Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

How Many Miles Do You Have On Your FJ Today?

177K views 1K replies 544 participants last post by  Kaiju 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, here we are ten years from the first FJC's rolling out of dealership parking lots. I thought it would be cool to get a running count of how many miles people have on their FJC's. Let's see who reports the highest mileage! Who has the lowest on the oldest?

Along with your current mileage, include info about the health of your FJC. Have you done all of the recommended maintenance according to the schedule? Did you run into any unanticipated large ticket items? Are you clocked at high mileage and can't believe you are still using some factory part (be it the alternator, brakes, tail light bulbs, etc!)?

I personally am clocked just over 131,xxx on my 2007. I bought her two years ago with 106K. It needed brakes at that point, but had a new set of Toyo A/T II's, which I just swapped to Hankook Dynapro MT's, mainly because of performance concerns, not wear issues.

I flushed the trans. and had the fuel injectors cleaned last year when I did a full tune-up. Going to have the coolant flushed this spring. No rust/rot/decay aside from the expected Northeast road-salt surface frame rust, which I will knock off and POR paint this springs. Looks like all the factory electrical system components are running strong under the hood, and the suspension still feels great. I may add leveling struts to the front to gain that extra bit of ground clearance, though I recognize that they have the rake so it will sit level while under expedition-load in the back.

Here is a picture from yesterday, showing off her new boots. I plastidipped the mirrors, changed the grille from white to black, and used "Night Shades" lens cover paint to blacken the turns and tails.

I hope I have not started a thread that already exists, but I could not find it. SO... post your mileage!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have just over 24K on my 2012 Iceberg. Now that the road salt has been washed away by some spring rain, I will be driving it more.

Have not had any unexpected big ticket (or small ticket) items being required, other than some light mods (TRD 17" Sema rims, blackout parts and the ongoing All Pro Slider group buy).

Looking forward to exploring the west in it this summer (Look for a vacation thread sometime in July). :smile

#4 ·
Man I'm jealous of the low miles. What caused the tie-rod failure?

Reactions: algonaman
#5 ·
Mine turned 4 this past week and has 47,500 miles on it.

#6 ·
2014 here with 4700 miles. More miles on the beach than on the highway. Beach is only a few miles from the house. Bought it to be used as a piece of fishing equipment, much like a quality rod or reel. Traded in an 8 year old Jeep with 24K miles, so that tells you how much hwy driving it gets, LOL.

#7 ·
I sold a 2007 TRDSE in 2012 that I bought new in 2006. I sold it with 125K on it when I sold it in 2012.
Bought a RRTT in 2012, it has 60K on it now.
I have a 2014 TTUE with 27K on it.

Issues were as follows:

The 2007 had transmission switch out with a Toyota rebuild at 103K, wheel bearings at 83K, and the pressure switches for the 4 wheel drive shifter failed at about 110K.
The other 2 have had no issues to date........gm

#8 ·
I sold a 2007 TRDSE in 2012 that I bought new in 2006. I sold it with 125K on it when I sold it in 2012.
Bought a RRTT in 2012, it has 60K on it now.
I have a 2014 TTUE with 27K on it.

Issues were as follows:

The 2007 had transmission switch out with a Toyota rebuild at 103K, ball joints at 83K, and the pressure switches for the 4 wheel drive shifter failed at about 110K.
The other 2 have had no issues to date........gm
Wow lots of problems with the 2007. Are these types of issues common or did you have a one off?

#9 ·
Transmission shuttering is a common problem on the forum- a small shutter or hesitation between 2nd and third at 25MPH.
I misspoke on Ball joints, it was wheel bearings, sorry, but another documented failure on the forum.( i will correct with edit)
The pressure switches were corrosion from the chemicals that are being put on he roads for snow removal- one day the 4x4 stopped engaging.
I loved the truck- but it was a first year model.
The newer ones have been literally problem free.
That said, I have not gotten to the miles where problems begin.
I have taken the added precaution to change the Trans fluid at 50 K in lieu of the 100K as prescribed by Toyota.
Love these trucks!!.....gm

#10 ·
Sis in laws Toyota truck's transmission finally failed at about 300,000 unmaintained miles, so I reluctantly sold my early build 2007 with 110,000 miles for a song to her. Gotta keep the nieces and nephews safe. Only repair besides normal maintenance was an alternator and a $5 motor in the door actuator.

My 2012 only has 24k on it.

#11 ·
I bought my 09 about a year ago with just over 80K miles on it. I immediately replaced the brakes and all fluids. It now has just under 90K on it with no issues, except the constant enticement to mod it. I will be changing the spark plugs soon.

#13 ·
Just rolled past 38k miles, bought her in late October of 2012, daily driven dog hauler grocery getter, logging road bomber. I don't have a work commute so most my miles aren't necessity. Did my own first diy oil change at 35k, now it weeps a little under there even though everything is tight.

#17 ·
Mine just had it's 2nd birthday a few weeks ago and I'm sitting at just over 22K, but most of those miles are from a bunch of road trips. It's hard to say anything about the condition since I've installed so many upgrades in that period most of the parts have much fewer miles than that.

#18 ·
Got my 2011 brand new and just hit 107,000 miles on it. Still running strong :clap:

#21 ·
2013 with 54000 miles. Only issues have been that several times when I go wheeling for some strange reason I have to get an alignment done afterwards. I thinking it's the nut behind the steering wheel that has come loose. My wife agrees. 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser you just gotta lovem.

#22 ·
#23 ·
07. 51K miles when I picked it up May 2011. Now almost to 90K. No big problems yet. My LCAs are seized up as far as I know. Someday Ill cut them out.

#24 ·
2007 I'm about to hit 119,000 miles. Mostly highway though so not beat up. Brakes, fluids, shocks, tires, and pulleys are all that have been done. Oh and my first new windshield this past week. Drove it for 3 years with cracks and chips in it due to the huge replacement costs during the first few years. Picked it up in January of 2007 so its getting close to the decade mark.

#25 ·
2014, just over 19,000. No issues at all.

• Wow
Reactions: caver6
#26 · (Edited)
Early 2007 model (purchased in Oct 2006) - 145k miles. I'm working hard to catch up to my wife's 2000 4Runner with 235k on it, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon. I haven't had anything major happen to the vehicle and I figure that most of the more costly repairs are due to the way I drive.

I have replaced so far -
- Engine Knock sensor (that darn rat, the truck only had 800 miles)
- 2 windshields
- A couple of idler pulleys (replaced under warranty)
- Left front wheel bearing
- An alternator
- Two batteries (chalk these and the alternator up to a faulty power inverter)
- A water pump
- 2 sets of tires (currently running BFG AT KO)
- A set of shocks
- About a half dozen headlights
- A set of backup lights
- A rear bumper (special thanks to that teenager in a 4Runner)
- 3 sets of sparkplugs
- FJammer Head Unit (CD player stopped working and I had to disassemble it to get my discs out)

I'm due for -
- A new radiator (or a really good power washing)
- Another set of shocks and tires
- A new set of rims - the coating is flaking off of mine
- A couple of side mirror housings (thank you to those narrow northwest trails)
- A new front bumper (I swear I didn't see that log hiding in that mud puddle)
- Another drain and fill of the transmission.
- The marker lights in my mirrors
- Two sets of front brakes, one set of rears. I only did the second set of fronts in the last few weeks because my rotors were cooked; I still had plenty of pad left.

I generally follow Toyota's maintenance schedule, with a couple of notable items -
- Drain and fill of the trans instead of flushing it. After rebuilding a very expensive transmission in a 4Runner, and some advice from a reputable transmission shop, I don't flush any trans any more - I just drain and fill at about 1/3 the mileage recommended for the flush.
- The engine only gets Synthetic oil, usually every 5k miles.
- I only use premium gas and 95%+ of the time, I pay a bit extra to go to Shell or Chevron.

#28 ·
2010 with 44k miles. Other than "upgrades", I have replaced one windshield, one battery and tie-rod ends.

#29 ·
07 with 103k average 14 mpg but that's highway mileage running around 80-85 mph on the turnpike

It I kept the speed around 65-70 I would get a bit closer to 15 mpg

I'm running 33x12.50 mottos with a 3 inch light with light bars on the rack so I'm sure with the added wind resistance it Knocks the mileage down

#30 ·
2014 here - it's 3 months short of it's 2nd birthday & it'll have a healthy 60,000 km on the clock then (51k now).
No major issues - just a battery failed on me earlier this week but that's normal around here - the heat & offroad driving kills them pretty quickly.
No mechanical faults whatsoever.
I've stuck with the dealer service intervals & it is serviced by the dealer every 10,000 Km.