Rear Storage Solutions (12 Articles) - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
How-To Technical Articles This is an extensive READ-ONLY compilation library of popular and informative “how to” articles for the FJ Cruiser. To submit or nominate a new Technical Article, please do so in the "Tech Articles Staging Area" section.

33Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rear Storage Solutions (12 Articles)

To read the original full thread and to post questions/comments on this topic, please go to https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...rage-rear.html

basic carcase built of cabinet grade plywood.

drawers (3) built and fitted.

Top fitted and set

remove back two tie downs and use a longer bolt to hold down the back,
the front is held down with 2 turnbuckles attached to the stock front tie
down loops.

Unfinished drawers and top.

Glued down heavy vinyl to top/deck install some flush wood handles
and painted a semi-gloss back.

Last edited by LandCruiserSteve; 11-22-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Forum Veteran

Rear Cargo Storage: Compilation of solutions

To read the original full thread and to post questions/comments on this topic, please go to https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ni-mi-box.html

First off I'd like to thank a few guys who inspired me to go forward w/ this project. LandCruiserSteve and Corey. Thanks a lot guys. It was your projects that inspired my own.

Here's the completed box. I went w/ a box only 7'' tall and the drawers are 5.25" tall. Mainly because I have a 130lb American Bulldog I haul around w/ me and I wanted to give him plenty of room.

The front portion has a carpet that goes over it, but it got wet in the rain. I'll update a picture later.

Last one. I moved the tie down points to the top of the box and used the original holes to fasten the box down to the truck body.

This is the false floor that covers the folded down seats. It's easy to remove when I have additional folks to ride in the back.

A side profile of it. The foot on the right is what levels the floor area.

One of two Footmans loops to attach the floor to the box. Compliments to Steve. I had never heard of one of these prior to his build. This was the hardest to track down of all the hardware. Try a Sail Boat specialty shop.

The back of the box. This shows the ledge again and the footmans loops. You'll notice I removed altogether the angled piece of plastic that sits between the cargo area and the seats.

A beauty shot. The drawers are 29" deep

Just another shot showing the drawer slides ((Blum Slides))

And another

Drawers Completed
Top Shelf

Underneath

Air Tools and Tire Kit

And one of the many reasons for the build.

If anyone has questions about measurements or anything at all feel free to inquire. I'll be happy to post plans for it.

Plans!

Last edited by LandCruiserSteve; 11-23-2007 at 09:11 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 09:26 AM

REAR CARGO STORAGE SOLUTIONS: Compilation of different members' builds

Details on the Tuffy FJCruiser items are now available on the Tuffy website.

Cargo Drawer: FJ Cruiser Security Drawer for Toyota FJ Cruiser - Theft Protection

All of the products are in production now and orders are being taken. Contact your local dealer or Tuffy with any questions.

Last edited by LandCruiserSteve; 11-23-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Rear Cargo Storage: Compilation of solutions

To read the original full thread and to post questions/comments on this topic, please go to https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...tml#post543835

I wanted to balance sleep area with storage space for adequate head room etc. So here goes nothin:

Here is the napkin stage:

I started with the 2X4 cross piece attachment to the truck. Turned out to be plenty of holding power:

Made a notch so as to fit flush:

Then I cut and assembled as per plans:

The side panels were the only parts that took some time to trial and error, cut and paste. I have a template that I would be happy to trace and send to anyone who might want to try this project.

I used overlapping piano hinges here (one screw through 2 hing holes, then into the 2x4):

Forgot to get a pic of the rear section by itself but here it is added onto the forward section by a single hinge:

Next, the indoor/outdoor carpeting:

Get some help from a buddy to lift the unit in from the rear:

It works for me. I use a twin air mattress and sleeping bag and I sleep better than at home!

Steve
TLCA 14294
KJ6DAA

http://1971fj40.blogspot.com/

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true."
Demosthenes c.383-322 BC

Last edited by LandCruiserSteve; 11-23-2007 at 09:10 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 06:34 AM
The Laughing Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thumbs up REAR CARGO STORAGE SOLUTIONS: Compilation of different members' builds

To read the original full thread and post questions/comments on this topic, please go to https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...t-you-box.html and https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...l-wrap-up.html

I began planning this project about a month before I even bought my FJ. And, it was about two months in the designing and actual building stage (a lot of hit & miss) when time permitted.

I wanted a rear storage unit that would meet this criteria:

Cost under $200 total. (I was too cheap to go out and buy something already built. Plus, there were no aftermarket systems that provided exactly what I wanted and needed.)

Be a modular system that could either be used as a rear cargo area storage box only, or a full-length system that could occupy the back seat area as well. (Since I had no use for the back seats, I removed them completely shortly after the FJ’s purchase. However, the cargo area only module could be used for those wishing to retain their back seats.)

Be sturdy enough to carry anything from off-road recovery equipment, to tools and parts, to camping gear, to miscellaneous supplies and gadgetry.

Be completely removable and returned to stock configuration if desired.

Use existing OEM bolt and mounting holes without any cutting, drilling or otherwise molesting the FJ’s original state.

Follow the contours of the FJ’s interior design.

Be professionally-built looking (even though I’m not a professional, nor do I play one on TV).

Supplies required:

Two 4x8 sheets of ¾” plywood.

About 40 feet of ¾” aluminum angle.

2 sets of 24” heavy-duty drawer sliders.

One and a half 6’ x 8’ rolls of gray indoor/outdoor carpeting (from Home Depot @$15.95 a roll).

Carpet adhesive.

Miscellaneous hardware and screws.

I began by building the rear drawer storage box with a center divider and pre-installed the drawer sliders. The box was carpeted prior to installation in the truck. Aluminum angle iron was installed along all edge surfaces and filed smooth. (I used 3" L-brackets to set up the shape of the box until the actual 2" wood screws were installed from the outside.)

I removed the rear tie-down hooks and used their holes as the rear attachment points for the box. (I installed the previously removed tie-down hooks on the forward section of the box to secure it with a pair of turnbuckles to the other set of tie-down hooks.)

Two drawers were built, carpeted, and aluminum angled.

The forward module was created by first cutting to size a base platform that slid snugly up against the rear divider wedge. To level the platform perfectly, I attached pedestal shims along its front base.

The sides of the forward module were installed to meet the height of the rear box, and the front face panel was attached. Upon completion of the structure, I removed the entire forward module to carpet and aluminum angle the edges.

The forward module was re-installed and secured to the side bolt holes that were previously occupied by the back seat attach points. The front of the forward module was secured to existing bolt holes under where the back seats once were. (Eventually, a pair of filler panels were built to fill the spaces between the rear and forward storage boxes.)

The forward module top surface area was measured and a top was created, notched for contour, carpeted and aluminum angled.

The open-able top was attached to the face of the rear storage box with a 45” heavy-duty continuous “piano hinge.” (I’m awaiting the arrival of a flush-mounted lockable latch handle for securing the forward lid when closed, and a pair of hatch struts to hold the lid open when in use.)

(Continued in next post.)

Steve Bolander

'07 FJ Cruiser

TLCA #6727 / UFWDA

Last edited by LandCruiserSteve; 07-10-2010 at 06:58 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 06:35 AM
The Laughing Member

Re: "The BOX" . . . . full-length modular storage system for the FJ.

But, wait . . . . there’s more!!

Here’s something to sleep on . . . . .

With the front seats all the way forward, there’s an additional 19” of space that could easily be filled by an additional panel. So, I did.

I attached a pair of footman loops to the front section of the forward module, and fabricated a pair of aluminum L-brackets / slot-hooks to the rear of the additional panel. And, attached a pair of ½” threaded female pipe flanges to the front of the panel.
Screwed into the flanges are a pair of painted steel “legs” that provide forward support for the panel. (Rubber cushion tips for the bottom of the legs.)

Now I have a 72” long sleep surface that (snugly) accommodates an inflatable full-size bed air mattress and allows the rear door to close.

Edit: Correction . . . turns out this is a queen-size mattress. See Post #30.

When the sleep panel is not in service, the legs remove and clip to the bottom of the panel. And, the panel itself stores perfectly into the base of the forward module box.

I’m 6’ 4” and 250 pounds, and the bed fits me quite nicely, with plenty of room to spare.

Well, that’s it. During the course of building, a few scuffs found their way to the interior plastic. However, I came in well under budget. And, the storage boxes and drawers do exactly what I had envisioned.

Time for a rest . . . . .

Part 2 of this project continues in:
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...l-wrap-up.html

Steve Bolander

'07 FJ Cruiser

TLCA #6727 / UFWDA
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 06:38 AM
The Laughing Member

Here are the basic dimensions of the entire set-up:

Disclaimer: The following measurements were for the unit that I built for my particular FJ. The actual size may vary for yours. And, the thickness of the carpet, the angle aluminum and your individual construction style may have an effect on dimensions as well.

So, I suggest that you just use the above dimensions as a base reference only. As they say, "measure twice / cut once."

All wood is (true) 3/4" plywood

Rear drawer box (exterior dimensions)
42"w x 10 1/4"h x 27 1/4"d (with a 3/4" thick divider mounted dead center).

Drawers x2 (exterior dimensions)
19"w x 8 1/4"h x 25 1/2"d, with the face panel being 1" taller to allow 1/2" overlap at the top and bottom of the the front of the drawer.
Note: Drawers must have exactly 1/2" clearance on each side to accomodate the thickness of the sliders. And, you'll probably have to notch the 1" front aluminum facing over the center divider to allow clearance of the drawers and sliders opening.

Forward storage box
Base platform: 45"w x 20 1/2"d.
Side panels x2: 6"h x 19"d (with a 1" 45 degree notch at the lower rear).
Front-to-rear filler panels x2: 6"h x 11"d.
Front panel: 45"w x 10 3/4"h.
Top / lid: 45" w x 24"d (with 2" 45 degree notches at the rear).

Sleep Platform
40 1/2" w x 18 1/2" d.
Total leg height (including mounting flange and cushion tip) from bottom of panel to floor: 18 1/4"h.

To be on the safe side, I highly suggest that you tape off any areas of your plastic interior that may come in contact with the units during installation. (I learned the hard way by putting a couple of nasty nicks above the rear interior wheel wells.)

Also, shims may be required for precision alignment and height adjustment of the front and rear storage areas.

Good luck. And, if you have any questions or get stumped along the way, feel free ask away.

Steve Bolander

'07 FJ Cruiser

TLCA #6727 / UFWDA
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 06:39 AM
The Laughing Member

I have since replaced the simple slide latches on the drawers to the heavier-duty rotating style. Substantially more secure and completely removed "drawer bounce."

Also, I installed the OEM tie-down hooks on top of the rear section for securing a variety of items. (https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...groceries.html)

jerbearyukon likes this.

Steve Bolander

'07 FJ Cruiser

TLCA #6727 / UFWDA
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 06:41 AM
The Laughing Member

Okay, a final wrap-up of a few more things that has now completed the "BOX" project.
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...t-you-box.html

I initially tried a hatch/window strut to keep the forward storage box lid open, but even the lightest-duty strut I could find was overkill and popped that sucker open like a catapult. So, I went with a pair of Stanley adjustable-friction chest lid prop supports. ($5.95 each. Mounting location template is included with the supports.)

I installed a rounded low-profile handle for the forward lid, and added a flush-mounted key lock (1 1/8" long cylinder to account for the 3/4" lid thickness, carpeting and lower hardware).

For additional hold-down support, I fabricated a pair of 1" aluminum brackets that attach to the bottom of the forward storage box and bolt onto the exisiting previous rear seat mounting holes.

I added four FJC tie-down hooks to the top of the rear storage area (ice chest, additional storage boxes, etc.). A small notch had to be cut on the rear panel of the two drawers to permit opening/closing with the slightly protruding underside hardware of the tie-downs.

And, to answer the numerous PM inquires about the contraption mounted on the front of the forward storage box, it's an electrical remote-activated shotgun lock/rack system.

A disguised button on/near the dash releases the spring-loaded lock and allows quick removal of the weapon. (Supplied keys can also open the lock manually.) They're about $90-$130 from most law enforcement supply companies (i.e, Gall's).

Again, if you're undertaking this project (or something similar to it), please feel free to ask any questions you might have. Thank you again for your appreciation of this little endevour.

For the version of this thread that includes all readers' questions and comments, go to https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...t-you-box.html and https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...l-wrap-up.html
jerbearyukon and asnobody like this.

Steve Bolander

'07 FJ Cruiser

TLCA #6727 / UFWDA
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
REAR CARGO STORAGE SOLUTIONS: Compilation of different members' builds

To read the original full thread of Corey's Build-Up and to post questions/comments on this topic, please go to https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-few-mods.html

Back around August of 2001 I had a Boeing carpenter measure the cargobay of my '91 4Runner for a cargobox.
In the last picture below you can see the dimensions of it.

After taking delivery of the FJ Cruiser back in July of '06, the next day I put the cargobox in it.
It was a pretty close fit, and it suits the rig fine.

If I was having another one made, I would have it built to fill out the sides and rear a little more to provide more room in the box, but it works out great as you will see in the pictures below.

I like to carry a lot of tools with me such as a socket set, a set of screwdrivers, a Craftsman heavy duty impact wrench, impact sockets, ratchet wrenches, you get the idea, I like to be prepared for emergency repairs.

The carbobox also is a home base for my Powertank and one of my fire extinguishers, and also the Engle Slide-Loc that holds the ARB fridge/freezer for now.
Eventually I want to move the Slide-Loc to the rear left seatback, or take the seat out entirely to put the fridge to free up some space back aft.

Last edited by LandCruiserSteve; 11-23-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Closed Thread

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > FJ Cruiser Technical Articles & Buyers Guides > How-To Technical Articles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in