Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Doug DeMuro finally reviews the FJ

6K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  Sillymike 
#1 ·
About time. I love Dougs review of cars.

#2 ·
I e-mailed him about reviewing mine, but I'm in Denver and he's in SoCal. He doesn't get out here too often, guess he found one locally.

#6 ·
I watched that last night. His review really highlighted my obsession with the FJ. I got really mad when he slagged things like the knobs and how far away the windshield is. Moreover, if the rear wiper was any larger it'd be too big. And three wipers on the front is the perfect amount just like the MGB I had. Plus, who gripes about a rear view camera? Weirdo.

Here's my gripe with every review: gee, the FJ doesn't accelerate like a car or corner well. It drives like it's supposed to. It's an off-road vehicle so it's not going to be a sports car. Would you expect a quad to keep up with a sport bike? Then why expect a real 4x4 to keep pace with a sports car?

I did agree with the shift knob. I've never liked the shift knob. It looks like something you'd smack an insolent kid with.

#15 ·
Well I don't expect our critique to make much sense because we all own at least one and are kind of like a cult of sorts, and quite biased. Normal people may not "get" the FJ and that's fine with me. Oh, TexasFJ, I kind of agree with you about the shifter, except it always reminded me of an early LED flashlight. I think the reviewer doesn't really understand the basis of the original 40, and his lack of correct history shows this. Grain of salt taken. :bandit:

#22 ·
So now I have to change my shifter knob to an actual LED flashlight head. :grin

#18 ·
I liked the review. It is quirky, so am I !:wink
I did notice something in the video that is bugging me about mine. The rear door catch (bottom) is rusting. Both of mine are also. Booo Toyota.
Just last week I was vacuuming the Moab B4 Summit/FJ Summit dust out of the FJ, and I noticed mine is rusting on the drivers side. Trying to figure out what to do about it... would just hit it with Fluid Film but that would be messy. Maybe I'll paint it with Rust Reformer and top coat, can't look any worse.

#27 ·
x2 Just take them off, sand blast and paint (silver if you like, or black, or whatever). Use some anti-seize on the threads during re-assembly to avoid them rusting and use a torque wrench to avoid over-torquing them. When I use anti-seize I reduce torque -40% to compensate for the lubrication to avoid over torquing.

Those floor mounted strikers get wet every time you get in/out in the winter, and as Serenity pointed out, road salt makes anything that is zinc chromate plated rust in short order, if it is exposed to it often enough.

That rust is only cosmetic unless it is left untreated for a very, very long time.

#30 ·
Meh, stying is subjective, and let's face it the FJ is a love it or hate it design stylistically.

Where he lost me is 5 for "quality". What is his criteria for that??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.