Advice on keeping or selling - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Advice on keeping or selling

Hey all,

Not exactly sure where to put this but I'll start here!

I'm an owner of a baby'd "Nessy" all green 2011 'fake' trail teams special edition FJ with 60k miles on it (3" icon lift and Baja flat rack) in California and thinking about selling it for the new all green 4Runner TRD PRO coming out in 2020. Reason = new tech, easier in and out for child and a bit more space in the back.

Curious what everyone's thoughts are about the 4Runner compared to FJ.

I've never rock crawled or taken it really deep into the wilderness (more just off trail camping and snow trail trips). So I'm not really concerned with approach angles, crawling, etc etc. More just a great looking, mall crawler with camping/snow capability that can be reliable 20-30 miles off highway on trails.

Am I silly for thinking about selling? Worries I'm just blinded by the shiny new toy. Haha

Thoughts? Concerns? Words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nessy.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	444.8 KB
ID:	1080360  
PureFJCruiser likes this.

Last edited by Lando; 05-23-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:11 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Advice on keeping or selling

Well I`ve had mine for 13 years now so I`m probly bias. The FJ is a one of a kind. It doesn`t look like anything else. Its pretty indestructible and it goes everywhere. I`ve heard the 4runner is bigger I don`t know I`ve never had one. The FJ will start to get harder to get since it hasn`t been here in the USA since 2014. So once yours is gone you might not be able to get another one without paying out the ass for one. Mine is my forever truck so I`ll never be getting rid of it. If anything ever breaks or wears out it will be rebuilt. Just my opinion hope it helps
dcoy, aarlit1 and jcwrench like this.

Steve.... 07 FJ with almost enough mods.... August 2017 Member of the month
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:10 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)

@jimmy-buffett can comment about this he moved from the same NSSE 2011 to a Toyota 4Runner.
PureFJCruiser likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I’ve had 3 5th Gen 4Runners. I currently have a 2017 TRDORP. I just joined this forum because we picked up my son an 07’ FJ. They are both great vehicles. The 4Runner just feels a bit more refined and has easier access in and out. Drivetrain, off-road handling, reliability are all pretty comparable. I’d like to have both....and with a 16 year old who has one with a title in my name....I kind of do.
Hannibal, Bar3K and aarlit1 like this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I was on the same boat as you and looking into the SR5 model for the 7 seater option and upgrading things myself. There's only been rumors of the green 4runner and all models having TSS. I'm still hoping something changes and a better engine and redesigned body comes out for the 2020 models. So until actual photos and specs come out, I'd wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'13 Iceberg // Conv.+Tow Pckg // OEM Rack + Nerf // 3M 20% // Hella Super Tone // Por 15 // TRD Skid // TRD Pro Suspension Kit

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:27 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Lando previously said: View Post
Curious what everyone's thoughts are about the 4Runner compared to FJ.

I've never rock crawled or taken it really deep into the wilderness (more just off trail camping and snow trail trips). So I'm not really concerned with approach angles, crawling, etc etc. More just a great looking, mall crawler with camping/snow capability that can be reliable 20-30 miles off highway on trails.

Am I silly for thinking about selling? Worries I'm just blinded by the shiny new toy. Haha

Thoughts? Concerns? Words of wisdom?
Thanks for the tag @SilvFx .

I sold a built '11 green FJ for an '18 4Runner, my wife and I were consolidating from an FJ and XTerra to just the 4Runner. I would gladly sell our '18 4Runner (red) for the '20 TRD Pro (green) as I love the color, however the wife won't let me do it. I can sell another car to do it but owning two 4Runners would be overkill.

On the 4Runner vs FJ discussion, my advice is that I have zero regrets. The 4Runner is a superior vehicle in pretty much every way (except MINE isn't GREEN ). Better visibility, sunroof, leather, factory nav, easier to get in the back seat, more storage space. I offroad extensively and it is no less capable than the FJ for the trails I do. In tight tilt scenarios (rocks / trees) you do have to watch the back end a little more to keep from tilting into things, but that's it. Another bonus is that the back door acts like a sun / rain shade when you're stopped and sitting on the tailgate.

On shopping for the '20 TRD Pro, I'd expect that it will be one of the most in-demand colors in recent history (it is consistently one of the most popular FJ TT colors). So you may have trouble finding one for a decent price. My advice would be to search nationally and try to find a rural dealer somewhere in the south where the idea of spending $50K for a 4Runner is crazy. Then swoop in, offer them $44.5K and take it home.
SilvFx and aarlit1 like this.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:03 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Sell it
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:15 PM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I agree, sell it. It's just a "Fake TT".

Where are you located and how much you want for it?

トヨタ
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:40 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)

Similar feedback as to what @jimmy-buffett provided above is that I have seen with my daughter's 3rd Gen 4Runner, at least for the stuff we do, it does every bit as good as my FJ. In fact the 3rd Gens have great ground clearance.

Also if you have young kids, a 4 door is way better and much more user friendly. My wife would have killed me if she had to use the FJ to deal with younger kids. There is a reason that Toyota ditched the FJ and they are still selling plenty of the 4Runners. I see all kinds of people that buy them, lift them, put racks on them, bumpers, sliders etc and do all the same things as the FJ, but they can use it better for camping, skiing, and anything that involves the family.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:16 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Quote:
SilvFx previously said: View Post
My wife would have killed me if she had to use the FJ to deal with younger kids.
my wife made me get rid of a perfect minivan and a LX570, to get FJ. We have two young kids.

I don’t question my wifes mental state 🙂
dcoy, CRFjockey, Prius2FJ and 1 others like this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in