Winch Interrupt Switch - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
How-To Technical Articles This is an extensive READ-ONLY compilation library of popular and informative how to articles for the FJ Cruiser. To submit or nominate a new Technical Article, please do so in the "Tech Articles Staging Area" section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Winch Interrupt Switch

To read the original full thread and post questions/comments on this topic, please go to https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...r-cut-off.html

Decided to use a battery cut-off switch to take out power to my winch. Didn't want any tree-huggers to go to town on my FJ's roof. The switch itself is a Hella Battery Master Disconnect, rated for continuous 150 amp, and a surge amp rating of 1,000 amps. The wiring itself is real simple, just run the cable connect from the winch to one post, and another cable from your battery to the other post (see pic #3).

Here's the information for one similar to the one I used.
Welcome to the Hella marine Online Product Catalogue - Hella marine

Titan Winch brought up a valid safety concern about the switch possibly failing under the varying draw currents from winch to winch. So, take this under consideration when/if applying a battery disconnect. I plan on taking a look at some of Hella's higher rated switches to see if can be made applicable for my use.
Welcome to the Hella marine Online Product Catalogue - Hella marine

Was concerned about the switch just dangling out in the open in the engine compartment, so I decided to enclose it. Modified/cut a Radio Shack project box to fit.

Drilled a couple holes on each side of the enclosure, allowing the cables leading to the winch and another cable to the battery access to the switch.

All closed up and mounted. I thought about applying silicon and making the enclosure completely water tight, but decided it really wasn't necessary. Instead, I drilled a couple drainage holes at the bottom facing side of the box.

No juice.

EDIT: Here are some more switch options.
Blue Water Marine Service - 720 HEAVY DUTY BATTERY SWITCH

http://www.mermaidmarine.com/documen...battswitch.pdf

Last edited by LandCruiserSteve; 04-17-2008 at 05:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > FJ Cruiser Technical Articles & Buyers Guides > How-To Technical Articles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in