Another BIG Brake Kit Option BBK OMG! - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Another BIG Brake Kit Option BBK OMG!

Where there's a Wil, there's a wood. We're talking about Wilwood! Brakes!

There's another alternative to the current big brake kits (BBK) options. Wilwood has long been used in competitive racing and podium finishers. They really have dedicated themselves to the grassroots motorsports (people like you and I) while balancing larger race programs. The reason I've said this is they've always remained simple in price and offered a way for the little guys to play in the big boy arena. In this case, we can adapt the Wilwood Aero6 6-piston forged aluminum goodness! The Aero6 calipers mate up to 338x32 rotors found on the GX/4Runner Sport through customized brackets. This is preferable for me if I ever have issues, then I can use any brand GX/4R rotor on the road or off the trail. We can use many different options!

Want to out brake your sportscar? Looking to haul that monstrosity of a trailer in confidence while towing? Mall parking curbs so tall you upgraded to 37 -40" and now they just fade away! Just going to leave this here. The basic kit is calipers, pads, and mounting brackets. Cool thing is they can be powdercoated as well black, orange, red, silver, white, yellow, blue.

I reached out to the company producing a basic kit plus additional accessories (rotors/ lines) and was wondering if other people were interested in completing a group buy? We have several options if we are able to confirm 5 buyers and it'll be a certain percentage off. And more so for 10 buyers, etc. Out of respect for companies online, I'll only be messaging the price to buyers to avoid any pricing backlash. I won't be handling any of the funds, but helping organize the list of those confirmed. I would like to see that we have more options available and hopefully this will help others.

Current MSRP for the base kit: $1249

Commonly asked questions (updated as we go)
Will these fit my 16" rims? Short answer is no. Long answer is most likely not, but maybe. Many times it can depend on the design of the barrel of the rim and spokes. Some wheels and manufacturers even have custom requests for BBK fitment. To play it safe, please be aware it was designed around a 17" fitment.

What rim size do I need to accommodate these? As of now, the rim size minimum will be considered safely recommended is an open spoke 17". With most BBK, fit it is determined by wheel diameter, spoke depth and design. I'll see if I can get dimensions of the caliper spacing and how fitment is like on stock fj cruiser 17" wheels.

Do I need new rotors? If you have a PRE 2010 vehicle, most likely if you have a GX or 4runner, they came with smaller 338x28 rotors. These will NOT work with this caliper kit. You can make the upgrade to x32mm rotors to get every little bit of performance.

What GX or 4Runner came with 338x32 rotors? On 2010 model years, they changed to the 338x32. If you have a GX460, then you're in the clear. For the 4Runner, Sport models were equipped with the larger rotors and some Limited models with an "Accessory Package". If you don't know and you have a 2010+, call your dealer with your VIN and they can confirm.

Are their any optional upgrades to the kit? As you'll see it comes with an WW Aero6 caliper that has internal seals. I had to talk to the RR-racing and they will also make have an Aero6 with external Dust Seal version for offroaders for $100 more on top of the kit price. If you only drive street or tow alot where dirt is not a concern, no worries.

If your intention is to offroad, then consider the kit with Aero6 DS model that uses external dust seals. It is an extra $100 on top of the base kit price. Otherwise the base kit will be shipped with standard calipers that use internal seals that are safe for all types of terrain but mainly concentrate on the road.

6/5/19
Sorry for the late update. The GB is officially on. We'll run it until Friday June 21. The sooner we achieve the committed parties, the sooner we can just order them and they'll ship put. I'd like to get to the 2nd tier which is a nice chunk off. Message me you still need info. Thanks!

6/28/19
Participants:
1. jamesepoop **paid
2. FJTTSE (FJ forums) **paid
3. N. Tran (FJ fb) **paid
4 . DeeJae (GXORfb)**paid
5. [USER=82996]@the glen[/USER] (tw)
6. [USER=145719]@Noahs2015Taco[/USER] (tw)
7. [USER=116533]@nudavinci64[/USER] (tw) **paid
8. jameykini (FJ forums) **paid
9. S.B. (TW) **paid
10. Cory (fb)**paid

Last edited by jamesepoop; 06-28-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:29 PM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 2591 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Another BIG Brake Kit Option BBK OMG!

This is being allowed due to the TRD BBK being DISCONTINUED and we like options.

My question is, are all OEM wheels going to fit or... ?

Thank you for doing this James!
Thorn661 and jamesepoop like this.

トヨタ
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Hannibal previously said: View Post
This is being allowed due to the TRD BBK being DISCONTINUED ...

My question is, are all OEM wheels going to fit or... ?
I wasn't aware that TRD BBK was disco but it's my opinion that cross drilled rotors offered in the TRD BBK were not made for off roading. For street vehicles that don't see dirt, debris and mud, it might work but it's not for everyone. Slotted rotors are much more efficient!

As of now, the rim size minimum will be considered safely recommended is an open spoke 17". With most BBK, fit it is determined by wheel diameter, spoke depth and design. I'll see if I can get dimensions of the caliper spacing and how fitment is like on stock fj cruiser 17" wheels.
Hannibal likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:41 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey

So $1,249 basic is for calipers only?

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
mikey previously said: View Post
So $1,249 basic is for calipers only?
Calipers, pads, machined adapter brackets, and NPT-banjo adaptors for using your stock lines.

Additional parts are GX/4R front rotor, lines and you'll have to purchase larger backing plates if you'd like to retain them, without modding
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:40 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)

So won't fit the 16" OEM FJ wheels?
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:56 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey

Quote:
sandFJ90210 previously said: View Post
Doubtful.

Rotor dia:

Stock - 319mm
TRD - 323mm
GX/4Runner - 338mm

Even though the Willwoods piston are offset and the rotors themselves are fairly svelte between what you gain on rotor dia and calipers it stacks up pretty quick.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:21 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)

Quote:
mikey previously said: View Post
Doubtful.

Rotor dia:

Stock - 319mm
TRD - 323mm
GX/4Runner - 338mm

Even though the Willwoods piston are offset and the rotors themselves are fairly svelte between what you gain on rotor dia and calipers it stacks up pretty quick.
Thank you for that.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:39 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 2513 Post(s)
Garage

Please PM me the pricing James. I would be a serious buyer depending on the price breaks.
jamesepoop likes this.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:27 PM
Forum Beer Miester

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
sandFJ90210 previously said: View Post
Thatís the price for serious brakes like Wilwood, none better on the market.
Hannibal and jamesepoop like this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in