Weak Seat Anchor Bolts Superseded - No Recall? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
I'd Like to Tell Toyota... This is for constructive suggestions to be made to Toyota regarding the FJ Cruiser. This is a flame free forum and heavily moderated.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Weak Seat Anchor Bolts Superseded - No Recall?

Had to pull my passenger seat and during re-install one of the bolts parted. The 10mm bolt was supposedly hardened (e.g. had ticks on top of head and had a nice coating of black Martinite).

I was using a torque wrench set to 40 ft/lbs and as I tightened the bolt it seemed to "stretch" for several turns. I expected that it would seat at any moment, instead, Snap.

For the sake of liability I decided to replace the broken bolt with OEM and dropped by the Dealer to order one.

I was informed that that bolt had been superseded by a new part number and that I would be receiving a "better" bolt.

Better?

How?

Why the change?

Has anyone else experienced weak seat anchor bolts or am I just the lucky one?

But more importantly - Has anyone had a seat anchor bolt, or bolts fail in an accident?

I still have 7 other anchor bolts that are now suspect because they have been superseded by a "better" bolt.

Is there a recall for this? Should there be?

PS - I determined the torque value of 40 ft/lbs from this site Metric Steel Bolt Torques - Engineer's Handbook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Wanderlust

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Weak Seat Anchor Bolts Superseded - No Recall?

FWIW, the Factory Service Manual calls out a 31 ft-lb torque for the bolts holding the rear seat belts and 27 ft-lb torque for the bolts holding the seats. I don't have the new improved bolts to make comparison with the original ones. The "better" bolt comment is from the dealer parts person I assume who may or may not have received the information from the Toyota engineers in Japan. If you're concerned, I'd replace all the seat belt bolts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Re: Weak Seat Anchor Bolts Superseded - No Recall?

In my experience Toyota fasteners are historically bad. Torque with much caution.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > I'd Like to Tell Toyota...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in