Hip Replacement & The FJ - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By longtooth
  • 1 Post By Bad Wolf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Hip Replacement & The FJ

I did a search on the forum and found nothing about an owner/driver with a new hip replacement (Emergency). I bought my FJ just a few weeks ago. I ordered OEM black wheels and rock rails that showed up on Tuesday. But that's not about my question Saturday morning I had a bicycle wreck breaking my hip. Sunday morning at 7am I had a TOTAL hip replacement and by Monday at 4pm I was back home with a few exercises to do.

I know when healthy and active I always had to add a little 'hop' to get into the seat of the FJ. I am wondering how that will work now with my right hip, the one I replaced. Anyone out there still driving a JF that has had a HIP not knee replacement.

I am assuming I can sell my rock rails and then buy the rails that have two steps, one on each side of the rail to help me get into the truck ... as a WORSE CASE solution.

I'm old but always been athletically active so its not like I am having to push a lot of extra weight up into the seat.

2013 FJ, Iceberg White, OR Package, Black Wheels and Rock Rails on order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:35 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Hip Replacement & The FJ

WOW! A post I can answer!

I had my left hip AND knee done in 2015. Had no issue with the FJ, and mine has a 3" OME susp lift. What I needed back then was a grab bar that my big hand could get hold of easily - the stock grab bars I have to wiggle to get my fingers (sausages?) behind.

I put those Tyger rock sliders on recently, and based on what happened with my hip, they would be a great addition - let you hitch your foot up to within like 4 inches of the door jamb, and then you can grab the bar and settle in.

Since then, I made my own grab bars and they hold my 280 lb 6'1" self without any fuss, and my fingers slide behind them easily. If it were my hip, I would grab the bar to get in, then set my foot on the rock slider, then hop in the seat. Then brace with your right hand against the base of the passenger armrest, grab the bar again, and settle into the seat. THEN lift your leg in...assuming it's your left one. If not, then you will need an ez to grab and sturdy grab bar and the slider to use as a step.

Make sure you can get hold of the grab bar. If you get those Tyger sliders, then you can use your left leg to step there and ease into the seat.

But - if I did it you certainly can!!
iubhounds likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
longtooth previously said: View Post
WOW! A post I can answer!

I had my left hip AND knee done in 2015. Had no issue with the FJ, and mine has a 3" OME susp lift. What I needed back then was a grab bar that my big hand could get hold of easily - the stock grab bars I have to wiggle to get my fingers (sausages?) behind.

I put those Tyger rock sliders on recently, and based on what happened with my hip, they would be a great addition - let you hitch your foot up to within like 4 inches of the door jamb, and then you can grab the bar and settle in.

Since then, I made my own grab bars and they hold my 280 lb 6'1" self without any fuss, and my fingers slide behind them easily. If it were my hip, I would grab the bar to get in, then set my foot on the rock slider, then hop in the seat. Then brace with your right hand against the base of the passenger armrest, grab the bar again, and settle into the seat. THEN lift your leg in...assuming it's your left one. If not, then you will need an ez to grab and sturdy grab bar and the slider to use as a step.

Make sure you can get hold of the grab bar. If you get those Tyger sliders, then you can use your left leg to step there and ease into the seat.

But - if I did it you certainly can!!
It's my right hip but this would still work.

I step up or down with my good leg (left) ... So I am thinking similar to what you described ... grab the bar, left foot on rock slider or step, pull myself up and slide into seat, press right hand against the passenger seat to lift hips and get seat situated as I bring my good leg into the floorboard.

Since you had even 3" more to climb that gives me confidence in this procedure. I use stock height wheels and tires. I knew there had to be someone out there in FJ land that still had their FJ and had a hip replaced. I will take a look at those Tyger Rock Rails right now.

thanks for the FAST REPLY ... I thought I might have to trade it for a RAV4 Adventure and I didn't want to do that ... I love FJ's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:46 AM
Forum Regular

Garage

Oh - one word of advice - do the stretching exercises. Do them until you get your range of motions back. I had issue with adhesions, and was about to go in to have them flex my leg...but then I slipped in some dog drool on my tile floor and the hip stretched itself and broke the adhesions. SWMBO thought I had broke the other hip the way I screamed. But once I got up, my range of motion was good as the other hip.

If you cannot get your range of motion back with the stretches, then tell your ortho you want him to bust the adhesions. They knock you out, stretch the adhesions free, and then you wake up in like 15 min, all outpatient. Don't let him tell you 'no' if you did the stretches and couldn't get full range back - your insurance will cover it if you get it done before the end of the year. The hip is now solid, and the capsule around it is healed in like 60-90 days. It's the adhesions that are the issue with range of motion. Your muscles pop back in a few weeks if you stay with the leg presses.

BTW - I am 64...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
longtooth previously said: View Post
Oh - one word of advice - do the stretching exercises. Do them until you get your range of motions back. I had issue with adhesions, and was about to go in to have them flex my leg...but then I slipped in some dog drool on my tile floor and the hip stretched itself and broke the adhesions. SWMBO thought I had broke the other hip the way I screamed. But once I got up, my range of motion was good as the other hip.

If you cannot get your range of motion back with the stretches, then tell your ortho you want him to bust the adhesions. They knock you out, stretch the adhesions free, and then you wake up in like 15 min, all outpatient. Don't let him tell you 'no' if you did the stretches and couldn't get full range back - your insurance will cover it if you get it done before the end of the year. The hip is now solid, and the capsule around it is healed in like 60-90 days. It's the adhesions that are the issue with range of motion. Your muscles pop back in a few weeks if you stay with the leg presses.

BTW - I am 64...
I'm 67

When you say leg press ... are you talking sitting in a chair or on the side of the bed lifting the leg below the knee up to making the whole leg level ?? I hope so because in Day 5 there is no way I can do a squat leg press. LOL ... Dog drool ???? I have that option too. A bloodhound that is concerned with what happened and tile floors. Thanks for your information. It helps.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 12:01 PM
Forum Regular

Garage

Not those - that's to prevent adhesions from forming. When you start your physical therapy, they should have you in a machine for leg presses, another for lateral thigh extensions and another for medial extensions. In a week or so they are likely to put you on a walking machine with a "gait check" system to make sure your stepping is even and you aren't dragging the leg with the new hip.

Maybe you'll get a cute PT - I find that helps when you gotta put out to get better...LOL

When they start your PT, just push anything that is muscle related - will help get you back in the groove quicker.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 03:02 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

My left hip is somewhere near 10+ years old, I'm 61. Metal on Metal, Big ball titanium, minimal invasive with a 3" scar. I dont know if they still do these. Bottom line is, stop overthinking this, and that 90 degree warning they told ya. You will be fine and as good or better than new. Just dont fall or get into a car crash before healed. After that go back to what you were doing at the rate you were doing it.
If you didnt need a step or grab handle before the surgery, you won't need it after recovery.
Good Luck
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 04:52 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Had my left hip replaced 9 years ago and no problems. Just take it slow and be careful...……… and drive.

'07 Black Cherry
4x4 5AT

"Whatever does not kill you - makes you stronger"
Nietzsche
The philosopher - not the linebacker
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 05:25 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)

You guys sound like a bunch of hipsters!!

Wow that was an awful joke even for me.
saabturbo likes this.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 06:06 PM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7041 Post(s)
Garage
If you just need something temporary check out Safety Step on either e-trailer or Amazon. They make small steps for RVs for the times when you just need an extra one when parked on uneven ground or when you need just a few inches to reach something. The smaller one is set at around 6" and is 11"x"15" with all four legs being able to fold up into the unit making it just over an inch thick. The weight rating is 1000lbs and it weighs 5lbs. It's aluminum. They have a larger one that has adjustable legs for three or four heights. It's also aluminum and weighs 10lbs. They work great.

I use a small one in my truck as my back is messed up and I'm stooped over when standing. I can step on it and then move right into the truck. I took a piece of paracord and tied it to the step with a loop at the other end which I slide over the inside door handle and then I can lift the step up into the truck after I'm in.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in