Why does the paint suck so bad? - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
I'd Like to Tell Toyota... This is for constructive suggestions to be made to Toyota regarding the FJ Cruiser. This is a flame free forum and heavily moderated.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Re: Why does the paint suck so bad?

Paint is absolutely terrible. I made a thread when I first got mine and I got some dirt on the hood. When I washed it off I could see dull spots on the pain where the mud had been. This is without question the worst of the 8 Toyota trucks I have owned and most likely the last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yeah between the ****ty paint, the knock in the steering and the shaking steering wheel in starting to get disappointed

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

2011 Army Green TTSE. Mods: Boztek CB Mount, Cobra 75W CB with Firestik, Uniden BCT8 mounted on MPAC Saddle Rack, MPAC Cargo Side Rack, MPAC Rear Rack, Husky Liners, Scepter Cans Roof Mounted, Rugged Ridge Headlamp Guards, Body Armor Tail Lamp Guards, Warrior Shovel Mount, Baja Basket, Metal Tech Front Bumper with Bash Plate, Rigid Dually D2 Roof Rack Lights, Ellis Precision Knobs in Stealth Black, ARB Safari Snorkel
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 10:20 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Maybe if you had a proper layer of dirt on there, the bird s**t wouldn't hurt it? Sorry, just kidding.

2007 - Titanium, 6 MT, Locker/A-Trac, TRD exhaust, Trail Gear Sliders, Ricochet Skids, Metal-Tech Bumper, Bilstein 5100s on 3rd notch, Warn 9.5ti, BFG ATs 285/70/17, ToyOutfitters LCAs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 05:15 AM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes the same issue here with me.it was my new car.i didn't like the color . so i just changed it.i don't know whats the matter ,some faded portions are there.it happened one week before,and i think its too late.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Back during the Clinton administration, AlGore and his EnvironMENTALists gave the auto insudtry 3 months to reduce VOC paint emmisions by 50% . Remember all of the vehicles that lost their paint after a couple of years? Since then there has been a world wide push to do the same. Technology had made vast improvments since then but...

Army Green 2011 NSSE (Option Package 3) w/ Tribal Graphics

Last edited by Datajockeys; 07-25-2012 at 10:14 AM.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Forum Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to dflood75

I have two spots on my hood where the bird poop actually ate through the paint to the primer. Happened fairly early in my FJ ownership. Within the first year. I guess it kind of gives me an excuse for a respray!

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 6-Speed
So far: Icon Coilovers, LR Upper Arms, Flowmaster Super 40 with 3 inch custom high tuck, F90BT, tint, 16x9 ATX Artilleries and 305/70r16 BFG KM2's, Customer Pre-runner bumper, Custom rear tube bumper, SILLY stereo build (Hertz, Arc Audio, Pioneer), Warn M8000, Hella Offroad lights, blacked out, HID projector retrofit, Dirty Parts additional battery,etc...
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Forum Veteran

Garage

Paint will not protect the sheetmetal from trees. I drove into one on a trail, and it dented the **** out of the door... what gives? Pretty disappointed in Toyota for not incorporating armor into the paint job. Now I have to live with a caved in door. That, or pay a buttload for a door skin and more non-armored paint.

Josh, a.k.a. "Smokey B."
2007 Black Diamond 5AT, Fabtech 6", and lots of other goodies!

I work here -----> Cruiser Corps
Quote:
銀チタン previously said: View Post
Turtle dump luncheon.

Has a nice ring to it.

- Honorary Member!
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 02:14 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Sgt Casta

Quote:
Hellbound13 previously said: View Post
So a bird **** on my FJ. Not thinking I washed it off using a microfiber and some detailer spray instead of washing it. It scratched the paint to hell. Marks all over. I understand I should have washed it, but wiping off with a rag and some spray should not cause that. Whats with the paint on these things?
Sounds like you may have wiped with the bird **** in between the microfiber cloth and the paint causing the scratches. Best method would be to soak the bird **** with detailer spray until it is soft and then lift the bird **** straight off the paint using a detailer cloth. Next, spray the area again and wipe away using a damp (detailer spray) microfiber cloth, while either changing or rotating cloths in between wipes.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Forum Veteran

I had a 2007 VB, and the paint was absolutely horrible. We had a wind storm that pitted out the paint so bad that the entire vehicle had to be repainted. The paint was awesome after the repaint.

I have just the opposite experience with my '10 (Sandstorm TT). The paint has been really great. I have beat the hell out of it on the trails with a good bit of pinstriping. After a good wax, I can't really even see the scratches anymore. I just wish there was something I could do about the fender flares and vinyl on the doors around the windows. I suppose the scratches there just adds character.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
It seems the paint quality must vary because mine cleans up perfectly with wash and wax, except for areas with deep rocky mountain pinstripes. I've left bird **** on there for 2 weeks and upon removal, no issues.

• 2007 Voodoo 6MT
  • AllPro Walker Evans lift
  • AllPro Uniball UCAs
  • Allpro Rear Lower Links
  • Allpro Roof Rack
  • LCNW Front Tube Bumper
  • LCNW Rear Tube Bumper
  • Warn 9.5 TI Winch with Syn Line
  • Stealth Custom Series Matte Bronze Wheels
  • 285 70 17 Duratracs
  • URD 6MT Quickshifter

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > I'd Like to Tell Toyota...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in