FJ with Salvage Title, how much less than clear title FJ? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
General Discussion This area contains general discussion regarding the Toyota FJ Cruiser that does not fit into the other technical discussion forums.

3Likes
  • 2 Post By norm356
  • 1 Post By longtooth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
rkb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FJ with Salvage Title, how much less than clear title FJ?

I was just wondering in general how much less a Salvage Title FJ should sell for? I know this depends a lot on how it was fixed, what damage was done, etc, etc

I have looked at 2007 with 140k miles, looks and drives great and I can buy for about $8500 good deal or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 01:19 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Re: FJ with Salvage Title, how much less than clear title FJ?

industry practice is -20~40% of the blue book value, of course, depending entirely on the quality of the work done

Also factor in whatever hit your insurance company will apply when you go to insure it (ask them for their policy/details).

With those two pieces of information, you can deduct that from the book value of an '07 with that many miles to decide.

Cargurus website has a nice cost estimator for each model, based on miles, using recent sales data nationwide.
CRAW and Lee44 like this.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
rkb

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
norm356 previously said: View Post
industry practice is -20~40% of the blue book value, of course, depending entirely on the quality of the work done

Also factor in whatever hit your insurance company will apply when you go to insure it (ask them for their policy/details).

With those two pieces of information, you can deduct that from the book value of an '07 with that many miles to decide.

Cargurus website has a nice cost estimator for each model, based on miles, using recent sales data nationwide.
Thanks

I think for the price I can get this one for it is a good deal. I have looked at and driven three 2007 and this Salvage one was the best by far. Nicer condition and some nice up grades, new wheels, stereo, mirrors etc. For $3000-$5000 less than clear title ones.

I don't see any way other than this to get in a low cost FJ. I think I am taking it to mechanic early next week to get it checked out.

Last edited by rkb; 09-15-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 03:34 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage

Just be sure and pull the carpet up and get under it to check for rust. If it was one of the ones that got drowned in the last decade of hurricanes, then it could easily be a rust bucket with lipstick on it. Freshwater is not so bad, but if it got slobbered on by a tidal surge, then it was saltwater or brackish, and may have set there for days soaking it in. Those saltwater salvages are good for about 5-6 years and then it gets real ugly.
Lee44 likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
rkb

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
longtooth previously said: View Post
Just be sure and pull the carpet up and get under it to check for rust. If it was one of the ones that got drowned in the last decade of hurricanes, then it could easily be a rust bucket with lipstick on it. Freshwater is not so bad, but if it got slobbered on by a tidal surge, then it was saltwater or brackish, and may have set there for days soaking it in. Those saltwater salvages are good for about 5-6 years and then it gets real ugly.
How do I find out for sure what caused the salvage title? This owner said he bought it with a car dealer buddy at a auction with salvage title and it had body panels damaged on the passenger side. If in fact this is the case it looked like a quality body shop repair. He said he has $11,000 into it with purchase and upgrades. It look like I can get for $8500 but I am looking to get it maybe $7500 if my mechanic checks it out.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:05 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage

CarFax.

You need to look at "Frame Damage" category and at "Airbag Deployment" category - that will tell you if the FJ was seriously crunched. A rollover will also total out an FJ without frame or airbag damage, but usually they note that in the Carfax.

Most states they declare a car total loss if repair costs greater than 80% of book value.

If it's a total loss, and nothing in the Carfax report about the damage, then you have to suspect water. If it is from the Gulf Coast area, right on the coast, and gets declared total loss and no more details, look and see if the date matches a hurricane hitting the same area within 60 days.

I would not be worried about the salvage title once you know what the damage was - often insurance companies make more parting out the wreck or selling it off and totaling the vehicle - particularly with FJ's due to high resale value and limited pool of vehicles. If the airbags deployed and you had frame damage, it might still be a good buy - but you would need to get it up on a frame straightener and look at it to be sure it got fixed right.

The box frame of the FJ can be straightened, just like old cars from the 1970's could be. I straightened a Shelby Cobra back in 1978, bent so bad one rear wheel sat just off the ground - don't let anyone ever tell you a 428 inch motor is weak...LOL - the frame bent when the posi-track rearend hooked up hard after tires got good and hot.

If you don't see any airbag deployments, and the car is from somewhere far from New Orleans or Houston - you are probably OK. But outside of Carfax, you are on your own as far as I know...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
rkb

(Thread Starter)

Thanks, I am going to try and get mechanic friend to look at it and the carfax is great idea also.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:05 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)

another thing to ask for is photos

Often, post crash photos and ones taken during the repair can answer a host of questions. Not everyone will take them, though, and even if the adjuster, and the body shop, did, the owner might not have bothered to get copies, but it is worth asking.

N

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in