What happened to toyota since 1975? - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
I'd Like to Tell Toyota... This is for constructive suggestions to be made to Toyota regarding the FJ Cruiser. This is a flame free forum and heavily moderated.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: What happened to toyota since 1975?

Close to 50,000 members here and we are the exception?
You really aren't making much sense.
By the way
Why would you want to put a chevy small bock in a perfectly fine FJ 40?

It can't be to improve something. They are perfect, as they are.

Do you really think you can't put a v-8 in a cruiser? I'm not saying Chevy small block, because I would try to stick with a Toyota V-8
I love old land cruisers . That doesn't mean I wouldn't want my Cruiser too.

"The Rock"
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...8490-rock.html

WikidfJ Partially retired
Wikid link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
muleskinner previously said: View Post
What the hell happened to Toyota quality? After reading through this forum I'm not sure if I want to purchase Toyota's replacement for my dear old Landcruiser now!

From reading your post I wouldn't recommend you buy a Toyota either. Period.

Have a Nice Day

Jerry

2012 TTSE

"The problems we have created cannot be solved at the same level of thinking that created them." Albert Einstein
post #13 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
The vehicle was basic, made of steel, not plastic and was tough as nails. And yes I would have seen the problems that they had, as i was a dealership service technician for thirty years. Started in 1969 before most of you folks were born I'm sure. We had a Toyota dealership in the group I was with also. I spoke with the Toyota techs all of the time, was in the loop as far as landcruiser enthusiasts and did a lot of work with the old Downey off road guys. Back then we put small block Chevy motors in them. Try that today with your FJ's.

Hopefully the new FJ will fair as well thirty five years from now. But some how I don't think so. The vehicles of today are "Throw a ways." Go try and buy a super clean cruiser from that era. It will cost you at least $18,000.00 to buy a nice clean one. I wonder if today's version will hold it's value like that? Some how I don't think so.

It's obvious that you folks are proud of your FJ's, as were we with our "Cruisers" back then. We were at war with the Jeep guys all of the time. But hey, back then a Jeep was a Jeep. Not some plastic throw away like todays version.
While I am about the same age as you, I don't have any delusions about the quality of vehicles from the 70s - which by most automotive standards was one of the worst decades for quality before or after. I've been wrenching on all makes and models for almost 45 years, and the older FJs, like vitually every mechanical item ever produced, had their issues - even if you say yours did not.

The reason folks dropped Chev V-8s into the FJ-40 was because the 2F motors were gutless, very heavy, and had issues at altitude, very poor fuel efficiency (important on the trail, considering the smaller tank) and parts were not always readily available in remote locations - not the case with the popular, common GM V-8s. The V-6 in the FJ will outrun the old Chev V-8 - both in power, and in reliability - so the swap is moot for normal use. A simple 4 hour supercharger install will leave the V-8 in the dust, and maintain Toyota reliability, something a Chev V-8 can't do. As for the old Jeeps being "tough", well, that's garbage IMO, too. They were (and are, IMHO ) hugely unreliable, had frames that would tweek from a speed bump, axles that spin off wheel hubs, clutch linkages that self-destructed from normal use, a body that rusted from talking about water, and the comfort of a forklift. Freeway driving ? Fugetaboutit. But they were inexpensive and easier to obtain than a Landcruiser, and repairs and parts were readily available anywhere. Remember "Just Empty Every Pocket ??

As for a good condition FJ selling for 18K, well so does a new KIA. If you adjust for inflated dollars over that 35 years, well, not as impressive. Hey, I'd love to have a pristine 40 in my driveway, and 15-20k would be well spent; but because I'm a fan, and it's a classic, not because of some intrinsic value to 35 year old sheet metal or technology. Restored and well-kept vehicles always hold value to the collector and enthusiast, especially vehicles that saw very limited production compared to the norm.

From 1973 to 1983, Toyota sold 70,379 FJ40s, 55s, and 60s total. They sold more than 111,395 FJ Cruisers in the first 2 years. So, it may take awhile to thin down the volume to "classic" level - after all, scarcity adds to value, and that is the primary reason a restored 40 series holds it's value.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, I guess. But it doesn't take much of a glance on forums that deal with Jeeps, or FJ 40s, or any classic vehicle, to see the myriad of issues older technology had and has. The good old days, well, to me depends what you are comparing them to - but mostly they are just the old days to me . I loved to play with my 40, but I can still do it all, and in comfort, with my FJC...

" I'm not aware of too many things, but I know what I know, if you know what I mean..."

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... that way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes..."

W6LPB / WPOK492

TLCA #9632

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Nelson4568

its all how you take care of your car, put good in, get good out...as for the plastic the only plastic are the bumpers which can be replaced with steel ones if you choose...the interior...well thats a different story...as for problems ive experienced some transmission slips in my automatic, so its been no smooth ride, but not a bad one.....yet
post #15 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Strange. The question I posted was why are all the people on this forum complaining about problems they have experienced on their FJ's. THAT is what I am talking about! It is easy to see there are a lot of over the top, thin skinned, young, don't talk bad about my FJ, people here. Just look at this particular sub forum. "What I would tell Toyota." Well I ain't seen any one stating any great things here! Seems they are all complaining about things that need to be improved. THAT is where I got my information. From your own forum members' posts! I said you people that responded to my thread that think they are the holly grail must be in the minority. Not the whole forum community! Read my post!

I came to this forum to study the FJ and ascertain if I wanted to possibly buy one. Instead, I get attacked by a bunch of ass holes that take offense regarding their beloved vehicle. It was YOUR forum members that were complaining. Not me! I have owned twelve Toyota vehicles over the years. All purchased new. Most 4X4 trucks. I was just considering an FJ. I investigate vehicles before I buy them. It's YOUR forum members that are bashing them. Not me.

And by the way, here is a link to an ad on a classic Landcruiser site that lists a 1979 that sold two years ago for $46,000.00. That's more than a new FJ. Any guess what it's worth now? Call the number and find out.http://www.vintageoffroad.com/viewvehicle.cfm?id=927

Like old 60's muscle cars, the new versions will never gain in price like they did. Throw a way vehicles. The old Landcruiser was basic, strong and got you there. No it did not have all the new computer bells and whistles, but for an off road vehicle, who wants them! And yes, domestic vehicles in the 70's and 80's were junk. That is why Toyota and Honda kicked their asses! I would have thought the FJ, that is built in Japan, would have been better. Unlike their other Toyota counter parts that are built here. They have LOT'S of quality problems. We saw that back in the 90's when Toyota brought truck production over here to the Fremont, CA plant.

Here's your sign!

Last edited by muleskinner; 06-27-2011 at 10:39 PM.
post #16 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1868 Post(s)

Quote:
Here's your sign!
is funny how your so quick to hand out signs amoungst the most sound advice here. its obvious to many in this thread that you've apparently missed your own signs, so I'll repost them for you.

Quote:
Wikid previously said: View Post
In 1975 did you have access to the interweb?
Quote:
Wikid previously said: View Post
Close to 50,000 members here and we are the exception?
post #17 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I'm confused. You came here to say you were thinking about getting an FJ, but now that you've read that they have problems, unlike your old Land Cruiser, you've decided not to get one. OK... So, you bash the FJ, which is cool. And then you get mad when the bastions of the FJ defend her? That doesn't make any sense. If you hit a bee hive, expect the bees to swarm.... duh.

Thank you for noticing that I'm an ass hole. I was starting to worry that I was turning too nice. So again, thank you for pointing out my short comings in the realm of social niceties.

Now, to the point. FJ's have problems. The problems they have are more like speed bumps, not brick walls. The gas tank on a Gremlin.... that was a brick wall. Inner fender buldges/tears, they suck, but they wont stop you. I'm thinking maybe you might have been expecting something that was made for a movie. You never have to put gas in it, or change the oil, or reload your gun. Sh!t breaks. It happens. All you can do is fix it and move on. Or don't fix it. I wont loose any sleep over it.

And as to the price, I think you're not taking into account inflation here. I have no clue what the original prices were, but a $5,000 car in 1972 would cost you about $25,000 today.... Or another way of looking at it, that $18,000 you would spend on a vintage FJ today (with what that much is worth today), should you travel back in time to 1972 when that FJ was built, if you were to spend the same "valued quantity" of money, it would be like $3,500. It's kind of like gold. The Land Cruiser of yore had a value to the people, and the "paper currency" price rises proportionally with inflation. So really the value doesn't ever change. Only the dollar.

So the moral of this story is this. Collectible anythings come with a price tag and the demand dictates that price. And you should be more nice.

Chris

"It's lonely being a cannibal. Tough making friends."

2007 Black Diamond FJ Cruiser, Auto, 4wd, Toytec Ultimate 3" lift, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, TheToyOutfitters LCA, Procomp Series 87 Steelies Painted White, 285/75 R16 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws, Trail Gear Sliders, TheToyOutfitters Custom Front Bumper, Snorkel, Outrider Lower Link Armor
www.TRDParts4U.com

Last edited by Capt Sensible; 06-27-2011 at 10:51 PM.
post #18 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
lqdchkn previously said: View Post
is funny how your so quick to hand out signs amoungst the most sound advice here. its obvious to many in this thread that you've apparently missed your own signs, so I'll repost them for you.
YOU sir must have a problem reading and understanding basic English. Re-read my first and last posts and you might understand what I am saying.
post #19 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
YOU sir must have a problem reading and understanding basic English. Re-read my first and last posts and you might understand what I am saying.
Everyone in here needs to

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
To see what me and Roux have been up to, check out our instagram page: Laytonsky
-Layton

TLCA# 20623
post #20 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 10:48 PM

Dude, Take your $18000 and just go buy an old cruiser. You obviously don't like the new ones because they are junk. It's obvious your trying to get a reaction out of people and you have succeeded!!! If you are in love with the old ones so much, look for a clean one and buy it. I'm into Broncos way more than I am my FJ. I just bought my second, a '79, two weeks ago. If Ford came out with a Bronco, I'd probably sell my FJ to get it. In the meantime, I'll love my FJ because it's the vehicle for me. The FJ is obviously not for you. You don't like them and that is fine. Thanks for checking out the forum and good luck to you.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > I'd Like to Tell Toyota...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in