Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

2010+ or 07-09?

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Iconic_ 
#1 ·
I have been stalking for a while looking to pick up my next FJ, will be buying in the next year - two years. The one debate I struggle with is first or second "gen". My wife had a Blue 07 with 120k on the clock, we drove it until 160k, then she sold it while I was away (I still give her grief about that). I had a 2012 for a while, drove it across the country, did the Rubicon and various other trails with it. Love'd that truck, but sold it when I got stationed in Japan and we had just gotten my wife's TRD 4Runner.

Anyways, her FJ felt like a pig, didn't have the same pep in it's step as my 2012, also got a solid 13 MPG the entire time we had it. Mine hung around 18-19 even after the 33's, and just felt more lively than the 07. My 2012 also had 35k when I bought it, so that may be a part of the difference. I love the old blue ones, think they are great. And I am looking for a cheaper one, since I intend to ride it hard on the trail and spend a lot of money on upgrades.

Here's my comparison so far, hoping folks with more experience can fill in around it.

07-09:
Has the blue color
Cheaper
More on the market
Relatively the same aftermarket support
Less HP
Less MPG
Older

10-14
Still has cool colors
Not THAT much more (when you're in the 100k+ market)
TTUE's available
Share's parts with our T4R
More HP
Maybe more MPG
Newer

Either that or I convince the wife to let me adopt her 4Runner. However, then I have to baby a $45k rig down the trail.

See less See more
#2 ·
If you are going to go off road with any seriousness I would go 2010+ for the more robust 8.2" rear diff.

#3 ·
07-09:
Has the blue color
Cheaper
More on the market
Relatively the same aftermarket support
Less HP
Less MPG
Older

10-14
Still has cool colors
Not THAT much more (when you're in the 100k+ market)
TTUE's available
Share's parts with our T4R
More HP
Maybe more MPG
Newer

Either that or I convince the wife to let me adopt her 4Runner. However, then I have to baby a $45k rig down the trail.
Just to clarify, there were 3 blue colors during the FJ's run:

http://www.toyotareference.com/charts/FJ07.png

Voodoo '07-09, Cavalry Blue '11-13 then the TTUE in '14.

My advice would be to either build the 4Runner -- I sold my '11 FJ for an '18 4Runner and it goes anywhere -- or buy an FJ here on the forums that is already built. My own '11 FJ with $13K in mods sold for the market value of the truck plus ~45% of the mod value (not counting install). Why buy a $15K truck and put $10K more into it when you can buy the same vehicle here, used, for ~$18-19K?

Example: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/vehicles-sale/735020-sold.html#post9248768

#8 ·
Voodoo was the blue I was referring too. Love Cavalry Blue as well, our 4Runner is, but I think the Voodoo blue suits the FJ's boldness.

True, there are some well built rigs on here. I have always been hesitant to buy a built one though since you don't know how it was treated on the trail. Did the driver know when to back off, or did they apply the Jeremy Clarkson approach to every challange?

#4 ·
After scouring the sales brochures, here's a brief list of the key differences for you, year x year:

'06~'07: rear diff quality issue (probably all broken and replaced by now)
4/'08 (or near there): inner fender crack C/M implemented (3rd panel welded in)

'08: TPMS, cyclone air cleaner, side airbags and side sun visors (and no longer needs hack for Rr Diff and A-Track)

'09: seat headrests angled forward, active headrest system added, rear camera option with EC I/mirror, map lamp added, roll over sensing side airbags (with SW for offroad)

'10: Dual VVTi engine (+20hp, -8lb-ft, +1mpg), 8.2" rear diff, steering rack quickened (3.3-> 2.75 lock x lock), washer jar level sensor added (because jar moved below apron)

'11: Bluetooth/hands free adopted with buttons on steering wheel, Fr seat tilt angle increased for improved rear seat access (14 -> 40 deg)

'12: TPMS reset light added

'13: LEVII-ULEV emissions (air injector pump on ex manifolds, unique charcoal canister, etc.), I/mirror backup display increased 2.4" -> 3.3" with backup guidelines and GDO (garage door opr), Crawl control option (AT only), event data recorder adopted

'14: end of the line

Of course, there are the myriad TT, TRD and color options for each year (see the "Complete Special Editions Guide" thread for that).

Some of the things can be easily dealt with: LED dome lamps for the pre-map lamp vehicles, or a modern NAVI audio to get rear camera and hands free/Bluetooth and a much larger display than was ever offered by Toyota, or the various hacks for the early years.

Frankly, if one is planning to modify the suspension then getting one of the special editions would be pretty much only to get the unique color (as all the rest would be changed along with the suspension, and the badges are just badges).

Norm

#5 ·
I think you are the best person to answer this question, since you guys owned a 07 and a 12. Personally, finding a clean FJ, with all maintenance done would be my first choice, regardless of year. However, if I was forced to choose, between two super clean trucks, I would go 10+

Good luck

#6 ·
There’s a performance tune available for both 07+ and 10+ (see Raptor thread) to add power which might help you decide. I think it must be the best you can find for your budget and then short list your finds

#7 ·
Meh...a well maintained FJ is what you want.

After that I would be looking for early '07 ( I know tough to find) - no chip key, many missing options are plug and play ( cruise control) on later FJ's not so, oil filter on top, no TPMS,

The newer FJ may have more HP but less torque
The earlier FJ - the torque is available at a lower rpm than the new FJ (3,600 vs 4,400 rpm)

The rear diff "issue" was limited a very specific VIN range but the internet crowd has painted all early FJ's with this "problem".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.