What did you buy today (FJ related items)? - Page 217 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

6432Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2161 of 2279 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:14 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Garage
Re: What did you buy today (FJ related items)?

I have a 60" Hi Lift Extreme jack that I kept on my roof rack. I recently removed my rear seats and built storage and a sleeping platform inside the FJ, and had the jack mounted inside. Sleeping in the back of the FJ was great, but I've come to realize there are times when I really do need the back seats so I have to redo everything again. I want to mount an awning on the passenger side and don't want to have the big, heavy 60" Hi Lift on the driver side roof to further accentuate the driver side lean, so I bought a 42" jack to go across the rear of the roof rack. While I was looking at recovery gear I also got an extra 15' tow strap and another soft shackle.
Thorn661, FJFool, Lee44 and 1 others like this.

2012 Army Green "The Mule"
My Build / My Adventures
My YouTube Channel: Chicken River Offroad
http://www.chickenriveroffroad.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2279 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage

Bought a 44" Plano Rifle box to use for storage on my roof rack. Amazon had them on sale for 64.99.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also bought a Estwing Paleo Pick which was $12 off the normal price.. Always wanted one. My dad has had one for years, they are compact, yet extremely tough pick axe type tool..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes I have an Amazon problem..
post #2163 of 2279 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:49 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
fidelityflip previously said: View Post
Bought a 44" Plano Rifle box to use for storage on my roof rack. Amazon had them on sale for 64.99.
I dig that rifle box. I've been wanting some lower profile storage for up top. I may go this route.

óMIKE

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has caused all the damage to my FJ.
~ Robert Frost

42" Light Bar | Warrior Products Roof Rack | N-Fab RSP Bumper | ARB Skids | 4.0L V6 AT | ToyTec BOSS 2.0 Coilovers | Sway Bar Relocate | Toytec Superflex Heavy Duty Rear Coils | Toytec BOSS Rear Shocks | SPC Adjustable UCAs | Toytec Rear Aluminum 2" Bump Stop Kit | 265/70R/17 Toyo ATs x5 | 2" Wheel Spacers | Rad Rubber Designs Engine Splash Guards | Hi-Lift Extreme Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2164 of 2279 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:34 AM
Forum Master

Garage

Quote:
crazysanman previously said: View Post
Last year around this time I wanted to upgrade my air compressor. Couldn't decide between an onboard system or a portable unit. Went portable so it could be used in my wife's 4Runner along with my FJ. Soon after spending a small fortune for a Viair 450P, the wife traded in her 4Runner and bought an Outback. Then a couple months after that, I left the compressor neatly packed in it's bag on the side of the road after airing up one afternoon.

I just bought the ARB single air compressor. I'll hard mount it above the wheel well in the rear on the driver side and never worry about airing up again.
Well, I got the compressor in the mail today. I bought it from one of those eBay vendors that sells everything imaginable. They sent me the portable ARB compressor instead of the on-board compressor. ARB says the two compressors are the same internally, but the portable one has a smaller manifold without the extra connections for lockers, it's not as rugged so it won't survive being mounted outside the vehicle, and it is rated at 0.1 CFM @29 PSI less than the on-board compressor. The portable compressor comes already attached to a nice generic mounting plate with ARB branding and the power switch and relay already connected and mounted to the plate. It also came with the inflation accessory kit, which includes the air hose, tire chuck, and some adapters for inflating other things. The portable one is smaller than the on-board model which is actually better for me since I'm mounting it in the cargo area of my FJ. The portable one sells for about $80 more than the on-board one. I'm going to keep this one instead of return it. The mounting plate was attached to the plastic tool box with four rivets that I drilled out to remove the compressor from the box. I'll mount it in the rear of the FJ, cut off the alligator clips in the power cables, and hard wire it. I have a Blue Sea fuse block that I'm going to mount in the jack compartment by the rear driver wheel well, so I'll just run the positive into that. I'll keep the power switch right where it is mounted to the mounting plate next to the compressor. No need to turn it on from the dash when I have to go to the rear to connect the air hose anyway. I just need to make sure the switch is protected so something doesn't bump into it and turn it on when I'm offroad or when I'm in camp at night digging through bags and bins in the back of the FJ.
FJou..., amaclach, FJFool and 1 others like this.

My Build / My Adventures
post #2165 of 2279 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:35 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Garage

@crazysanman ,
I mounted my ARB in the same location you are putting yours. For protection I mounted it inside a 5.56 ammo can with the can upside down (lid on the bottom) and mounted the compressor to the inside of the lid so I can take off the ammo can (cover) when air is required, or latch it closed for protection. I can't find the pic right now but check "My Garage" link, it's in Angry Orange.
crazysanman and FJou... like this.

"Mean Green" '10 Army green 4x4 AT ATRAC/rear locker. Demello 3 hoop w\BD sqd, Smittybilt M1 Gen2, PURE FJ sliders, EXPO-1 Wash Bottle, Ironman FCP-C's front, Boss 2.5 w/ TOYTEC 2.0 HD rear, SPC DOM LCA. 16" BF 285 KO2 E's on Method NV's.

"Angry Orange" '13 Magma 4x4 AT ATRAC/rear locker, CRAWL. Demello 3 hoop Evil Eye w\BD sqd, Smittybilt M1 Gen2, AP sliders, EXPO-1 Wash Bottle, Ironman FCP-C front, Boss 2.5 w/ TOYTEC 2.0 HD rear. SPC DOM LCA's, 17" BF 285 KO2 E's on Method Holes.
post #2166 of 2279 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:37 AM
Forum Master

Garage

Quote:
AMMO461 previously said: View Post
@crazysanman ,
I mounted my ARB in the same location you are putting yours. For protection I mounted it inside a 5.56 ammo can with the can upside down (lid on the bottom) and mounted the compressor to the inside of the lid so I can take off the ammo can (cover) when air is required, or latch it closed for protection. I can't find the pic right now but check "My Garage" link, it's in Angry Orange.
That's an awesome idea, thanks!

My Build / My Adventures
post #2167 of 2279 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:43 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Garage

@crazysanman ,
I ran the wires thru the base (lid) so the entire unit and wiring is protected. The best thing is that it's so stout, you can stack your gear or whatever on top of it without damaging it. Just remember to keep it accessible so you don't need to completely un pack the rear to uncover it when you need it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Can closed.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	1083174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compressor can.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	1083176  
crazysanman, FJou... and Lee44 like this.

"Mean Green" '10 Army green 4x4 AT ATRAC/rear locker. Demello 3 hoop w\BD sqd, Smittybilt M1 Gen2, PURE FJ sliders, EXPO-1 Wash Bottle, Ironman FCP-C's front, Boss 2.5 w/ TOYTEC 2.0 HD rear, SPC DOM LCA. 16" BF 285 KO2 E's on Method NV's.

"Angry Orange" '13 Magma 4x4 AT ATRAC/rear locker, CRAWL. Demello 3 hoop Evil Eye w\BD sqd, Smittybilt M1 Gen2, AP sliders, EXPO-1 Wash Bottle, Ironman FCP-C front, Boss 2.5 w/ TOYTEC 2.0 HD rear. SPC DOM LCA's, 17" BF 285 KO2 E's on Method Holes.

Last edited by AMMO461; 06-20-2019 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Added pics
post #2168 of 2279 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:41 AM
Forum Master

Garage

Quote:
AMMO461 previously said: View Post
@crazysanman ,
I ran the wires thru the base (lid) so the entire unit and wiring is protected. The best thing is that it's so stout, you can stack your gear or whatever on top of it without damaging it. Just remember to keep it accessible so you don't need to completely un pack the rear to uncover it when you need it.
I like it! My compressor though is only as high as the blue housing. It's fairly wide, and I am not sure it would fit on the lid of a 50 cal ammo can. I'm starting to think an old cash box might work - the local thrift store always seems to have them for a dollar or two.

I'm also thinking I might make a big panel there with a few USB and 12V outlets mounted on it and the compressor mounted vertical next to the outlets. I really like your mounting location and it really got me thinking of new possibilities.
AMMO461 likes this.

My Build / My Adventures
post #2169 of 2279 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I finally installed the 1/4" drivers side front coil spring spacer (shown with gas tank filled). They work!!! Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4643.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	747.3 KB
ID:	1083238   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4638.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	1083240  
ZerosFJ, FJou..., Bad Wolf and 1 others like this.

Pepe Le Pew: Allterrain Model, Wrangler Ultraterrains, Magnaflow, Bilstein 5100s, Pre-cleaner, FJ off road lights, optional 16" wheels
post #2170 of 2279 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:56 PM
Forum Master

Garage

Ordered the ARB 2000x2500 awning and the screen/wall tent/house thing.
Bad Wolf, Lee44 and iLuveKetchup like this.

My Build / My Adventures

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Tags
fj cruiser , sahara going

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in