Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Windshield replacement. Can I save the upper reveal molding?

8K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  sandFJ90210 
#1 ·
Subject says it all.

My glass place says that they usually can't save the upper reveal molding so I should get another one ($175.58 plus shipping). But I watched a YouTube video where they removed the moulding and replaced it. So apparently it can be done.

I gather from the video that there are three or more clips securing the molding, but I can't really tell how they did it. Does anyone have experience with this?

Charlie

#2 ·
I’ve talked to some shops that have done FJs before and feel confident they can reuse the upper molding but ive also had my windshield replaced and they definitely had to get a new one. So it just depends

#3 ·
You can put it back on IF you can save the clips without damaging them. I couldn't save but two. However, I used the window sealant to stick the molding back where it belonged, in addition to the 2 clips I saved. It's still on 100K+ miles later.

I did this because Toyo doesn't sell just the clips - it's a new molding and clips your are buying.

I got a YUUUGE beef about all the wimpy clips used to put the FJ together. This is a perfect example where they could have BOLTED the molding in and used some nice black Allen head bolts to make it removable and repairable and off-roady looking. Or they could have used recessed bolts covered with snap in caps - anything except more dumb-as-dirt clips made by only Toyo...

#4 ·
I do remember I broke 3 clips prying up from front to back. Suggest you go slow, start at one end and pry up back side first, eyeball in the gap and then work each clip carefully. I had no idea those goofy clips were even there when I took mine off. I knew there were clips because I lost mine at 60K miles - it blew off. But the warranty covered it so I wasn't paying attention.

#7 ·
Colour me impressed! The guy at Safelite that did mine is a Toyota master mechanic and they still broke on him.

#10 ·
Wow! Only six hours later and I have several definitive replies. You guys are really on the ball!

Sincere thanks to all who replied. I now know exactly what needs to be done, which parts may be needed, and how to go about the job.

Charlie

#13 ·
Just make sure nothing is damaged. I had a place reuse the original but apparently they damaged the clips and didn't press the piece down enough after applying sealant. I was driving down a highway at about 60 MPH and all of a sudden I start hearing some strange noise and then watch as the piece flies off the FJ and almost hit a car behind me. When I retrieved the piece you could see where they applied the sealant but it looked like it would right out of the tube, no signs of compression against the glass. The clips were damaged as well.

#14 ·
I found the article I was talking about. It’s in “www.autoglassmagazine.net”, July/August 2007. There are quite a few pictures and good instructions. I tried bringing this to the attention of the people at safelite but they said their experience tells them the clips always break.

Edit: I can’t find it using google so I’m not sure I’d trust me on this one. Gilbert R. Gutierrez wrote it and he’s a legit writer in the auto glass world. I mean, I found and downloaded the PDF when I was searching about the clips and windshield replacement. It’s on the internet, so it’s just gotta be true...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Edit: I can’t find it using google so I’m not sure I’d trust me on this one. Gilbert R. Gutierrez wrote it and he’s a legit writer in the auto glass world. I mean, I found and downloaded the PDF when I was searching about the clips and windshield replacement. It’s on the internet, so it’s just gotta be true...
Is this it?

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/attachments/interior-exterior-visual-tech/989922d1517186088-upper-windshield-molding-general-question-save-fjc-glass-installation-instructions.pdf

#17 ·
Yep! That is it.
I found it with Google using the author's name and the article's title. The PDF comes from fjcruiserforums, but it's only the download link. It's probably from one of your old posts!

The internet is a funny old thing. Last week I was looking for a bipod mount for my AR-10BF, and when I searched images there were four, all of which I had posted in 2016!

Charlie

#20 ·
i've had my windshield replaced twice. my insurance covers the top molding replacement as part of the coverage (100$ deductible) so never had to worry about trying to save that piece when i've had them replace it. the safelite place where i've had both done, has a guy who has done a ton of fj windshield replacements and he said it's like a 50/50 shot if they can remove that molding without any damage. most often if it's the original factory piece (if it's your first time) then most likely it will get damaged. my second time, since i had the top molding replaced the first time, they actually were able to remove it successfully. i was in the shop waiting room and kind of could see through the window when the guy was taking it off. i heard a big cheer from all of the other mechanics when they saw he removed it without damage. was pretty funny.

but since my insurance does cover the replacement, i was like i would like that fresh piece installed and said they're welcome to keep the old one to use if somebody needed it. i guess it would really be important to try to save that piece if say, if was painted a different color (other than the standard white) to save the extra step of having that done.

unfortunately, i found out early on that my insurance will not cover an oem toyota windshield due to the cost or something like that. so my last two windshields have been a non-toyota brand.

#21 ·
"my last two windshields have been a non-toyota brand"

Let's all start a letter writing campaign to Corning to produce a Gorilla Glass FJ Windshield. They just announced one for the F150, and there are at least as many FJ Cruisers on the road as there are F150s, right?

Norm "cracked" Kerr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.