Help! I may have a serious problem with my FJ!! - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Help! I may have a serious problem with my FJ!!

Ok, maybe it isn't that serious, but my wife and I found out this weekend that we are expecting our first child. Now I love my FJ and it is my dream car and wouldn't trade it for any other vehicle. However, now I have to be a real adult and think about things like kids. I know a lot of you guys and gals have kids, but how hard is it to move a baby around in the FJ. Should I seriously be considering trading for a taco or 4runner? Any thoughts would be a huge help, Thanks in advance!
Lee44 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:05 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 2141 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Help! I may have a serious problem with my FJ!!

@Loganbeere recently had a baby and seems to be doing great with her in the FJ. I know there are others here.....donít give up!
Thorn661, Lee44 and USMTTT like this.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

That's great to hear. I really don't want to give up the FJ, but it's my daily and with a baby on the way can't justify it as a toy. Has to be the daily or has to go. Hope it functions fine as a baby mobile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:17 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)

Is it as ideal as a Honda Oddyssey? Of course not. Is it doable? Sure.

I deal with 2 kids + car seats in the FJ. FJC is the kids daily, and sees 20K miles a year. We actually replaced a van. Got tired of the van. The ONLY and biggest problem with FJ + kids, that I have personally faced, is the door situation. If you are in a tight spot and both front and rear doors are open, you get "trapped" inside with the car seat. To alleviate that, I just park further away from people. It helps with the DADBOD situation.

TO ME, the amazing positives of the FJ, outweighs the inconvenience of the door situation.

Good luck with the baby and your decisions.
IDFJ, mcb66, Lee44 and 3 others like this.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:11 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1499 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey

No problem at all, I cart my niece and nephew around all the time (since baby). Double car seats. The only time it may be a bit challenging is when they start buckling their own seatbelt. The reach-over-help them move can be a bit much between working blindly to get the buckle in, kids wanting no help, with your face right there they think it is fun to tag Uncles face with slobbery lollipop. It is a short lived hardship as they become pros real quick.

Now that they are older they can also reach each other from their seats and can make for some epic battles.....but hey....their kids.
USMTTT likes this.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:10 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
USMTTT previously said: View Post
I know a lot of you guys and gals have kids, but how hard is it to move a baby around in the FJ.
As a test, put a clothes basket in the back seat of your FJ then drive it to the local grocery store. Then have your wife hop out of the passenger side, take the clothes basket out and close up the truck. She will see the problems immediately: not a lot of space to reach into the back seat, the front and back doors create a box that limits your movement etc.

Quote:
Should I seriously be considering trading for a taco or 4runner?
My wife and I traded my '11 FJ and her '15 XTerra for a '18 4Runner last year. I then built it just as I built the FJ, and I try to offroad it nearly as much. You will miss how unique the FJ is -- 4Runners are common as dirt. Beyond that, you won't see much of a difference offroad. On-road? Leather seats, factory nav, factory sunroof, a usable back seat.

I loved my FJ, but I don't miss it compared to the 4Runner.
ICChief likes this.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:30 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 53 Post(s)

I've had no problem with mine, she's 17 months now.
I've got a MaxiCosi MicoMax 30 base that stays in the center of the back seat (I'm too tall to put it behind the driver's seat).

I load her up in the house or with the carseat facing the driver's rear door and then snap the seat into the base. Tip the driver's seat up to get her in and out.
It's no true 4-door but it's really not that bad.
I've got a mirror on the center headrest to see her in my rear view.

Not my pic, but similar setup:

We'll see how things change as she gets bigger. My wife has a rear-facing fixed seat in her car, and it doesn't take up much more room. Once she's big enough for foward facing there should be little issue getting her behind the driver's seat.
USMTTT likes this.

Last edited by RDTCU; 08-15-2019 at 01:33 PM.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:40 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)

Quote:
Ok, maybe it isn't that serious, but my wife and I found out this weekend that we are expecting our first child. Now I love my FJ and it is my dream car and wouldn't trade it for any other vehicle. However, now I have to be a real adult and think about things like kids. I know a lot of you guys and gals have kids, but how hard is it to move a baby around in the FJ. Should I seriously be considering trading for a taco or 4runner? Any thoughts would be a huge help, Thanks in advance!
I went thru this with my son who is now 7. When they are rear facing it sucks. I'm 6' and my wife is 5'10" and no rear facing car seat fits behind the seats. That meant he was in the middle, which made loading no fun. It can be done with an FJ, but the 4Runner would be more practical.
MikeS11222 likes this.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:57 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Garage

You could do what I did, and find a good used Camry so you can have the best of both worlds. Keep the FJ for sure.
ICChief and MikeS11222 like this.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin
"You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something sometime in your life." - Napoleon
"Quotes found on the internet are rarely correct." - George Washington

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

While they are still rear facing, its the worst thing in the world . I almost got rid of my truck because of this. The rear seat is set back further than the door opening so you cannot see the baby at all while you are trying to squeeze the seat back there. Oh an forget about getting the seat out of the car while you are in a parking lot next to another car. You might as well just go back home. Also dont even think about trying to put the baby in a rear facing seat thats already in the car. You literally have to hold the baby horizontally and wedge her back there blindly. This makes me want to sell my truck just thinking about it. We drive my wifes car everywhere now because it sucks to bad.

LOL for me the only good part was that the visibility in the truck is so bad it created a darker environment for her to nap.

Last edited by MikeS11222; 08-15-2019 at 02:02 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in