Very disappointed in the lack of stereo upgrade on 2012 TT - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
I'd Like to Tell Toyota... This is for constructive suggestions to be made to Toyota regarding the FJ Cruiser. This is a flame free forum and heavily moderated.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Very disappointed in the lack of stereo upgrade on 2012 TT

It says it is an available option in the brochure, but when I ordered my 2012 TT they said it was not at all available as any option. I don't understand why a standard FJ could get the JBL stereo but the TT couldn't, or why they couldn't even have it as an upgrade. But the extra annoying part was that it is clearly printed in the brochure. LIES!

[-F69-]bl00k
www.fighting69.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Very disappointed in the lack of stereo upgrade on 2012 TT

right..i ordered my TT (not here yet) but i am very curious about the radio..ive heard bad things..what do you plan to do to upgrade? try to pay for JBL package or go aftermarket?
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage

I have the JBL in my 2012 (not a TT) & it isn't that great, it's not bad, but it has no touch screen, no Nav & only supports (2) Bluetooth devices.

(2) Sounds like enough but no & if you plug your iphone into the USB port to control the Ipod it will NOT let you use the iphones screen to surf music, etc.

You have to use the buttons on the JBL & it isn't user friendly, button after button to switch play lists or artist.

I use MotionX drive from the app store with voice turn by turn as my Nav, but if you are plugged into the USB port it will NOT play the voice direction over the stereo, it will only do it on bluetooth IF you are listening to the ipod, if you are using the fm/am tuner while using nav, again no voice over the stereo.

If I new what I know now, I would have got the standard stereo & got something after market, although the sound/speakers are great so at least if I do up grade I can leave the speakers/subwoofer.

just my opinion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I would trade in my radio for a SFA

SOLD May 14, 2014-Austin Texas Sucks
2011 NSSE: Bilstein 5100's, Toytec coilovers, Toytec superflex springs in the rear, Light Racing UCA, Demello Sliders, Midland CB with bandi mount, KM2 on MB72, FJNewb's Scuba Mod, Toyoutfitters rear links, Rocktec link mount armor, Rocktec shock armor, full set of Ricochet Skids personally installed by Brad at Ricochet , Hi Lift extreme 48" on custom made mounts, custom made mounts for shovel and axe, Springtail HD side mount, Sprintail Cargo/Pet Barrier, The Source tank (with better regulator), H3R HalGuard fire 2.5 extinguisher, BMC
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic47188_4.gif
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1855 Post(s)

The radio/stereo is not bad in the TT. I have had a lot worse in new cars but it is 2012.

One thing I have noticed that useing the bluetooth for a phone conversation going down the road at 80, wind noise, it doesn't have enough volume to hear the other person very well.

It is not easy to use with your iphone because you can't use your iphone screen to pick music/songs.

I still like the FJ enough, these things are just minor.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Garage
I'm convinced that it was a mistake during manufacturing, like the early run for the 2011 TT's that were missing the TRD wheels, dashboard gauges, rear AC plug etc. There's no reason that you wouldn't include the upgraded stereo on the TT, since it is the most loaded version of the vehicle. Fortunately, they remembered to include the upgraded stereo on the 2011's.

But truth be told, the main reason I didn't go with an in-dash navi in my 2011 is that the factory JBL setup in the 2011 NSSE is pretty decent. So maybe you're lucky that its missing, it makes switching to a navi that much more justifiable.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
jimmy-buffett previously said: View Post
I'm convinced that it was a mistake during manufacturing, like the early run for the 2011 TT's that were missing the TRD wheels, dashboard gauges, rear AC plug etc. There's no reason that you wouldn't include the upgraded stereo on the TT, since it is the most loaded version of the vehicle. Fortunately, they remembered to include the upgraded stereo on the 2011's.

But truth be told, the main reason I didn't go with an in-dash navi in my 2011 is that the factory setup is pretty decent. So maybe you're lucky that its missing, it makes switching to a navi that much more justifiable.
Very true you and I have the big mistake but no big deal to me. I didnt want those rims or tires. I wouldn't mind the power outlet though. Also noticed we didn't get a sub cut off switch

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

SOLD May 14, 2014-Austin Texas Sucks
2011 NSSE: Bilstein 5100's, Toytec coilovers, Toytec superflex springs in the rear, Light Racing UCA, Demello Sliders, Midland CB with bandi mount, KM2 on MB72, FJNewb's Scuba Mod, Toyoutfitters rear links, Rocktec link mount armor, Rocktec shock armor, full set of Ricochet Skids personally installed by Brad at Ricochet , Hi Lift extreme 48" on custom made mounts, custom made mounts for shovel and axe, Springtail HD side mount, Sprintail Cargo/Pet Barrier, The Source tank (with better regulator), H3R HalGuard fire 2.5 extinguisher, BMC
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic47188_4.gif
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Forum Veteran

were talking about FJ's here right , not an Escalade ?

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Forum Veteran

Garage
Oh I was wondering when the comments about how the fj should be plain would start lol!

I am reenacting scenes of Platoon with Charlie Sheen.

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Bar3K previously said: View Post
The radio/stereo is not bad in the TT. I have had a lot worse in new cars but it is 2012.

One thing I have noticed that useing the bluetooth for a phone conversation going down the road at 80, wind noise, it doesn't have enough volume to hear the other person very well.

It is not easy to use with your iphone because you can't use your iphone screen to pick music/songs.

I still like the FJ enough, these things are just minor.
you can adjust the volume of the bluetooth phone by using the controls on the steering wheel. *turn it up*

Tim - KDPHF

2012 Trail Teams - Icon Stage 2 w/tubular UCA's - 285 Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX - Warrior Products Front Bumper - Warn VR10000

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > I'd Like to Tell Toyota...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in