TEMPERATURE CONTROL KNOB MODIFICATION: Limits Max A/C - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
How-To Technical Articles This is an extensive READ-ONLY compilation library of popular and informative “how to” articles for the FJ Cruiser. To submit or nominate a new Technical Article, please do so in the "Tech Articles Staging Area" section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
TEMPERATURE CONTROL KNOB MODIFICATION: Limits Max A/C

To read the original full thread and post questions/comments, please go to https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...nce-fixed.html

10,000 miles and I still don't have the hang of the Max A/C function. Every time I want to vent cooler outside air I turn the dial just a bit too far and suddenly the air conditioning and recirculation kick on and I'm freezing and pressing buttons.

As someone said before: if want to turn on the A/C, I'll press the button, thank you.

So I ripped off the knob and looked at the back, and determined that if I built up a nub of hot melt glue on the stop, the knob would not turn to the point where the Max A/C function kicked in. It's a no-brainer but nobody has mentioned this here before (at least in my search).

Took me two tries to get just the right thickness, but it works like a champ. If I want Max A/C I turn the knob to where it now stops, then press the recirc and A/C; just like it was on my Tacoma. If all I want is cooler air, I flick the knob without concern that it will kick in A/C.

Now, someone is going to complain that the knob is not turning to its extreme so I'm not getting optimal cooling even after pressing both buttons. I doubt that is so; and it is plenty cold regardless. The hot melt glue may not hold up indefinitely but it is easy to reapply and a more permanent fix could be done with epoxy.

Edit: 14 months later, and fix is holding up great.

Titanium Metallic, 4x4 AT, CQ, A-TRAC button and A-TRAC plus locker hack, All Pro bumper, Bajarack, IPF 968's, Trail-Gear sliders, Chinese Snorkel, Scuba Driver Mod, Ricochet Bash Plate and Engine skid, BFG MTs on extra alloys, Bilstein 5100 Shocks all around, DeeZee Ladder, Daystar 1.5" spacers in back, Avic-D3, Dove Gray Katzkin leather seats, dual horns, cargo door interior lock/window switch, Max A/C fix, all beeps silenced, map lights, simpleshifters knobs, matte black hood decal

Last edited by LandCruiserSteve; 04-18-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > FJ Cruiser Technical Articles & Buyers Guides > How-To Technical Articles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in