REAR DOOR INSIDE RELEASE: Mod. w/pics - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
How-To Technical Articles This is an extensive READ-ONLY compilation library of popular and informative “how to” articles for the FJ Cruiser. To submit or nominate a new Technical Article, please do so in the "Tech Articles Staging Area" section.

3Likes
  • 3 Post By sonof40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
REAR DOOR INSIDE RELEASE: Mod. w/pics

To read the original full thread and post questions/comments on this topic, please go to https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...cs-follow.html

Decided to do this so I can escape out the back when camping.

Page WW-38 and ED-48 of the online manual show how to remove cover

This location is important so that the rod can have free movement but eyeballing from pic will work.

Drill large enough for movement of rod. We will enlarge it later.

This is a 16' piece of Aluminum rod. This one is 5mm but 3/16" is good. I had this laying around but I saw it at the local hardware store. Pretty common. If anyone lives close I have plenty of it.

I tapped it so as to put a light switch knob on it but any press-on type thingy you have laying around will work. Be creative. Drill a hole in a button.

Just to make it fit better.

Not sure where this grommet with a hole in it came from. I collect things like this in parking lots etc. But it acts as a guide for the rod through the sill. Also pictured are the light switch button and two (one would work) "wire rope clips" P/N 9414855 from OSH 2 each 3/16" I recommend these.

The 16 inches is necessary.

Looking up, inside and under the door cover

Shave off even a little more than what the pic shows.

BEFORE drilling, with rod in position, replace door cover as much as you can with enough room to reach in from the bottom of the cover and push the rod up against the cover so as to make some sort of mark for the drill spot. You might even ink the rod tip first. This is important because of the space between the sill and cover. After you drill in the plastic, go back and make the metal hole larger so that the plastic hole does the guiding and for less chance of rod rubbing the side of the metal hole.

Added the clamps and a spring (found one, probably another parking lot or it could be off my FJ40 clutch now that I think about it.) The spring isn't vital but provides a nice secure feel to the action.

closer

closest

I like the plastic back on for the same reason it was put there in the first place. What that is, I'm not sure:-)

Fit the cover back on over the rod. Slide grommet over.

Cap. You don't need it to operate the door but it looks cool.

There are other options: Mount a solenoid to the elbow of the existing bar and wire it to your rear window two-way switch (Swiss's mod) Use the small square section of the door cover (seen in pic #7) opposite the area where I put the wire rope clips (the one that appears useless) and install a lever attached to the existing rod.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0750.jpg
Views:	986
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	18485  

Steve
TLCA 14294
KJ6DAA

http://1971fj40.blogspot.com/

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true."
Demosthenes c.383-322 BC

Last edited by LandCruiserSteve; 12-24-2007 at 02:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > FJ Cruiser Technical Articles & Buyers Guides > How-To Technical Articles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in