FRONT SWAYBAR COLLAR: Mod. w/pics - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
How-To Technical Articles This is an extensive READ-ONLY compilation library of popular and informative “how to” articles for the FJ Cruiser. To submit or nominate a new Technical Article, please do so in the "Tech Articles Staging Area" section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FRONT SWAYBAR COLLAR: Mod. w/pics

To read the original full thread and post questions/comments on this topic, please go to https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ollar-mod.html

This idea isn't totally mine. I'm almost POSITIVE that the swaybar link failure issue is due to swaybar shift from factory collars coming loose. Dustpark ordered some collars to replace the cheap ones on the swaybar. I took some measurements and decided to have my machinist make some super beefy collars. The swaybar diameter at the collar point measures between 1.135" and 1.165". I drew up a sketch of a collar for my machinist and this is what he spit out for me in about 3 hours. He made them out of solid steel bar stock. He cut four of them for me. I'll be beta testing a set and so will Frogeye.

ID=1.150" OD=2.500" Thickness=1.00" The cap bolts are 5/16" Grade
Attachment 16977

The crappy aluminum collars I cut off. (With a jab saw mind you.)
Attachment 16978

Passenger Side
Attachment 16979

Driver Side
Attachment 16980
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5345.JPG
Views:	701
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	18603   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5346.JPG
Views:	642
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	18604   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5352.JPG
Views:	1408
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	18605   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5355.JPG
Views:	1144
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	18606  

"OLLIE" (AKA: FU-OLLIE)
K6JYB / "Head Butcher"

Check Out "OLLIE's" FJ:

Last edited by LandCruiserSteve; 12-28-2007 at 03:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)
First Test Complete

I purposely ran my FJ pretty hard today on some decent woops and up and down some loose and rutted climbs and my swaybar is still locked solid with the new collars.

With a 2.5" collar we discovered from Frogeye's install that the collar hits the frame of the passenger side about 3/16" shy of mating up next to the bushing. The collar needs to be trimmed down or have a shoulder machined into it. If you are running a spacer like the DRs do then there won't be an issue with clearance.

K6JYB / "Head Butcher"

Check Out "OLLIE's" FJ:

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Re: O&B Fab Front Swaybar Collar Mod

Quote:
DustPark previously said: View Post
Ollie These Pics are different then mine. You have even clearence on both sides, so it looks.
Brent,
I have the DR spacers on both sides. And you are correct, my swaybar has even spacing all the way around. I measured the spacing between the swaybar (at the coil) and the frame to center it up.

Quote:
Shadow-Warrior previously said: View Post
I have a stupid question, because I haven't crawled up under the front and looked at the stock collars yet. My question is, wouldn't it be better to just leave the existing stock collars on, then using the new ones as a safe gaurd "beefing up" as opposed to cutting off the stock collars? Or is there not enough room to keep the stock and the new ones on too? Thanks
I tell my troops there isn't such a thing as a stupid question... If you use the collars Dustpark (Brent) used to reinforce the stock collars you will be fine and you won't have to worry about them rubbing the frame if you are not running a suspension set-up requiring swaybar spacers. The difference between Brent's collars and mine is the thickness. He's running a 5/8" thick collar with a smaller cap screw. The collars I am beta testing are 1" thick. The radius of the bend in the swaybar is too close to the mount bracket to allow you to run the factory aluminum collar as well. At 1" thick the collar gives you a back up feature. If the collar bolts should back out or the collars should come loose the swaybar won't be able to shift more than maybe a 1/4" either way if your lucky. The radius in the bend of the swaybar will run into the collar not allowing in the travel any further.

In summary... If you run with the stock collars, you need to run with a 5.8" thick back-up collar. If you remove the stock collars, a 1" thick collar seems to be the way to go.

K6JYB / "Head Butcher"

Check Out "OLLIE's" FJ:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
FJ CRUZER previously said: View Post
is the diagram above on the spec's we should order ?
Depends on what you want to do. The actual diameter of the swaybar is 1.150". 1-1/8" equates to 1.125". You might have to hawg them out a bit. I prefer a wider collar, as you can see from my earlier posts.

K6JYB / "Head Butcher"

Check Out "OLLIE's" FJ:

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
SoCalOcFj previously said: View Post
I would like to purchase a set of these! My drivers side link is whacking my coil spring. Just the idea that it has been doing that bugs the crap out of me.

Please let me know how I can get a set these.

Thanks MudlovingFj for letting me know about this thread!
Quote:
gon2srf previously said: View Post
I've never seen a driver side link whack anything. Can you take some pics and post them.
CoCalOcFJ is running the ProComp 6" lift. He sent me an email with pics last night. I've reviewed them and the mount brackets for the swaybar relocation on the ProComp lift move the swaybar mounting clamps inboard. The clamps actually set right at the bend radius of the swaybar. That should limit the sideward shift because the clamps at the radius effectively lock the bar in place (as I've tried to do with the thickness of the collars I had machined). Whoever installed his lift chould have just cut the factory collars off but instead they just knocked them down the swaybar. Now they are hitting the bushing on each side. See picture below:

Attachment 17199
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ProComp.jpg
Views:	1093
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	18607  

K6JYB / "Head Butcher"

Check Out "OLLIE's" FJ:

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
DustPark previously said: View Post
Ya, that swaybar is locked... Have him send us a pic of the other side. That would say alot. The swaybar is not even with the frame. Balance is everthing.
Actually the swaybar is centered very well. He sent me 19 pics from different angles on both sides. The swaybar links are even lined up straight and true. With the extreme lift and the large coils he is getting contact between the swaybar and coil at extreme travel. It probably don't help that the coils on most of these lift systems are located at the bottom of the coilover setup. Some of them are the full length of the coilover setup. When a coil this long compresses it can bow one direction or the other during compression causing it to come in contact with the link mount bolts.

Attachment 17200 Attachment 17201
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sway Bar brackets 014.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	18608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sway Bar brackets 001.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	18609  

K6JYB / "Head Butcher"

Check Out "OLLIE's" FJ:

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
JoeUser previously said: View Post
Just to be clear, I can mount rings next to the stock retainer rings, right? Just to act as backups, in case the stock retainers fail?

If not, how easy is it to remove the stock rings? Will the sway bar have to be removed?
Yes you can. Some people have even used stainless hose clamps to reinforce factory collars.

The factory collars are like peuter. You can use a screwdriver as a chisel to split them and knock them off. It's pathetic how cheap they actually are.

K6JYB / "Head Butcher"

Check Out "OLLIE's" FJ:

Closed Thread

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > FJ Cruiser Technical Articles & Buyers Guides > How-To Technical Articles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in