What did you buy today (FJ related items)? - Page 212 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

6650Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2111 of 2371 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Re: What did you buy today (FJ related items)?

Quote:
DirtyRicky previously said: View Post
That's currently what I'm installing as I write this. Tips. Lower ball joint does not need to be removed.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
How long has the install taken so far? I'm curious how long I should expect it to take. I'm planning to meet up with another forum member who's done the install for some help.

2011 Iceberg AT 4x4. Bought at 35k miles. Rear locker, ATRAC, Warrior Rack, Roofnest RTT, LED's, Toytec Boss Ultimate 3" lift with 2.5" coilovers, and lots more in the works.
Scout's home on wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2112 of 2371 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Quote:
SctWgn previously said: View Post
How long has the install taken so far? I'm curious how long I should expect it to take. I'm planning to meet up with another forum member who's done the install for some help.
I probably started around 530ish. And I'm probably bout 20 min from being done. Except for the dif drop. So 7.5 hr. I've never done this. I'm doing it alone, I'm also not rushing. It's also dark and I'm doing this in the back yard. I am mechanically inclined. Dont expect instructions to come with bit its pretty straightforward. I'm bout to throw the rear tires back on now and take it to get alignment tomorrow morning.

debFJVT and Lee44 like this.
post #2113 of 2371 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Well, there goes my paycheck. I guess I can give you guys a hint at what's coming...
What springs you get. 700 up front for me and the HD in the rear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2114 of 2371 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
What springs you get. 700 up front for me and the HD in the rear.

I called in and ordered the Boss kit, but with the upgraded 2.5 coils that come on the Boss performance kit. It will basically be the performance kit, just without the rear reservoirs because I didn't feel that was necessary, or worth the money for my use. The 2.5's are rated at 650 pounds, which should be about right since I have the additional roof rack and RTT weight constantly, and I plan to get a metaltech tube bumper at some point. It's not a lot of weight difference up front, but with the added constant load, I figured that would still probably be appropriate.
Rear I just went with the superflex coils and standard boss rear shocks.
FJou... and Firemedic831 like this.

2011 Iceberg AT 4x4. Bought at 35k miles. Rear locker, ATRAC, Warrior Rack, Roofnest RTT, LED's, Toytec Boss Ultimate 3" lift with 2.5" coilovers, and lots more in the works.
Scout's home on wheels
post #2115 of 2371 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I called in and ordered the Boss kit, but with the upgraded 2.5 coils that come on the Boss performance kit. It will basically be the performance kit, just without the rear reservoirs because I didn't feel that was necessary, or worth the money for my use. The 2.5's are rated at 650 pounds, which should be about right since I have the additional roof rack and RTT weight constantly, and I plan to get a metaltech tube bumper at some point. It's not a lot of weight difference up front, but with the added constant load, I figured that would still probably be appropriate.

Rear I just went with the superflex coils and standard boss rear shocks.
Yea I plan for another roof rack and rtt. Also the road armor titan 2 bumper and winch.

post #2116 of 2371 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Yea I plan for another roof rack and rtt. Also the road armor titan 2 bumper and winch.

I would love to get a rear bumper with swingout, but I don't think that's ever going to happen. I just don't think I can justify the expense, and I've never really had the need for it. But they look sexy as hell! For the front, I've never been a fan of the big boxy bumpers, like the ARB. Nothing against them, they're beefy and super tough, but the aesthetics just don't click for me. The metal tech tube front is probably my favorite I've found, although I do like the demello's too. They're just not worth the extra money to me.
I do plan to install a winch when I finally get a new bumper, but I think I'm going to prioritize sliders and skids first. I've been trying to decide between knocking those out, or the bumper, but I think the under body protection is probably the smarter choice, even if it isn't as exciting.
Metaltech, if you're reading this (you're not), I'll come to you if you'll cut me a screaming deal on that bumper
CRFjockey likes this.

Scout's home on wheels
post #2117 of 2371 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I would love to get a rear bumper with swingout, but I don't think that's ever going to happen. I just don't think I can justify the expense, and I've never really had the need for it. But they look sexy as hell! For the front, I've never been a fan of the big boxy bumpers, like the ARB. Nothing against them, they're beefy and super tough, but the aesthetics just don't click for me. The metal tech tube front is probably my favorite I've found, although I do like the demello's too. They're just not worth the extra money to me.

I do plan to install a winch when I finally get a new bumper, but I think I'm going to prioritize sliders and skids first. I've been trying to decide between knocking those out, or the bumper, but I think the under body protection is probably the smarter choice, even if it isn't as exciting.

Metaltech, if you're reading this (you're not), I'll come to you if you'll cut me a screaming deal on that bumper
Yea I'll end up with a swing out eventually. I wonder if swing outs are compatible with the ladder in the rear.
For now I'll probably focus on sliders and snorkel. Dual battery kit and washer tank relocation. Will also probably end up with that aux fuel tank too

post #2118 of 2371 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:29 PM

I also installed front swaybar quick disconnect, and extended rear swaybar links.

debFJVT and Lee44 like this.
post #2119 of 2371 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Yea I'll end up with a swing out eventually. I wonder if swing outs are compatible with the ladder in the rear.
For now I'll probably focus on sliders and snorkel. Dual battery kit and washer tank relocation. Will also probably end up with that aux fuel tank too

Damn, you're making some serious moves on that thing! Can't wait to see updates as the build progresses!

Quote:
I also installed front swaybar quick disconnect, and extended rear swaybar links.

So, being an offroad noob, how does the quick disconnect work, and what is the advantage? Just more flex and articulation while off camber? Any risks or concerns with the swaybar disconnected?

Scout's home on wheels
post #2120 of 2371 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:45 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 2144 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Damn, you're making some serious moves on that thing! Can't wait to see updates as the build progresses!

So, being an offroad noob, how does the quick disconnect work, and what is the advantage? Just more flex and articulation while off camber? Any risks or concerns with the swaybar disconnected?
Iíve run disconnects for years and feel they make a big difference offroad - better articulation. Iíve also sliced a few cv axle boots when the nut on the swaybar wiggled loose, so use red locktite and check them often!
bazross, Thorn661 and Firemedic831 like this.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Tags
fj cruiser , sahara going

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in