Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Designing New FJ Accesories

6K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  Martinirossi 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all!

It's been a while since I've posted, but I just got a new 3D printer and have decided to do some aftermarket part manufacturing. I can print objects up to 20 inches by 20 inches (roughly) out of a variety of materials; Including but not limited to Carbon Fiber infused Nylon, ABS, Nylon, so on and so forth. What are some things that you guys would want for your FJs that there's not a huge market for right now? Anything from custom trim pieces to badges could be made. I'm interested to hear everyone's requests

#2 ·
Probably too big for the 3D printer but one thing I haven't seen done is aftermarket door panel inserts

#4 ·
I too have a 3d printer, 7" cube

I have printed cup holder (the rubber one is too small for the yeti) and I also have a magnet on the bottom side to serve as a bolt/nuts holder

I really like the 07 FJ stereo volume knob, so I made a 3d model for the Climate control knob, sadly, the indicate light is not bright enough to be read.

I am working on a dual latch for the front hood/fuel door I still have some adjustment to make after a few test print.

After that I would probably do the shift knobs and transfer case. not sure if I like the aluminum ones because it can get hot or cold in summer/winter.

#5 ·
I have always wanted custom fog/accessory light covers. Specifically I have the Hella 500 lights and have never found anything other than the stock covers for them. Thought it would be cool to have something like the punisher logo or something along those lines on the cover instead or just "Hella"

#6 ·
That is definitely doable; I'll have to research around and get the dimensions of the Hella covers. I can't imagine it would be too hard though. Great suggestion! They would actually be more durable than the factory covers which feel pretty cheap to me.

I too have a 3d printer, 7" cube

I have printed cup holder (the rubber one is too small for the yeti) and I also have a magnet on the bottom side to serve as a bolt/nuts holder

I really like the 07 FJ stereo volume knob, so I made a 3d model for the Climate control knob, sadly, the indicate light is not bright enough to be read.

I am working on a dual latch for the front hood/fuel door I still have some adjustment to make after a few test print.

After that I would probably do the shift knobs and transfer case. not sure if I like the aluminum ones because it can get hot or cold in summer/winter.
Awesome!! Knobs are definitely on my radar for future prints and would be very easy to do custom designs on. For the hood clips are you using Carbon Fiber infused Polymer?

Probably too big for the 3D printer but one thing I haven't seen done is aftermarket door panel inserts
It could definitely be done in a modular format; however my concern there would be rattle while driving. I may be able to attach foam strips where the pieces line up to prevent that; but I will have to look into that one further. Great idea however!!

#7 ·
i am using all abs. i tried nylon, it is more flexible, but i cannot post process it (sand n paint)

the supports at the latch needs to be thicker/stronger. it broke too fast. i got lazy and didnt add the spring, so i need to manually push back the latch after opening it. i havent find the time to do it yet.

#11 ·
The FJ crowd might not be really into this stuff, but I am/forums/images/FJCruiser2/smilies/tango_face_smile.png. This is an engine dress up group made out of billet aluminum. This set is for a Dodge Ram made by Billet Technology. I would love to do this to my FJ engine bay. Currently they only do Dodge, Ram, Jeep.
View attachment 1098844
Oh yeah. I’d totally be into this if the price wasn’t too crazy. Looks awesome!

Dan

#10 ·
Want an iPhone cradle that will just sit on the dash, in front of the gauge pod, and support an iPhone oriented horizontally, at the correct viewing angle.

Cradle would key into the base of the gauge pod to prevent lateral sliding. I started to do this using a digitizing app that would create a 3D model of the gauge pod and surrounding dash surface, based on a series of still photos of the gauge pod from various angles, but ran into some software compatibility problems and didn't have time to debug it.

#19 ·
I'd like to have an adapter for the OEM Garmin dash unit.
The 3D part would be the size of the handheld Garmin and clip in to the pop-up holder.
The insert would have a way to hold current and future iPhone sizes, though I'm not sure of the best approach to hold the phone. Probably a simple adjustable jaw with knob to tighten it down instead of some fancy spring loaded thing

#21 ·
I am trying to make a 16 inch by 2 inch straight strip mount for my light bar on my front bumper...any chance you feel like a good weatherproofing applicantion is doable on a 3D printer? My wyotto bumper has the strangest lengths for mounting hardware and I’m having trouble getting anything to fit more exactly

#26 ·
I got sick of the worthless stock cargo hooks so I made these. Even printed out of PLA they will hold way more than you'll want to put on the 10mm bolt. ;) Orient the hook as it would sit in the truck, 100% infill, with supports, .2 layers. Lay the spacer down flat.

I like those! Are you interested in making more? If so pm me please

#25 ·
Might be pretty involved... I swapped the seats in my FJ and no longer have arm rests. The only real aftermarket center console/armrest accessories made is the Tuffy Console.

Bit overkill for my needs as I just want a usable storage space and arm rest that both diver and passenger can use and don't care about having a locking security console.

I don't have the design chops but I'd love to come up with something that has a cushion arm rest, hinged lid for storage in the console, and then maybe fold up or slide out cup holders for the rear passengers.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

#27 ·
I have a hankering for some more ergonomic shift knobs, and PLA would be noice to use as a material. The ATJ shifters are nice, but they are one flavor. You could also offer colors to match the various FJ paints. I was thinking ovoid, because there are a zillion round knobs, and the tubular stock knobs are strictly functional, but also tend to catch on things where an ovoid would slip by.

Or, you could print some allen head bolts in the ovoid that make it look like it is 2-part and bolted together - more 'offroadish'..??