Anybody working to improve fuel mileage? - Page 7 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Anybody working to improve fuel mileage?

Anyone with a larger wheel/tire package get any improvement in MPG by regearing?

I imagine it might help a little depending on what you are running, and the kind of driving you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

2012 FJ, stock and I regularly am getting 20 - 22 MPG. Am I doing something wrong????
post #63 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:40 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey
Lifetime Supporting Member

Driving like an old man or bad math?

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

One cannot improve fuel economy much unless one can improve the size and shape of the body. By order of impact on fuel economy:

1. Smaller cross sectional area - less drag (smaller vehicle that is lower to the ground)
2. Better coefficient of drag (different body shape)
3. Reduce the mass of the vehicle
4. Convert to a full electric drivetrain

Unless you can shape-shift an FJ or have unlimited money you are basically stuck with the stock fuel economy.

Small improvements:
* Drive slower
* Install smaller tires or tires with lower rolling resistance; keep tires aired up
* Keep a clean air filter
* Install an aftermarket EMS with better sensors and tune everything more precisely; this would have the largest impact of all -- but it is too tempting to tune for more power instead of efficiency

Physics: it's the law.
FJFool likes this.
post #65 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 12:43 PM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

FJ Cruiser and fuel mileage?

Ahh, that's a good one!

But in all seriousness, I'm not surprised you can get 20.1 in stock fashion. It's a bit lighter and lower than my 5th gen 4Runner, and that normally gets between 19 & 20, up to 21.5 if I keep it under 60 (construction zones! I don't do that on purpose). I just came back from WI last weekend and averaged 18.6 for the trip there and back but was loaded with people, fridge/freezer, duffel bags, and such running A/C most of the time.

My advice would be to drive it like there's an egg between your shoe and the throttle, you may pick up a bit there. The more air (or cold air) you can move through the engine at cruising RPMs can help as well. This usually means giving up good filtration though. I used to play this game with my 3rd gen Tacoma, and even driving like I was on my way to early Pinochle, and still never achieved even close to what Toyota claimed they get. High altitude and a non torquey 3.5L engine was the culprit for me.
bazross and FJFool like this.

R.I.P.- Echo

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

It Is Easier To Walk On Hot Coals Then It Is To Walk On Egg Shells...-CC

Member of the month-October 2017
post #66 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
mikey previously said: View Post
Driving like an old man or bad math?
I am okay with that, I AM an "old man".
FJFool and CabinCruiser like this.
post #67 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:01 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)

Quote:
dru2 previously said: View Post
(snip)

Install an aftermarket EMS with better sensors and tune everything more precisely; this would have the largest impact of all -- but it is too tempting to tune for more power instead of efficiency. Physics: it's the law.
I 100% agree with all but your last point. Unless the aftermarket EMS can command a range of valve timing to approach that of a true Atkinson-cycle engine. and the Toyota VVTi cam-timing hardware has enough range of adjustment to follow the EMS commands, I don't think that very slightly improving mixture control via better sensors & control algorithms would "have the largest impact of all".

Aero drag, weight, and driving habits are by far the biggest factors, unless I am missing something that a more sophisticated EMS might provide.
CabinCruiser likes this.
post #68 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes it really is just physics, as someone said in this thread. But it’s the physics of the engine breathing in and out that are important. First and easiest, ditch the stock air filter and get a K&N or green filter. Next, find that “scrubber” filter that sits behind the air filter and get your dremmel and pull it out. If you have over 100k miles, it will be pitch black and you can’t see through it. Your engine will then breath a hugh sigh of relief. Next, go get some NGK Iridium spark plugs and replace the stock junk. Next, work on the exhaust end with a less restrictive muffler/exhaust system. This will get you about 20 MPG doing 70 MPH down the freeway.
post #69 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:45 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Garage
Supporting Member

My 08 gets 15-16 avg in the city mixed highway . when i go up north I get 12-14 mpg. i go from 1800ish to 7000-9000 ft. now coming home it will get 17-18 all down hill with my RTT on. I have a air box and cat back exhaust. i also have a light tire and wheel package 73 lbs. my wheels only weigh 18 lbs each and the tires are 55 lbs. . if I get a heavy foot it looses 1-1 1/2 mpg. when the tent is off pick up about 1 mpg. the best it ever did was 22 mpg that was no roof rack and 265 75r-16 tires.
I see 6-8 mpg when climbing with the RTT on my scan gauge. when I wheel it it has been 10-11 mpg. I am surprised that it gets what it does. it basically has the aerodynamics of a brick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0053.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	1085518  

08 TI Off Road Package 6112's,5160's Toytec HD super flex, Light Racing UCA'S Wheeler's Bump Stops Toy Outfitters tube bumper, Trail Gear sliders, Trail gear transfer skid,All Pro IFS Skid,All Pro Trans Skid,All Pro E Locker Skid,TC Link Armor,ScanGuageII, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust ,Cobra 75, Bandi Mount,Scuba Mod, High Lift, Duratrac 285/75R16's,Warn 9.5TI, Pul Pal, Baja Utility Rack,ARB Simson II RTT
post #70 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I tried Airaid and volant air intakes and it better with fuel economy

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in