The Key - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
I'd Like to Tell Toyota... This is for constructive suggestions to be made to Toyota regarding the FJ Cruiser. This is a flame free forum and heavily moderated.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: The Key

Quote:
FJC Scout 1 previously said: View Post
The listing says it will work with 07. We only have 2 buttons up front, and the panic in back, but the list shows a three button key. Maybe the buttons are moveable to fill the three spots?
Or not, now looking at both the 07 fob and the listing on the PC, the buttons are a completely different shape...

-Steve
Scout is: Titanium Metallic '07 AT 4x4, Rear Locker, A-Trac. Mods: 3" Old Man Emu lift*Metal-Tech Outpost Offroad Sliders*Amaesing Custom Hood Decal*PRGSnorkel* Oregon OHV Permit*33" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs*Springtail Pet Barrier*Color Matched Grill Bezel (Badged with USCG, 2011 FJCF and NWFJCC)*Ellis Precision custom grab handles and shift knobs*Expedition One Trail Series Diamond Style front Bumper*Engo e9000 winch*Expedition One Rear Bumper w/Swingout, Industrial Forming Roll Top console cover! In the garage: FJNewb's Scuba Mod Kit Coming soon:
TLCA #21668 Cascade Cruisers affiliation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would just be happy if the A-hole who took my keys off the counter at the gas station would return them,not only house key,gate key,FJ key but also one of my dogtags was on there.

Veni,Vidi,Vici

Only for those with True Grit

post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to jcollinson

Quote:
Gonzo previously said: View Post
I would just be happy if the A-hole who took my keys off the counter at the gas station would return them,not only house key,gate key,FJ key but also one of my dogtags was on there.
UH OH!, NO GOOD.

2007 FJ Cruiser, Nitto Terra Grapplers, K&N Aluminum CAI, 4-6" ProComp Long Range up top, 2-5" ProComp Driving Lights on front Grille Guard, Rear Rack Lights, AVIC-D3 with Bluetooth and XM Radio, 12" 2000W Rockford Fosgate Sub & 2000W Amp, Custom-built Sub Box with Line-X coating, ScanGuage II.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Garage

Wow, this took off. I will definitely report back when mine comes in.

So the 2007's have a separate fob and key? That could be an issue. You could find one that would fit your electronics, but the chip in the key base would probably be a lost cause. I don't see how the 2011 one could be in anything else except this electronics package..I attached a pic (crappy cell phone, too lazy to dig out camera).
Attached Images

"Autobot Brawn"
2011 NSSE AT

post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 02:40 PM

I realize having the key & remote separate may be aggrivating at times but I gotta tell ya, having it seperate is cheaper that all in one. one suggestion is getting a key cut, just A blank metal cut key to open the doors. then when you dont want to carry whole set, hide your keys in the truck, put the metal key in your wallet or wherever.... We do this when we go kayaking, key gets stapped into lifevest. Doesnt matter if it gets wet or anything. just another suggestion. metal key=5-10$. Much cheaper.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Garage
That's a good idea. I just use my valet key for that on expeditions

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using AutoGuide App

Tom | Owner, RedDirtOffroad.com | Rock Walker Build | Lone Star Toyota Jamboree Director | Toyota Trail Riders President
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 02:40 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Garage

I've got it, but haven't cut it or put it in yet...you have to take the back panel off as if you were changing the battery...and it's a royal b****. I'll let you know how it goes after work.

Initial impressions are very sturdy, much more so than expected. You can tell from the edges and lines that the QA is expectedly lax, but the materials and design are good. The Toyota sticker on the back was damaged so I peeled it off, doesn't bother me.

I think I will be posting the update with pics to a different forum since the topic has strayed...will link it once I have it.

EDIT: Turns out the sent the wrong back plate...you don't need to pry apart the button box. As soon as I confirm they are sending me the right one I will take my dremel to this thing and make it work for now :-)

"Autobot Brawn"
2011 NSSE AT

Last edited by Kamokazi; 09-29-2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Updates
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage

Got mine, looks like it would have worked out great, but the guy at Home Depot butchered the key blank ... Anyone need replacement pieces let me know....

K0DDW 2011 BIGGREEN
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 12:14 AM

I ordered mine and it shipped the 23rd. Should be here any day cannot wait. I will post pics and all when I GET IT.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to jcollinson

Alright! Sounds good!

2007 FJ Cruiser, Nitto Terra Grapplers, K&N Aluminum CAI, 4-6" ProComp Long Range up top, 2-5" ProComp Driving Lights on front Grille Guard, Rear Rack Lights, AVIC-D3 with Bluetooth and XM Radio, 12" 2000W Rockford Fosgate Sub & 2000W Amp, Custom-built Sub Box with Line-X coating, ScanGuage II.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > I'd Like to Tell Toyota...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in