
Just for the record, mine is automatic trans and does not have this button. I had to hack the system to turn it off.

Do you by chance know where I might be able to get some information on this hack??? Thank you!
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 02:33 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
We need to know how!

Young, dumb, and blunt - Chris
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 02:44 PM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
AAAC previously said: View Post
Do you by chance know where I might be able to get some information on this hack??? Thank you!
Quote:
chriskrossapplesauce previously said: View Post
We need to know how!
There are 3 ways to do it:

All of this information is here in the forum if you look around a little. Use Google instead of the forum, type "FJ Cruiser Forum" + your subject matter. Hope this helps.
AAAC and chriskrossapplesauce like this.

R.I.P.- Echo

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

It Is Easier To Walk On Hot Coals Then It Is To Walk On Egg Shells...-CC

Member of the month-October 2017
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 04:54 PM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2945 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Quote:
If feeling power loss, especially in the high ranges, check that your VSC & TRC are disabled (orange lights on the dash) . A single short push on the VSC/TRC button will disable TRC until you reach an indicated 30mph. Hold the button down for 3 secs when stationary and it will disable both at any speed until you restart the engine or cancel with a single push.
60mph indicated in low would not be possible due to hearing. I don't think I've ever done more than 30 in 6th..
I think it's on all except some of the early ones? Anyway I don't use the factory switch anymore since I did the ABS hack switch which disables all the nannies instantly ( but still allows ATRAC). Next stop is the rear locker on demand hack, but I might put a dependence on the nannies off switch to be on for it to activate at any speed...
CabinCruiser likes this.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage

So i got stuck a couple nights ago with a friend on this muddy trail and something like this happened to me. I felt like i had my pedal to the metal but I wasn't even attempting to move. I switched off the A-trac and sure enough i was able to fling some mud. I'm not 100% sure how a-trac works but i do know it "senses" slippage on one tire or another and removes power from that tire and transfers to the other. Usually these types of systems only effect the abs but this seemed to have control over the power to engine possibly transmission as well (ecm im assuming).

If you dont have a-trac, try switching off the Traction control by holding the button for 5 secs until the light pops on your dash before going into 4-lo.

Last edited by FJDooM; 02-07-2017 at 09:24 PM. Reason: clarification.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in