Wow, a bit jealous of you newer gen FJs - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Wow, a bit jealous of you newer gen FJs

Make no mistake. I absolutely love hopping in my '07 and taking it everywhere. When I got the car it was 118k on the clock and 10 years old, the suspension felt tired. Now 10k miles in, I was working on replacing some of the bushings and arms. What a difference night and day. I imagine the '12+ feel so proper! Ever since I've been giving new life to the suspension, the car has been such a blast to drive harder. Any of you older gen FJs feeling the car's age? Have you decided to wait for it to fall apart before replacing? Also my bushings are intact but showing signs of surface cracks. Maybe there's some compromise in road manners but if you drive an older gen FJ, consider replacing them even if they look okay. Age and wear and tear may be catching up!
OBXCRUZR, debFJVT and Loganbeere like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 07:12 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Wow, a bit jealous of you newer gen FJs

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post
Make no mistake. I absolutely love hopping in my '07 and taking it everywhere. When I got the car it was 118k on the clock and 10 years old, the suspension felt tired. Now 10k miles in, I was working on replacing some of the bushings and arms. What a difference night and day. I imagine the '12+ feel so proper! Ever since I've been giving new life to the suspension, the car has been such a blast to drive harder. Any of you older gen FJs feeling the car's age? Have you decided to wait for it to fall apart before replacing? Also my bushings are intact but showing signs of surface cracks. Maybe there's some compromise in road manners but if you drive an older gen FJ, consider replacing them even if they look okay. Age and wear and tear may be catching up!
I think it's the kings
jamesepoop likes this.

2013 Iceberg AT 4x4 | Ghost FJ Build | Instagram
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

@Loganbeere I'm talking about the bushings. After changing panhard, i feel less lateral uneasiness in turns. I don't think kings are miracles in a coilover... Or are they...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 07:39 AM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
@Loganbeere I'm talking about the bushings. After changing panhard, i feel less lateral uneasiness in turns. I don't think kings are miracles in a coilover... Or are they...

Just kidding with you but they say kings ride like a Cadillac. The only FJ I test drove is the one I bought, a 2013. Don't have anything to compare to.
jamesepoop likes this.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Loganbeere previously said: View Post
Just kidding with you but they say kings ride like a Cadillac. The only FJ I test drove is the one I bought, a 2013. Don't have anything to compare to.
Now that's commitment! Married to the first FJ you test drove :
debFJVT likes this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:25 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage

No disrespect to the newer FJ owners, but I prefer my 08. I drove 3 FJ's, one was a brick red 08 with 173,000 miles, a green 2012, and then my Titanium 08, and I preferred the 2008's due to the fact that the older 1GR-FE 4.0 (2007 - 09) loves to cruise at low RPMs, right in the sweet spot, whereas the 2010+ dual VVT-i makes more power, but up further in the RPM band, where trucks like these don't live.

Also, the oil filter being accessible on the top, and availability of the supercharger make this the better platform in my eyes for the DIY folks.

Again, no disrespect to all the newer FJ folks, I love all FJ's, I am just very fond of my 08 over the rest.

I know there were many other upgrades for the 2010+, stronger diff, etc., but I would not trade my 08 for anything. I will say it only now crested 51K miles, so there's that...
BOBTAILFJ, USA4X4, debFJVT and 3 others like this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:32 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
jcl78 previously said: View Post
I know there were many other upgrades for the 2010+, stronger diff, etc., but I would not trade my 08 for anything.
I agree. Most of the 2010+ upgrades can be retrofitted to the earlier models too. While retaining the ability to do the big one (supercharger) like you said.

'07 Voodoo 4x4 AT
The Big Blue Build thread
Northeast Overland
T.R.E.A.D. Lightly!
KC1JJY

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:44 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 2256 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Now that's commitment! Married to the first FJ you test drove :
Same here! Instant insanity -
BOBTAILFJ and jamesepoop like this.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:55 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 2256 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
That's actually a really good tip. I think the panhard bushings will soon be the only OE ones left on my rig, and replacing those bushings makes good sense...also cheaper than replacing the whole bar. And I'm sure the Kings have a little something to do with your Rolls Ride

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:05 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
jcl78 previously said: View Post
No disrespect to the newer FJ owners, but I prefer my 08. I drove 3 FJ's, one was a brick red 08 with 173,000 miles, a green 2012, and then my Titanium 08, and I preferred the 2008's due to the fact that the older 1GR-FE 4.0 (2007 - 09) loves to cruise at low RPMs, right in the sweet spot, whereas the 2010+ dual VVT-i makes more power, but up further in the RPM band, where trucks like these don't live.

Also, the oil filter being accessible on the top, and availability of the supercharger make this the better platform in my eyes for the DIY folks.

Again, no disrespect to all the newer FJ folks, I love all FJ's, I am just very fond of my 08 over the rest.

I know there were many other upgrades for the 2010+, stronger diff, etc., but I would not trade my 08 for anything. I will say it only now crested 51K miles, so there's that...

I'm jealous of you guys with the oil filter under the hood. The new cartridge is messy to change. Always get oil dripping down my arm and elbow. The engine bay also has lots of space compared to a 2013.
jamesepoop likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in