What did you buy today (FJ related items)? - Page 154 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

6590Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1531 of 2344 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 09:43 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Garage
Re: What did you buy today (FJ related items)?

Quote:
FJFool previously said: View Post
So this is pretty much exactly the response I got from the much-less-friend folk in the FJ Cruiser Nation Facebook group. It amazed me how after so many years of hearing how amazing K&Ns were, the moment I buy and install one, I learn the opposite. I'm surprised I never stumbled upon the topic here, though I'm sure it's been discussed.

Fortunately, I never even fired up the truck after putting it in. I've wrapped it back up, put in the box, and plan to exchange it for a stock one this afternoon.

Lesson learned! Hopefully it won't cost me anything more than time and a little humility.
I run a K&N in every vehicle I own. I currently have 260k on my Tacoma and it has had a K&N in it its whole life. If they were as bad as everyone says, they would be out of business. For every article you find online claiming K&N is bad, you can always find one that rebuts it.

Like Abraham Lincoln said, "You cant believe everything you read on the internet"

I have heard on here not to run Iridium plugs in the 07 FJ. I did it anyway and it runs great. I say put the K&N in and judge for yourself. I have never seen any dirt get beyond the filter in my FJ, and I like the fact that I never have to buy another filter again.
Thorn661 and FJFool like this.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin
"You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something sometime in your life." - Napoleon
"Quotes found on the internet are rarely correct." - George Washington

Last edited by Irving Zisman; 02-22-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 2344 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 09:50 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)

Sorry to hear that. But what I've seen is that the people that bought in to the hype about product ABC want it to be a good thing. Products that advertise better performance or mileage or whatever will tell us how they "could feel the difference" the first time they drove it. True, replacing a worn out shock with a new one would feel better the first time. But remember the basic rule, don't believe the salesman. Or should that be Salesperson?

Thorn661, FJFool, Lee44 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by rotorhed1; 02-22-2019 at 09:53 AM.
post #1533 of 2344 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 10:26 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
So this is pretty much exactly the response I got from the much-less-friend folk in the FJ Cruiser Nation Facebook group. It amazed me how after so many years of hearing how amazing K&Ns were, the moment I buy and install one, I learn the opposite. I'm surprised I never stumbled upon the topic here, though I'm sure it's been discussed.

Fortunately, I never even fired up the truck after putting it in. I've wrapped it back up, put in the box, and plan to exchange it for a stock one this afternoon.

Lesson learned! Hopefully it won't cost me anything more than time and a little humility.
Same here, I was all hot to go. There is a post here with air filter test results that's eye opening. I can't remember who posted it or which thread it is in.

It didn't just cover K&N and OEM filters, was a professional test, if that is the right word

Maybe someone can post a link or the article ??

FJFool likes this.

Jade -- 2013 Army Green AT Crawl -- US Offroad Winch Mount / Warn 10K synthetic -- BMC -- Light Racing Upper Control Arms -- Bilstein 6112 / OME rear springs / Bilstein 5100 -- Metal-Tech Red Eye Rear Bumper -- URD Stainless Exhaust -- Cooper STT Pro LT285/70R17 E / Factory Alloys -- Smittybilt Nerf Bars -- Diode Dynamics / Light Bar / HID / LEDS -- Springtail Solutions Side Rack -- Ellis Precision - Goodies -- Cobra 75 WX ST / Bandi / 3' Firefly -- Front Runner Storage Drawer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1534 of 2344 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 10:46 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Like Abraham Lincoln said, "You cant believe everything you read on the internet"
LOL, thanks for this. I have seen a few other rebuttals like this one. I'd love to find a legitimate side-by-side comparison.
Irving Zisman likes this.

óMIKE

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has caused all the damage to my FJ.
~ Robert Frost

42" Light Bar | Warrior Products Roof Rack | N-Fab RSP Bumper | ARB Skids | 4.0L V6 AT | ToyTec BOSS 2.0 Coilovers | Sway Bar Relocate | Toytec Superflex Heavy Duty Rear Coils | Toytec BOSS Rear Shocks | SPC Adjustable UCAs | Toytec Rear Aluminum 2" Bump Stop Kit | 265/70R/17 Toyo ATs x5 | 2" Wheel Spacers | Rad Rubber Designs Engine Splash Guards | Hi-Lift Extreme Jack
post #1535 of 2344 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 10:54 AM
Forum Master

Garage

Quote:
LOL, thanks for this. I have seen a few other rebuttals like this one. I'd love to find a legitimate side-by-side comparison.
That will be hard to find. One of the most popular studies out there was sponsored by AC Delco, so of course the AC Delco filter was better than all the other filters on the market. If you go to K&N's site, they will have a study "proving" that they are the best filters with "scientific" data to back it up. Its all in the eye of the beholder if you ask me. I have used K&N for over 20 years and have had no issues, therefore I will continue using them despite all the negative press they get.
FJFool likes this.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin
"You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something sometime in your life." - Napoleon

post #1536 of 2344 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 11:00 AM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7039 Post(s)
Garage
@Lee44 I think Bar3K is one of the ones who posted the air filter test comparisons.

I ran a K&N in my 1990 Toyota pickup and 4RUNNER both. I bought the truck new in February of that year and when a filter was finally available I installed one. I had close to 20K miles and about 7-8 months on the truck then. I drove in Moab as a tail gunner mostly during the Easter Safari for seven years and the filter was always full of red dust when I got home. The air box was a mess on the incoming side, but behind the filter it was clean to the eye and to a rag. I owned that truck for twenty years and just shy of 500K miles on the same engine and it was still running great. I got rid of it because I couldn't drive a standard anymore with my back problems. Just my experience with the K&N filter. I also ran one for a short time in my FJ until I just couldn't reach inside the engine compartment to do things anymore.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031
post #1537 of 2344 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 11:32 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
BIGGUY previously said: View Post
@Lee44 I think Bar3K is one of the ones who posted the air filter test comparisons.

I ran a K&N in my 1990 Toyota pickup and 4RUNNER both. I bought the truck new in February of that year and when a filter was finally available I installed one. I had close to 20K miles and about 7-8 months on the truck then. I drove in Moab as a tail gunner mostly during the Easter Safari for seven years and the filter was always full of red dust when I got home. The air box was a mess on the incoming side, but behind the filter it was clean to the eye and to a rag. I owned that truck for twenty years and just shy of 500K miles on the same engine and it was still running great. I got rid of it because I couldn't drive a standard anymore with my back problems. Just my experience with the K&N filter. I also ran one for a short time in my FJ until I just couldn't reach inside the engine compartment to do things anymore.
This is good to hear. If the place I bought the K&N refuses to do an exchange, I won't feel so bad about being stuck with it.
Lee44 likes this.

óMIKE

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has caused all the damage to my FJ.
~ Robert Frost

42" Light Bar | Warrior Products Roof Rack | N-Fab RSP Bumper | ARB Skids | 4.0L V6 AT | ToyTec BOSS 2.0 Coilovers | Sway Bar Relocate | Toytec Superflex Heavy Duty Rear Coils | Toytec BOSS Rear Shocks | SPC Adjustable UCAs | Toytec Rear Aluminum 2" Bump Stop Kit | 265/70R/17 Toyo ATs x5 | 2" Wheel Spacers | Rad Rubber Designs Engine Splash Guards | Hi-Lift Extreme Jack
post #1538 of 2344 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 11:43 AM
Forum Master

Garage

Quote:
This is good to hear. If the place I bought the K&N refuses to do an exchange, I won't feel so bad about being stuck with it.
Keep it, run it for a while, and if you have a negative experience with it, you can always clean it and sell it. Just my $0.02
FJFool and jamesepoop like this.

post #1539 of 2344 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 01:31 PM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Irving Zisman previously said: View Post
That will be hard to find. One of the most popular studies out there was sponsored by AC Delco, so of course the AC Delco filter was better than all the other filters on the market. If you go to K&N's site, they will have a study "proving" that they are the best filters with "scientific" data to back it up. Its all in the eye of the beholder if you ask me. I have used K&N for over 20 years and have had no issues, therefore I will continue using them despite all the negative press they get.
I'm with ya. I've been running K&N since before they made them for cars. Never had any issues on our MotoX or SuperX bikes. I still have a few on vehicles including 'Lil Blue, the '94 Yota that I beat around in. I'll keep using them until they quit doing their job.
Thorn661, FJFool and Irving Zisman like this.

R.I.P.- Echo

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

It Is Easier To Walk On Hot Coals Then It Is To Walk On Egg Shells...-CC

Member of the month-October 2017
post #1540 of 2344 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 10:41 PM
Forum Beer Miester

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2063 Post(s)
Garage

I’ve run K&N on everything I’ve owned since the 90’s and I love the filtration. The only problem I have with kit for the FJ’s CAI is the K&N kit just isn’t all that functional in that regard but I would totally run a K&N filter in the stock location over OEM. In short I love the filters but the kits not so much.
Irving Zisman and jamesepoop like this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Tags
fj cruiser , sahara going

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in