Help, I've got road salt on my FJ :( - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 06:32 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2217 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Help, I've got road salt on my FJ :(

I buy fluid film by the gallon on eBay and use extension hoses for inside the frame/inside of my bumper. I recently learned a professional undercoating company likes to overspray the fluid film with rubberized undercarriage spray, like a Rustoleum type thing. Will get an update from m son who just gave them a try.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 06:35 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 2217 Post(s)
Garage

Also, as @alabamatacomaguy mentioned, Eastwood makes some really superior products, and the absolute best rust reformer and rust encapsulating spray I've ever used. Well worth the price.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 06:57 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)

i keep mine out of a car wash via the brushes etc will leave swirl marks in the paint big no no if its real bad take it to a self serve car wash and spray the heck out of it and underneath hand wash and rinse ...or handwash at home (i recommed Car Brite product) then in the spring go to Ziebart and get it undercoated

Ziebart | Home

http://www.carbrite.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Thanks all, just waiting for the snow to stop and the roads to dry up. Figured it doesn't make too much sense to go to the car wash to wash off the salt then drive back home on wet salt covered roads. It's supposed to be above freezing this weekend, maybe the car washes will be opening back up.
tsfarling and Joabmc like this.

2008 Sandstorm 4X4 auto, OF, CQ, C7, RF, Tuffy Center Console, Trail Gear sliders

"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 02:43 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Garage

Good idea you dangus! For your health! Well, your cars health. LOL!

Quote:
MCcitrus_2 previously said: View Post
I'm thinking of combining one of these lawn fertilizer things:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cWBd3m8j34...00/sprayer.jpg

Filled with Desalt:
https://www.whitworths.com.au/desalt...alt-remover-2l

Using or making my own underbody sprayer out of PVC similar to this:
https://www.drbeasleys.com/wordpress...ng-300x198.jpg

Or get a cow:
Cow Licking Salt Block - YouTube

BRINGO!!

2014 Iceberg FJ, CRAWL Control, Rear Diff. Lock, ATRAC, Eezi Awn K9 Roof Rack, Hella Aux lights, Rear Chase Lights, TRD Ultimate Edition Suspension, TRD Pro 17" rims, BF GoodRich KO2 285/70/17, Eezi Awn 1400 Series 2 Roof Top Tent, National Luna Dual Battery Controller, Optima Yellowtop 34/78 Battery
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 07:00 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)

If you're retired, I'd suggest going somewhere that doesn't have snow/ice in the winter.
No snow, no road salt.

All fixed.
Teikas Dad likes this.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 07:14 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)

Quote:
bemoorenotless previously said: View Post
You can get a quart of POR-15 (seems like not a lot but you could probably do 3 FJs with that much). POR-15 is pretty messy and will stain your skin. It will NOT come off with anything. Trust me. Wear long sleeves and gloves. And get safety glasses and a respirator. You dont want to breath that **** in. It is really strong. I would get 3-4 cans of Fluid Film to properly coat the underbody. Get the extension wand too so you can get all inside the frame as well. I used 2 cans and I wish I had more. I just ordered 3 more cans on amazon....you can literally put it anywhere (except exhaust and exterior). Anything else is fair game (engine bay, under the doors/trunk). There are good videos on youtube for Fluid Film. And it smells like **** for like 3 days but it goes away.

It is a lot of work. Be prepared for a full day under the truck.
Thanks for the info. I have used POR before, so I know it is nasty stuff, but it's good that you mention it. I have a car trailer and a second car that justify the purchase of a quart. I know it won't be fun under there. I need to get to someone with a lift. I imagine that will make things much easier.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 03:41 PM
Banned

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

After my first post on here, I dug a bit deeper for salt removal solutions/products.

I found Salt-Away, CRC Salt Terminator, and Star-Brite Salt Off products (I'm sure there are more brands out there) all of which offer garden hose attachment mixers which mix the concentrate at the proper ratio. Salt-Away has two garden hose mixer sizes available 6oz. and 12oz. The others look like they are 6oz. mixers.

They all can be found on Amazon as I doubt it would be easy to find in a regular store unless you're near a marina with broats all around.

Salt-Away
Salt-Away's Product Family ...

CRC Salt Terminator:
Salt Terminator® Engine Flush, Cleaner & Corrosion Inhibitor, 1 Gal - SX128

Star-Brite Salt Off:
Salt Off
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
MCcitrus_2 previously said: View Post
After my first post on here, I dug a bit deeper for salt removal solutions/products.

I found Salt-Away, CRC Salt Terminator, and Star-Brite Salt Off products (I'm sure there are more brands out there) all of which offer garden hose attachment mixers which mix the concentrate at the proper ratio. Salt-Away has two garden hose mixer sizes available 6oz. and 12oz. The others look like they are 6oz. mixers.

They all can be found on Amazon as I doubt it would be easy to find in a regular store unless you're near a marina with broats all around.

Salt-Away
Salt-Away's Product Family ...

CRC Salt Terminator:
Salt Terminator® Engine Flush, Cleaner & Corrosion Inhibitor, 1 Gal - SX128

Star-Brite Salt Off:
Salt Off
I read the info on them. The CRC and Star-Brite products advertise that they include PTFE (Teflon) to help stop future salt from sticking. That's got me wondering if they would not be the product of choice if you want to undercoat with Fluid Film or an oil based undercoating. I don't know if the PTFE will prevent the undercoating from sticking. NAPA carries the CRC product - or at least they can get it. West Marine has their own brand name of the same stuff which also has PTFE (I think it's just repackaged CRC or Starbrite).

2008 Sandstorm 4X4 auto, OF, CQ, C7, RF, Tuffy Center Console, Trail Gear sliders

"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Deleted
Teikas Dad likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in