Driving FJs in sand - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Driving FJs in sand

There's a lot of discussion in various posts regarding driving FJs in sand.
It's something I've done once or twice, so I thought I could share some advice, and consolidate the discussion.

All about sand...
Sand isn't really that difficult once you understand it, but of course there are a lot of different factors:

- Grain Size
- Moisture Content
- Temperature
- Gradient
- Topography
- Pack Density

Let's start with grain size. Sand can range from a talcum powder like dust to gravel, and there is always a mix of grain sizes in any one location, and they can vary wildly within a couple of meters depending on deposition (wind, water, gravity).

Moisture content - from bone dry to waterlogged. Generally, the finer the grain, the more effect the moisture content has on its drivability.

Temperature mostly affects moisture content. Hot desert sand is dry, and has very little adhesion. Even if the sand is packed hard, it will loosen up very easily.

Gradient - the steeper, the harder it is to drive on it, but gravity can also be your friend.

Topography - from flat sabkha to beaches, to gatch tracks, to small technical dunes to monster dunes, bowls, slip faces.. the list is endless, and so are the techniques for driving.

Pack density is like snow and is affected by grain size mix, temperature, moisture content, and deposition method. E.g. hot, fine grain wind blown dust in the bottom of a bowl or on the Lee of a dune will drag you down to your floor pan in a nanosecond if you're not switched on mentally (or inexperienced).

Vehicle setup
On sand, weight may be a major success factor, depending on the conditions, but in general, a light vehicle will perform a lot better than the same vehicle with an extra tonne of crap in / on it.

Weight distribution. This is not unique to driving on sand, but excessive weight up high is not ideal. The lower your centre of gravity the better. If you must carry additional water, etc, put it in the footwells rather than the roof rack. Roof top tents are not ideal for dune bashing.

Suspension. When doing a suspension lift, only lift it as much as you need to stop the tires rubbing the inside of the wheel arches on compression. The height you need to lift will vary depending on spring rates, weight, etc. On sand, it is my experience that softer springs & shocks are better than super stiff, but the damping still needs to be effective - the vehicle shouldn't bounce after compression - you'll get seasick and your axles will bounce under power, which is no good.

Tires. These are an integral part of your suspension. The most important parts to consider are sidewall height & sidewall stiffness. Some brands are better than others on sand. The generally accepted kings of sand are Yokohama Geolandar AT, and Cooper Discoverer AT3. LT grade tires have stiffer sidewalls for greater weight, and generally aren't needed for our types of vehicles. P rating is better in sand. MT tires are usually super stiff, and not as good as AT.
Remember the width of the tire is not what helps flotation, it's the length of the contact patch that's more important. Think tank v steam roller. On the FJ, 285/70R17 or 285/75R16 (a shade under 33") is a good size - balancing diameter, and minimal rub, and on road performance. Pressure will vary based on the sand conditions, but 20PSI is a good starting point. You can safely go as low as 12 PSI on the front before risking a pop-off depending on your driving style. The rear tires can go a few pounds lower if necessary.

Armour. Less is more. On the FJ, the main vulnerability is from the radiator to the first crossmember after the engine. There is no need for transmission skids or fuel tank skids or rear diff skids beyond the stock items. The front skid will get fairly battered, so 10mm aluminium or equivalent steel. My last front skid was 8mm aluminium, and it had to be replaced after 3 years of use. Most of the damage was done in the year before I lifted the suspension & fitted larger tires.
Front, rear bull bars, sliders - not needed. My plastic bumpers covers are still fine(ish).
I had factory side steps on the vehicle when I bought it - they just grabbed the sand and made it harder to dig under the vehicle during recovery, so they went the way of my stock rubber & suspension.
You may have a need for a steel ARB bull bar (animal strikes mostly), but sand isn't a reason for it. There's not much risk of animal strikes here (If I hit a camel, then I'll need more than a bull bar. Those things are massive), and I don't have a winch, so stock works fine for me.

Recovery equipment

Long handled shovel
Maxtrax
Snatch strap & selection of steel & soft shackles
Hilift jack with offroad base and lift mate
Compressor

If you're on your own, the above would be the minimum and doesn't include safety equipment. The snatch strap can even be used without another vehicle if you're careful!

Recovery techniques

When stuck in sand, stop before you bog yourself to the frame rails. Get out and have a look around before proceeding.
Are you hung up on something? Are you fighting gravity? How's your tire pressure?

If you still have downward pressure on your tires, dig the sand out from in front and behind ALL tires. Drop your tire pressure to around 15 PSI in front and 10-12 in the rear. Lay the maxtrax out in the direction of travel (Downhill. always downhill. Gravity always wins), and kick them down under the tire.
select low range & lock everything that can be locked (centre diff, rear diff, ATRAC on), then have a go at driving out. If you bog again, repeat unless you're on the frame rails. Then it's time to bring out the big guns...

If the sand is touching the bottom of the vehicle/frame rails, then unleash the Hilift...

To be continued...

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262

Last edited by amaclach; 07-11-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Re: Driving FJs in sand

for someone with very limited experience driving in sand on the beach for fishing(drive, find a spot, park, drive back home) the only thing i have ever needed to do is air down. this is with a 2002 jeep grand cherokee, and 2012 honda pilot. i would put both into 4x4 part time, which i guess the equivalent for the FJ is 4HI. with the aggressive BFG ko2 tires i was planning on only airing down to about 30psi this summer and going into 4hi. anything else im missing?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Desert Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
philFJ previously said: View Post
for someone with very limited experience driving in sand on the beach for fishing(drive, find a spot, park, drive back home) the only thing i have ever needed to do is air down. this is with a 2002 jeep grand cherokee, and 2012 honda pilot. i would put both into 4x4 part time, which i guess the equivalent for the FJ is 4HI. with the aggressive BFG ko2 tires i was planning on only airing down to about 30psi this summer and going into 4hi. anything else im missing?
Depends on the sand. This thread is a work in progress, but I'd suggest that 30 on KO2 is pretty high considering how stiff those sidewalls are, and the weight of the FJ. My highway pressure is 32 cold on much softer sidewalls (Cooper AT3). Typically you'd air down to 50% of highway pressure so if you're at 40 on the highway, then 20 would be where you should aim for, but it all depends on the sand conditions. It's a amazing how far you can go before you get stuck on full highway pressure even on hot dry sand.
Thorn661, Lee44 and Prius2FJ like this.

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:07 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Garage

I have spent a lot of time in the sand in my FJ. I normally air down to 15 psi (KO2's) and run 4 hi. The FJ has zero issues in sand under these conditions.
amaclach, Thorn661, Lee44 and 2 others like this.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin
"You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something sometime in your life." - Napoleon
"Quotes found on the internet are rarely correct." - George Washington

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)

good to know thanks.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:45 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage

What a great idea from an expert. I have ran quite a few dunes in California, Nevada and Oregon in the last 35+years of duning on ATVs and now 4x4 vehicles. You are spot on with your posts about grain size and how it can affect climbing or even worse sinking your fj at the bottom of a deep sand bowl. When I run my fj in the dunes I like it at about 10 psi. I do have a question, What have you don to the rear suspension to keep up with the front suspension. It seems that my rear end cannot handle the whoops and rough run ups to steep dunes as well as the front. It is my limiting factor when trying to climb steep tall dunes like Sand Mountain in Nevada.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190322_073400.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	1080448  
amaclach, Lee44 and Prius2FJ like this.

"You don't need to worry about visibility over the hood....thats why cactus are so tall...just point the truck where the no cactus are and floor it."

-Rick Snell
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 03:53 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Quoted: 2665 Post(s)
Garage

I drove on sand once. Put the tires at 15 psi, TC in 4 hi and never had a problem. Even put it in 2WD for rooster tails but slowly started sinking. Put it back in 4WD and all good. My notes say traction control off also.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post7595578
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Desert Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Mulie previously said: View Post
What a great idea from an expert. I have ran quite a few dunes in California, Nevada and Oregon in the last 35+years of duning on ATVs and now 4x4 vehicles. You are spot on with your posts about grain size and how it can affect climbing or even worse sinking your fj at the bottom of a deep sand bowl. When I run my fj in the dunes I like it at about 10 psi. I do have a question, What have you don to the rear suspension to keep up with the front suspension. It seems that my rear end cannot handle the whoops and rough run ups to steep dunes as well as the front. It is my limiting factor when trying to climb steep tall dunes like Sand Mountain in Nevada.
My springs are relatively soft, but the rear is definitely the weakness. I get a bit of axle bounce - not notcable, but it's there when you look at the track left in the sand.
Locking the rear diff makes a huge difference - see my signature for the link to lock it in high range.
Mulie likes this.

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage

I would like to add something to this conversation. When I was younger, sometime during the Miocene, I had a 1977 Toyota HiLux pick up. I grew up near the Gulf of Mexico and would go to the beach. This was during a time you could still drive on a beach.

When would get stuck in sand, I would dig out around the buried wheel and start filling it with water. It would cause the sand to pack down so I could drive out.

This truck was 2wd with an open diff. No locker. No maxtrax. No winch. Just me, the ocean, and the poor unfortunate girl I took out there.
ZerosFJ, amaclach, Lee44 and 2 others like this.

Philosophy without action is worthless. Action without philosophy is dangerous.

Soichiro Honda
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:05 PM
Admin

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2466 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Mulie previously said: View Post
You can apply a small amount of braking with your left foot to take out some of the back-end bounce.
amaclach, Lee44 and Mulie like this.

Suck it up... it's only -40

2008 FJ Trail Teams
ARB Front; Exp1 rear STC; Apex rocksliders; Lightforce on front bumper; ARB Full Rack w/Grid; ; Icon Susp w/cdc; magnaflow muffler (mashed the original); Engo 12000S winch; 285/75/16 Duratracs; Ricochet skids, Uniden PC78 Elite CB (ch 16 typically, ch 19 on the hwy)

"Don't drive angry".... BFM

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in