About to buy a Jeep Wrangler or a FJ cruiser. - Page 4 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: About to buy a Jeep Wrangler or a FJ cruiser.

I've been dabbling in 4wd for thirty-plus years. One day it occurred to me that the big knobby tires were a waste in so many ways, since I spent more than 99% of the time on the highway. I learned to accept that and set-up the machine for highway comfort and off-road capable.

This approach has served me well so far. My FJ 6mt is replacing a Miata, and doing a fine job of it. The FJ with it's AWD launches from a stop like nothing else I've driven. Cruises at 80+ mph like a dream, and gobbles up bumps on and off road like nothing else. The FJ does well on corners too. I'm trying to keep the CG low and unsprung weight to a minimum. A Magnuson supercharger may be in my future too.

I say this because The Wrangler will never cruise at 80+mph smoothly and quietly. It's built upon the same technology that my old '48 military jeep was. It's better offroad than on. If that's what you're looking for, enjoy!
ArupFJ likes this.

2008 MT6 140k miles stock

Last edited by suspiciousmind; 06-23-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
ChacoAndy previously said: View Post
Guys... Guys! He hasn't been back since posting the first message, which means only one thing: He bought a Jeep.
You are probably right but there are countless people searching questions like this without joining the forums so we may still have helped more people than you think. If you'd like to post your opinion between FJ & Wrangler post away.

2014 FJ TTUE Auto Heritage Blue
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Let's review.....

The OP drives an SLK 350 AMG Mercedes and makes it very clear that he's in the Medical field. Nobody really cares and neither one pertains to his car buying decision.

All the things he's looking at (as far as deciding factors) in his list of reasons to buy an FJ or a Jeep are purely fluff and flash. There isn't a single mention of quality, durability or capability.

I'm going with either a troll or some douche who's only concerns and or requirements for purchasing an automobile is/are the "LOOK AT ME" factor.

YMMV RON
moodywizard and TenMileHunter like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 11:03 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)

temper, temper, Ron

wheeling is supposed to make us all relaxed and dude like

post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 03:07 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 97 Post(s)

Quote:
GSRON previously said: View Post
Let's review.....

The OP drives an SLK 350 AMG Mercedes and makes it very clear that he's in the Medical field. Nobody really cares and neither one pertains to his car buying decision.

All the things he's looking at (as far as deciding factors) in his list of reasons to buy an FJ or a Jeep are purely fluff and flash. There isn't a single mention of quality, durability or capability.

I'm going with either a troll or some douche who's only concerns and or requirements for purchasing an automobile is/are the "LOOK AT ME" factor.

YMMV RON
Just FYI...21 and in the medical field=EMT or some sort of entry level technician

2010 FJC 4X4 AT, K&N air filter, 305/70/17 MT/Rs or Duratracs, NestahEdition Firestik II antenna, AllPro rock sliders, TRS HID headlights, Stebel Nautilus marine, Icon Stage 5, Total Chaos UCAs, ExpeditionOne WyoOtto bumper with Warn Zeon 10S and PIAA 510 Xtreme, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers, BMC, Ellis Precision stuff, AllPro spindle gussets, FJToyman shock skids, Boztec rear diff skid, Infinity speakers w rattle trap, Budbilt skids
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 04:11 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:

Quote:
dreamgiver previously said: View Post
Just FYI...21 and in the medical field=EMT or some sort of entry level technician
The 21 year old thing probably explains the fluff and flash part. Over-under on the number of times he's said "bro" today is 14.

Quote:
Benz didn't make an SLK 350 AMG in '05, the SLK AMG was a 55. The SLK 350 (no AMG) sells in the $9-12K range, but any of us used to Japanese reliability shouldn't go anywhere near one of these. MB's are legendary for massive depreciation and massive repair bills, the average SLK 350 has dropped 80% of its value in 12 years.

But since the root post is 4 months old and the guy never posted again, advising him to both buy the FJ and a Honda S2000 -- my own '06 bought in '12 and sold in '17 made me money, compared to his car that is undoubtedly a bigger hit with the ladies...when it's running -- would probably be pointless.

So root poster, if you're out there anywhere: if you like how big of a hassle it is to keep your Benz running, buy the Jeep for more of the same.
osborne white and Joabmc like this.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in