Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Another Gerry Can carrier

6K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  darkhorse13 
#1 ·
Reactions: darkhorse13
#3 ·
Ha- [emoji106]thats how i stumbled on them and ordered a bracket to fit front seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 · (Edited)
@2.ooohhh and @Stephen Stock

Not completely true regarding the back window :) ... it depends on what setup of can holder you run. If you run the one that refinedcycle shows on the website then there is no room to open. If you run something different like an AT can holder (in my pic) you can open the back window sufficient enough for air flow. I have a CHITOWN4X4 power rear window with mine and I still love to use it.

I have all of Craig's (i.e. owner of refinedcycle) products and I can speak first hand to the quality and strength of his mounts. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Below are his current offerings for the FJ that I own.

Attachments

#5 ·

Yes I just bought mine and installed it about two weeks ago. It’s a very good fit. You have to remove the spare tire and studs and use their hardware. The studs however a pita to remove atleast for my vehicle. The webpage has the install instructions so you can see what your getting into, and it’s in pdf so you can download it. I’ll post pics tomorrow if I remember of my install. The one problem I had with mine is that the fitment wasn’t all too great.

#9 ·
I see what you mean, but honestly it just can't fit elsewhere and still open the door. I've seen CHITOWN4X4's version and it's in the same spot, except that the cans are full length Rotopax versions that seem less polarizing to the eye maybe?

I can tell you though that the refinedcycle version does not impede rearward vision one bit though. PLUS, the can is high enough to run a super siphon hose directly into the gas cap without removing the can :) Everything has it's pros and cons I guess.

#12 · (Edited)
How do you mean? Like physically picking up a 5gal can that high or do you cringe at carrying weight that high up? It's only about 30lb when full of gas... same as a Hi Lift jack.

I guess I don't have an issue as I installed the can empty then simply filled it up. Then if I need to actually use it, I have a siphon so that the can doesn't have to move from the holder.

It is way less cumbersome than yanking that 90lb spare tire on and off the door :)

Unlike the chitown4x4 rotopax carrier, the refinedcycle version uses (2) separate independent mounting locations... a door hinge mount as well as the spare tire carrier studs. I think some people are concerned that all the weight-bearing is solely done by the cargo door? Not knocking the chitown4x4 version, but it is $299 plus Rotopax costs... double that of refinedcycle AND you lose the function of the rear wiper :( unless you modify it.

So... in the end you must pre-plan your rear bumper selection to include the gas mounting options from the get-go (i.e. Expedition One w/ Swingout or MetalTech Red Eye II) OR pick the best aftermarket option that suits your needs.

For me, I was cost conscious when I got my EXP1 without the Swingout (*insert regret here*). So for now, I'll take the option to keep my rear wiper and crack my window about 4 inches with the refinedcycle product.

#18 ·
thanks , the chi is very well made ubt it looks rather bizarre when the rotopax are not installed, a giant single wing
riding out back. They just finished a sale of 20% off so price was pretty reasonable and I had a 3 gallon rotopax from a previous truck so I'm adding a 4 gallon roto for $100 /so 7 gallons should be good. remember even with the one your using replace all the oem bolts with grade 10. It comes with the CHI mount ,,all 4. Probably less stress since your system is supported at two points.

#21 ·

So here’s a pic of the 3gallon with rotopax extension sistered to a 4 gallon. Looks a bit funky but seems very stable. The arm without the gas cans looks pretty strange- a single off center wing:)

Reactions: darkhorse13
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.