Backcountry camping - idiots setup right next to you - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 09:46 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Re: Backcountry camping - idiots setup right next to you

if it is that upsetting, then one other tactic, if you've missed the opportunity to ask them to move on when they first got there, and they show no signs of leaving and it is driving you crazy, is to move on yourself and find another place and let it go ("I came here to relax, not to work myself up about something that someone else did/is doing").

When I first started going to Japan (around 20 or 30 years ago) westerners were pretty uncommon out in the smaller cities and the people I worked with said, "everyone is so unfriendly, they stare and stare". Which was strange for me to hear because whenever I found someone looking at me I smiled and waved and they went crazy and were so friendly. It turned out they treated you like you were Mick Jagger or Charlize Theron, but would not approach until given the opening.

I bring this up only to add to what some of the others had posted above, sometimes the most unexpectedly enjoyable parts of a trip can be the people that you meet quite by accident along the way, but it definitely does require being in the mindset to be open to it and to enjoy it when it does.

I know, it sounds like saying, "oh, just don't let them bother you", which is, of course, useless advice parents give to bullied kids, and that is not they way I mean it.

I am sorry that it was so upsetting that it cut your trip short.

Norm "going with the flow isn't easy, but can be rewarding, sometimes" Kerr
amaclach, cliffy and Psilocyborg like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Quote:
hiflyerx previously said: View Post
I try to be a pretty kind person in life for what it's worth. Just lots of stress with life right now

I'm not kidding when I say they setup 20 feet from us

Ended up coming home a day early as it was too much for my nerves

Thinking of bringing a set of Klipsch Heresy's I have kicking around for next time. And putting Abba / Japanese opera on repeat until they get the hint next time.

I do suck at approaching people in situations like this so more constructive advice is heavily welcomed.
Check out the book crucial conversations. It's a quick read and I have found it helps me in situations such as this.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Dan U previously said: View Post
Check out the book crucial conversations. It's a quick read and I have found it helps me in situations such as this.
Huge thanks -will do
Dan U likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 12:56 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Garage

@norm356 I know what you mean I was overseas a good bit in my old life. Not every person is as foreigner hating as were lead to believe. There are more curious and good people than bad. Many times just as "city folk" come to the backwoods to get away from people, "backwoods people" enjoying a different neck of the outdoors don't mind running into new people. I live in the country and love the peace and quiet that's our day to day. Sometimes it's nice to meet new people enjoying the same great outdoors.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 03:49 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)

Quote:
I have indeed met many nice people backcountry

However we just did not want to see, hear, be around people at all for a few days

I should have approached them as soon as they parked and that's my mistake. Just not always sure how to broach the subject

Other than packing some tannerite for next time . They did complain loudly about the noise my .270 was making but didn't get the hint.
Yep, didn't pull the trigger quick enough on that one.

Steve
TLCA 14294
KJ6DAA

http://1971fj40.blogspot.com/

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true."
Demosthenes c.383-322 BC
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 04:34 AM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2819 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

I snore loudly. I have an app on my phone that records my snoring and grades it.
I score in a range of loud - very loud - epic, and it changes its attributes throughout the night, and it stops and starts. It's much worse when I've been drinking.
I can send you a recording if you like.
thane, Bar3K and cliffy like this.

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Looking for some advise. Was back country camping to get away from people. In a 150,000+ hectare public land use zone

All is good for a couple nights then some asshats decide to setup not 20' from us!? Seriously!?

How does one discourage such behaviour, in an appropriate fashion? Dealing with rednecks here, so their mentality is usually quite limited.
I have an offroad trailer so have the luxury of being able to take a fair bit of gear with me. One of the extra pieces of gear I always take with me is a second tent. The places I go are pretty remote, but if I am somewhere where there is room for another camper to fit in, that's when I setup the second tent and preemptively make it difficult or impossible for another group to fit in beside us.

I do this primarily because despite trying to train her to be nice my dog is just not good with strangers and I really don't want to see someone get bitten, and me possibly get sued.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

What about a sign:

Out here for Quiet and Solitude
But happy to help if you need anything - just ask

How does that sound?
Robot likes this.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
PGray previously said: View Post
I have an offroad trailer so have the luxury of being able to take a fair bit of gear with me. One of the extra pieces of gear I always take with me is a second tent. The places I go are pretty remote, but if I am somewhere where there is room for another camper to fit in, that's when I setup the second tent and preemptively make it difficult or impossible for another group to fit in beside us.

I do this primarily because despite trying to train her to be nice my dog is just not good with strangers and I really don't want to see someone get bitten, and me possibly get sued.

I have thought of this - pickup a cheapie popup and stake out a bit of an area.

I'm not a greedy person - far from it. But when one just wants peace and solitude...
PGray likes this.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)

Cheers

Last edited by 10851; 06-01-2017 at 08:09 AM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in